Whester Care & Rehabilitation is a large facility located in Canal Winchester, Ohio. This nursing home received an extremely poor overall score based on the data we looked at. If you are not satisfied with this facility's low overall grade, you may find you have slim pickings in Canal Winchester. The city has just two other nursing homes. We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, nursing grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Whester Care & Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
36 Lehman Dr,
Canal Winchester OH 43110
64.6% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Whester Care & Rehabilitation has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable nursing grade this year. We gave it a grade of B- in that category. When calculating a facility's nursing grade, we consider the number of hours nurses are with patients as well as the level of skill of the nurses. This place provides only 0 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is a somewhat alarming figure which is well below average. Finally, nursing scores also consider quality-based assessments, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this place actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is generally a reliable indicator that a facility has sufficient quality controls in place. Many falls could be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses aids to assist its patients.
Short-term Care Quality
We were also surprised to discover that this nursing home earned a reasonably solid short-term care score this year. We awarded it a B- in that area. Short-term care grades are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This means a broad range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. We found that this facility was below average in the two key staffing areas we focus on. The facility provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. It is important to determine whether this is adversely impacting the quality of care. The final metric we looked at in this area is the number of patients that ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that just 5.2 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Whester Care & Rehabilitation?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility ended up receiving a rock-bottom score in our long-term care area. It was given a lowly F in this category. Nursing homes that don't fare well in this category typically are not as well-staffed and are lagging in a few of the areas of routine healthcare services we looked at. One of the factors we considered in addition to nursing hours is vaccines. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccination to 91.10629 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility had less hospitalizations than the average nursing home. This is its best feature in this category.
Turning to our final category of inspections, this facility received a grade that's as bad as it gets. We weight this category more heavily than our other categories. We would advise paying special attention to any deficiencies on a nursing home's inspection reports when it receives this bad of an inspection grade. We suggest you pay close attention to the severity of the deficiencies. This particular nursing home was hit with 8 deficiencies by CMS. The only positive thing we found is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they caused a threat to resident safety or health. Finally, CMS cited this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. Hopefully, its performance improves in the future, but until then we simply can't recommend this facility.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Whester Care & Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Whester Care & Rehabilitation, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can limit the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Whester Care & Rehabilitation, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure gauges the percent of long-term stay residents who suffered a fall which resulted in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Whester Care & Rehabilitation, 1.71% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often associated with a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this metric can be misleading for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Whester Care & Rehabilitation, 13.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for many medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Whester Care & Rehabilitation, 22.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Whester Care & Rehabilitation, 20.26% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Whester Care & Rehabilitation, 90.12% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Whester Care & Rehabilitation, 14.88% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of erosion of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Whester Care & Rehabilitation, 16.29% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term patients who remained mobile levels.
In Whester Care & Rehabilitation, 1.36 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Whester Care & Rehabilitation, 16.29 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Whester Care & Rehabilitation, 12 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Whester Care & Rehabilitation, 75.25% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with ADL's usually correlates with better rehabilitation.
- Diley Ridge Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.74 miles away7911 Diley Road Canal Winchester Ohio 43110Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 838-7910
- Nationwide Children's HospitalChildrens 11.17 miles away700 Children's Drive Columbus Ohio 43205Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 722-2000
- Grant Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.01 miles away111 South Grant Avenue Columbus Ohio 43215Voluntary non-profit - Church(614) 566-9000
- Mount Carmel WestAcute Care Hospitals 13.16 miles away793 West State Street Columbus Ohio 43222Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 234-5000
- Ohio State University HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 14.62 miles away410 West 10th Avenue Columbus Ohio 43210Government - State(614) 293-9700
- Twin Valley Behavioral HealthcarePsychiatric 14.77 miles away2200 West Broad Street Columbus Ohio 43223Government - Local(614) 752-0333
- Fairfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.49 miles away401 North Ewing Street Lancaster Ohio 43130Voluntary non-profit - Other(740) 687-8009
- Riverside Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.95 miles away3535 Olentangy River Rd Columbus Ohio 43214Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 566-5000
- Fmc Canal Winchester, LLC5.05 miles away1310 Hill Road North Suite 100 Pickerington Ohio 43147Dialysis Stations: 13 (614) 751-8660
- Fmc - Liberty Mid-America Dialysis LLC.6.29 miles away2355 South Hamilton Rd Columbus Ohio 43232CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (614) 367-1679
- Kidney Center of Whitehall LLC7.41 miles away6038 East Main Street Columbus Ohio 43213Dialysis Stations: 17 (614) 866-4250
- Fmc - Mt. Carmel East9.01 miles away85 Mcnaughten Rd., Suite 140 Columbus Ohio 43213CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (614) 322-0433
- Kidney Center of Columbus South9.41 miles away2046 Lockbourne Rd Columbus Ohio 43207Dialysis Stations: 20 (614) 449-7300
- Fmc - Central Ohio East9.5 miles away4039 East Broad Street Columbus Ohio 43213CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (614) 338-8202
- Davita - Columbus East Dialysis9.53 miles away299 Outerbelt Street Columbus Ohio 43213Dialysis Stations: 24 (614) 501-7224
- Kidney Center of Bexley9.64 miles away1151 College Ave. Columbus Ohio 43209Dialysis Stations: 15 (614) 231-2200