Westminster Suncoast is in the densely populated metropolitan area of Saint Petersburg, Florida. With an overall rating of A-, this nursing home is one of the more impressive nursing homes we looked at. Saint Petersburg features a slew of other nursing homes, however, it is doubtful you will need to visit too many others. This one looks like a very fine option. The best aspect of this facility's impressive report card is its short-term care score. We discuss short-term care in the next section
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
1095 Pinellas Point Dr S,
Saint Petersburg FL 33705
69.83% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall score, this nursing home excelled at short-term care. In fact, we gave it an A for that category. Our short-term care ratings are vital for patients needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a broad range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final measure we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that 6.2 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Adding to this nursing home's impressive resume, we awarded this nursing home an A for our inspections rating. Inspection ratings are based on pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspections. Nursing homes that excel in this category typically have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Although this facility had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe made us feel better about this inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Westminster Suncoast?
This facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. We weighed the qualifications of nurses working for the nursing home, in addition to the number of hours those nurses spent with patients, in calculating our grade in this category. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we looked at is long-term care. In that area, we awarded this facility a solid grade of C. This is this nursing home's worst area. In a long-term care setting, the primary objective is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. Once we looked at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination statistics. We were optimistic to discover that this facility vaccinated 97.872345 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Westminster Suncoast Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Westminster Suncoast, 9.08% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Westminster Suncoast, 2.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients who sustained falls which resulted in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Westminster Suncoast, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often the result of facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Closer supervision can minimize the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Westminster Suncoast, 10.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Westminster Suncoast, 21.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Westminster Suncoast, 2.33% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients who are showing depressive symptoms. Some argue this is a measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Westminster Suncoast, 94.94% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Westminster Suncoast, 13.07% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of deterioration of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Westminster Suncoast, 16.78% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who were able to retain mobility. Many in the industry argue that mobility is vital to patients physical and mental health.
In Westminster Suncoast, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Westminster Suncoast, 16.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Westminster Suncoast, 9.16 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Westminster Suncoast, 78.49% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Saint Petersburg, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Saint Petersburg, Florida has 26 other nursing homes
- Bayfront Health - St PetersburgAcute Care Hospitals 4.05 miles away701 6th St S Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 823-1234
- Johns Hopkins All Children's HospitalChildrens 4.12 miles away501 Sixth Avenue South Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Voluntary non-profit - Other(813) 898-7451
- St Anthonys HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.11 miles away1200 Seventh Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33705Voluntary non-profit - Church(727) 825-1100
- Palms of Pasadena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.33 miles away1501 Pasadena Ave S Saint Petersburg Florida 33707Proprietary(727) 381-1000
- St Petersburg General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.33 miles away6500 38th Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33710Proprietary(727) 384-1414
- Northside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.79 miles away6000 49th St N Saint Petersburg Florida 33709Proprietary(813) 521-5000
- Manatee Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.06 miles away206 2nd St E Bradenton Florida 34208Proprietary(941) 746-5111
- Blake Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.32 miles away2020 59th St W Bradenton Florida 34209Proprietary(941) 792-6611
- St Petersburg Kidney Care South2.55 miles away4050 34th St S Saint Petersburg Florida 33711CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (727) 867-1279
- Fresenius Kidney Care-St Petersburg3.87 miles away446 4th Street S Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Dialysis Stations: 17 (727) 896-5500
- Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital Dialysis4.12 miles away501 6th Ave S 6500000410 Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Dialysis Stations: 7 (727) 767-4166
- St Petersburg Kidney Care4.39 miles away800 3rd Ave S. Webb Plaza Saint Petersburg Florida 33701CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (727) 821-3201
- Fmc - South Saint Petersburg4.4 miles away650 34th St S Saint Petersburg Florida 33711Dialysis Stations: 31 (727) 321-2527
- St Petersburg Dialysis4.65 miles away1117 Arlington Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33705Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 896-9029
- St Petersburg South Dialysis4.72 miles away2850 34th Street S Saint Petersburg Florida 33711CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 864-4050
- H Street North - St Petersburg5.17 miles away635 4th St No Saint Petersburg Florida 33701CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (727) 821-4654