Westminster Woods on Julington Creek is a small non-profit nursing home located in Saint Johns, Florida. With an A overall grade, we rated this facility in the top 20 percent of all facilities in the United States. You really can not do any better than this facility. As you will see below, this nursing home also performed well in our category ratings. It is hard to poke holes in this place's profile.
Westminster Woods on Julington Creek
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
25 State Road 13,
Saint Johns FL 32259
79.16% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a great overall grade, this facility also received A+ health inspections in recent years. Its inspections were virtually flawless. Arguably the most significant factor we look at in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Facilities with higher grades in this category most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. While this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
We also would like to point out the fact that this nursing home received a superb score of A in our short-term care category. With our short-term care rating, we try to craft a valuable gauge for rehabilitation. In this process, we analyze the nursing home's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. This nursing home is the gold standard in terms of skilled nursing staffing. It supplied about 50% more physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than the average nursing home. This is what we look for when assessing a facility in this category. The last measure we looked at in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We found that it fared as well as just about any facility in Florida in this area with 60.5 percent of its residents returning home. With most nursing homes, fewer than half of their short-term residents are able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Westminster Woods on Julington Creek?
This facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Our nursing rating is based on a handful of components, most of which are tied to quantities of nurse staffing. This nursing home boasts a really impressive 4.1 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis, of which a significant portion of those hours were provided by registered nurses. This is one of the most highly highly trained levels of nurses. In addition to looking at levels of nursing care, we also looked at a few quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. These include minimizing residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We look at these areas as predictive measures of the caliber of nursing care offered, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we scored was long-term care, where this facility was awarded a grade of B+. This wrapped up a very impressive report card. Not many facilities received a B+ or higher in all four categories. In a long-term care setting, the primary goal is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. Even though we determined this nursing home had an impressive volume of nursing hours provided by nurses and other nursing staff, we found its vaccine statistics to be somewhat slightly lower than we anticipated. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to just 90 percent of its patients. This is one statistic we would love to see this facility improve on. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Westminster Woods on Julington Creek Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Westminster Woods on Julington Creek, 9.04% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Westminster Woods on Julington Creek, 2.8% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who have had a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Westminster Woods on Julington Creek, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often the result of facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Additional nurse staffing can minimize the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Westminster Woods on Julington Creek, 11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Westminster Woods on Julington Creek, 21.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This gauges the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Westminster Woods on Julington Creek, 2.43% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents demonstrating symptoms of depression. Increased levels of depression could be a sign worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Westminster Woods on Julington Creek, 95.03% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these types of vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Westminster Woods on Julington Creek, 13.16% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Westminster Woods on Julington Creek, 18.15% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Westminster Woods on Julington Creek, 1.59 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Westminster Woods on Julington Creek, 18.15 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Westminster Woods on Julington Creek, 9.19 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Westminster Woods on Julington Creek, 77.65% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts argue this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
- Nh JacksonvilleAcute Care - Department of Defense 6.51 miles away2080 Child Street Jacksonville Florida 32212Department of Defense(904) 542-7300
- Orange Park Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.18 miles away2001 Kingsley Ave Orange Park Florida 32073Voluntary non-profit - Other(904) 276-8500
- Ascension St Vincent's SouthsideAcute Care Hospitals 9.01 miles away4201 Belfort Rd Jacksonville Florida 32216Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 296-3700
- Memorial Hospital JacksonvilleAcute Care Hospitals 11.1 miles away3625 University Blvd S Jacksonville Florida 32216Proprietary(904) 702-6111
- Ascension St Vincent's Clay CountyAcute Care Hospitals 12.47 miles away1670 St Vincents Way Middleburg Florida 32068Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 602-1000
- Ascension St Vincent's RiversideAcute Care Hospitals 12.83 miles away1 Shircliff Way Jacksonville Florida 32204Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 308-7300
- Baptist Medical Center JacksonvilleAcute Care Hospitals 13.07 miles away800 Prudential Dr Jacksonville Florida 32207Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 202-2000
- Mayo ClinicAcute Care Hospitals 14.83 miles away4500 San Pablo Rd Jacksonville Florida 32224Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 953-2000
- Fresenius Kidney Care Orange Park North5.46 miles away2010 Wells Pond Court Orange Park Florida 32073Dialysis Stations: 13 (904) 264-1101
- Northeast Florida Dialysis Center5.46 miles away2141 Loch Rand Blvd #113 Orange Park Florida 32073CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (904) 272-7331
- Fleming Island Dialysis5.69 miles away4575 Us Hwy 17 Unit 301 Fleming Island Florida 32003Dialysis Stations: 12 (904) 215-2476
- Fmc - Mandarin5.96 miles away9143 Philips Hwy Suite 110 Jacksonville Florida 32256Dialysis Stations: 16 (904) 538-0270
- Jacksonville South Dialysis Center6.34 miles away14965 Old St Augustine Rd Unit 114 Jacksonville Florida 32258CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (904) 880-9494
- Taskett Dialysis, LLC7.08 miles away8021 Philips Highway Suite 15 Jacksonville Florida 32256Dialysis Stations: 16 (904) 636-9652
- Orange Park Kidney Center7.39 miles away2061 Professional Center Dr Orange Park Florida 32073Dialysis Stations: 17 (904) 276-3311
- Ara Collins Road Dialysis Center8.63 miles away6196 Lake Gray Blvd Suite 112 Jacksonville Florida 32244Dialysis Stations: 16 (904) 772-0933