Westminster Canterbury Chesapeake is an average-sized non-profit facility located in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Featuring an overall grade of A, this nursing home is among the best nursing homes we looked at. Even in a city offering 10 nursing homes, this nursing home stands out. Headlining this facility's exemplary profile is its nursing grade, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Westminster Canterbury Chesapeake
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
3100 Shore Drive,
Virginia Beach VA 23451
73.42% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
We also would like to note that this nursing home excelled in our nursing score. We awarded them an A+ in this category. The nursing rating assesses several subcategories, but the paramount consideration is the level of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home provides an incredible 5.7 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. Out of this total, many of the hours were provided by registered nurses, which is one of the most highly highly trained levels of nurses. On top of providing impressive levels of care, this facility was also above average in each of the major quality measures we looked at in this category. It performed well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received an A+ short-term care grade, rendering it one of the few facilities to receive multiple A+ category grades. Our short-term care grades are critical for residents requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing. This means a broad spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. This place provided more registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most facilities. This is what we like to find when assessing a nursing home in this category. The last metric we looked at in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We found that it performed as well as just about any nursing home in Virginia in this area with 70.4 percent of its residents returning home. At most nursing homes, fewer than half of their short-term residents are able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Westminster Canterbury Chesapeake?
Racking up another strong category grade, this nursing home also excelled in inspections, where it earned a grade of A. Perhaps the most important factor we look at in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places with higher grades in this category typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we scored was long-term care. This facility received a favorable nursing rating in our assessment, with a grade of B. Although this was not quite as elite as several of its other grades, this is still one of the more impressive scores for that area. When facilities receive this kind of grade in this category it is a good sign for patient care and suggests that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses aids. After considering the very impressive nursing care provided by this nursing home, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 99.55947 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is much higher than the average nursing home. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Westminster Canterbury Chesapeake Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Westminster Canterbury Chesapeake, 8.83% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care reduces the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Westminster Canterbury Chesapeake, 3.6% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Falls are routinely caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Westminster Canterbury Chesapeake, 2.65% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Westminster Canterbury Chesapeake, 13.5% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used for treating several medical conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Westminster Canterbury Chesapeake, 21.24% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Westminster Canterbury Chesapeake, 4.13% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Westminster Canterbury Chesapeake, 91.75% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Westminster Canterbury Chesapeake, 16.97% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the deterioration of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Westminster Canterbury Chesapeake, 23.72% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that were able to retain mobility. Many in the industry argue that mobility is vital to residents' health.
In Westminster Canterbury Chesapeake, 1.22 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Westminster Canterbury Chesapeake, 23.72 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Westminster Canterbury Chesapeake, 11.68 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Westminster Canterbury Chesapeake, 75.36% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with ADL's typically correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for Virginia Beach, VA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Virginia Beach, Virginia has 9 other nursing homes
- Sentara Virginia Beach General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.18 miles away1060 First Colonial Road Virginia Beach Virginia 23454Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 395-8000
- Sentara Leigh HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.54 miles away830 Kempsville Road Norfolk Virginia 23502Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 261-6700
- Bon Secours Depaul Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.18 miles away150 Kingsley Lane Norfolk Virginia 23505Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 889-5000
- Childrens Hospital of the Kings Daughters IncChildrens 12.75 miles away601 Children's Lane Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 668-9647
- Sentara Norfolk General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.98 miles away600 Gresham Dr Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 388-3000
- Nmc PortsmouthAcute Care - Department of Defense 13.37 miles away620 John Paul Jones Circle Portsmouth Virginia 23708Department of Defense(757) 953-5008
- Chesapeake General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.79 miles away736 Battlefield Blvd, North Chesapeake Virginia 23320Government - Hospital District or Authority(757) 312-8121
- Bon Secours Maryview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.79 miles away3636 High Street Portsmouth Virginia 23707Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 398-2200
- Camelot Dialysis Center3.95 miles away1800 Camelot Dr Ste 100 Virginia Beach Virginia 23454CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (757) 481-6879
- Davita - Virginia Beach4.51 miles away740 Independence Cir Virginia Beach Virginia 23455CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (757) 499-1301
- Fmc - First Colonial4.59 miles away933 First Colonial Rd Suite 112 Virginia Beach Virginia 23454Dialysis Stations: 21 (757) 428-1869
- Stines Dialysis LLC6.51 miles away230 Clearfield Ave Ste 106 Virginia Beach Virginia 23462Dialysis Stations: 12 (757) 518-9439
- Fmc - Virginia Beach6.65 miles away525 S Independence Blvd Ste 150 Virginia Beach Virginia 23452CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (757) 687-7902
- Princess Anne Dialysis6.88 miles away3973 Holland Rd Virginia Beach Virginia 23452CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (757) 340-3526
- Leigh Dialysis Center7.39 miles away420 N Center Dr Bldg 11 Ste 128 Norfolk Virginia 23502CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (757) 455-0060
- Kempsville Dialysis Center7.53 miles away6320 North Center Dr Bldg 15 Ste 140 Norfolk Virginia 23502CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (757) 466-9446