Westminster Towers is in Orlando, Florida, which is one of the most densely populated metropolitan areas in the nation. With an overall grade of A-, this is clearly a very strong nursing home. This is really as good of a nursing home as you'll find. As you can see below, this place also performed well in our category scores. It would be hard to poke holes in this nursing home's profile.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a strong overall grade, this facility also earned excellent health inspections recently. We awarded it one of our best scores in that area, with a grade of A. Arguably the most critical factor we look at in computing our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with better grades in this category typically dodged the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This facility was assessed 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be major deficiencies. This means that the government inspectors did not deem any of these deficiencies to create an imminent risk to patient health or safety. A couple minor dings are not necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
We also want to note the fact that this nursing home was given a high-end grade of A in our short-term care category. In the category of short-term care, we strive to assess indicators of a facility's rehabilitation. We look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients that ultimately returned home from this facility. We found that 5.5 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Westminster Towers?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was awarded a favorable long-term care grade. In fact, we gave it an above average score of B+ in this category. Facilities that receive this type of grade in long-term care typically provide consistent 24/7 care to ensure patients are kept in good health. After looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 97.69453 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Switching gears to our fourth category, this nursing home was awarded an excellent nursing rating. We gave it a B+ in that category, completing one of our better profiles. When computing a facility's nursing grade, we assess the quantity of hours nurses are caring for patients and the level of licensure of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as employing a protocol of turning residents more often.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Westminster Towers Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Westminster Towers, 9.08% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure indicates the percent of long-term residents who have pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Westminster Towers, 2.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents that have had falls which caused serious injury. We use this statistic in computing our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Westminster Towers, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic can also be misleading for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Westminster Towers, 10.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Westminster Towers, 21.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Westminster Towers, 2.33% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients showing signs of depression. Increased levels of depression may be an indicator lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Westminster Towers, 94.94% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Westminster Towers, 13.07% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Westminster Towers, 16.78% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that were able to retain mobility.
In Westminster Towers, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Westminster Towers, 16.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Westminster Towers, 9.16 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Westminster Towers, 78.49% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Orlando, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Orlando, Florida has 19 other nursing homes
- Orlando Health Orlando Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.47 miles away52 W Underwood St Orlando Florida 32806Voluntary non-profit - Private(321) 843-8000
- Adventhealth OrlandoAcute Care Hospitals 2.79 miles away601 E Rollins St Orlando Florida 32803Voluntary non-profit - Private(407) 303-1976
- Health CentralAcute Care Hospitals 9.01 miles away10000 W Colonial Dr Ocoee Florida 34761Government - State(407) 296-1820
- Nemours Children's HospitalChildrens 12.38 miles away13535 Nemours Pkwy Orlando Florida 32827Voluntary non-profit - Private(407) 567-4000
- Oviedo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.68 miles away8300 Red Bug Lake Rd Oviedo Florida 32765Proprietary(407) 890-2100
- Osceola Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.2 miles away700 West Oak Street Kissimmee Florida 34741Proprietary(407) 846-2266
- Central Florida Kidney Centers Inc0.15 miles away203 Ernestine Street Orlando Florida 32801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (407) 843-6110
- Orlando Home Training Dialysis0.64 miles away116 Sturtevant St Ste 2 Orlando Florida 32806Dialysis Stations: 4 (407) 849-1567
- Orlando Dialysis0.64 miles away116 Sturtevant St Orlando Florida 32806CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (407) 426-9212
- Hewell Kids Kidney Center at Orlando Health0.73 miles away92 W Miller Street Orlando Florida 32806Dialysis Stations: 5 (321) 841-7970
- Florida Hospital Esrd2.92 miles away601 E Rollins St Orlando Florida 32803Dialysis Stations: 12 (407) 303-1985
- Central Orlando Dialysis3.24 miles away2548 N Orange Blossom Trail #400 Orlando Florida 32804CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (407) 246-5081
- West Orange Orlando Dialysis Center LLC3.39 miles away828 Mercy Drive Suite 2 Orlando Florida 32808Dialysis Stations: 16 (321) 710-0352
- Central Florida Kidney Center - Vineland4.27 miles away4407 Vineland Rd Suite d2 Orlando Florida 32811Dialysis Stations: 16 (407) 425-4415