Westfield Gardens Nursing and Rehab is a nursing home in Westfield, Massachusetts. The city has a total of 41,804 people. This nursing home was awarded an overall grade of B-, which is a solid rating. You can definitely do worse than this facility. This nursing home was better in some categories than others, but it did not have any bad scores in any of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Westfield Gardens Nursing and Rehab
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
This facility received a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to point out its excellent government inspections in recent years. We awarded them an A- in this category. Inspection grades are tied to pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that score well in this area have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a positive grade in short-term care. This nursing home earned a B in this category, which is one of our better grades. In determining our short-term care grades, we assess a nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. This category is frequently a solid assessment of the nursing home's rehabilitation services. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final item we assessed in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that 5.4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Westfield Gardens Nursing and Rehab?
In addition, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B in our nursing category. This is one of our better grades. We analyzed the skill-level of nurses working for the facility, as well as the quantity of time the nurses were with patients, in determining our rating in this category. This facility provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility Massachusetts in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by having a protocol of moving patients more often.
Long-term Care Quality
Our last category is long-term care, where we awarded this nursing home a grade of C in that category. In our long-term care rating, we focus on the sheer quantity of services provided by a facility, along with a few quality statistics. After considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. Frankly, we were a bit concerned this facility vaccinated 89.70588 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which happens to be significantly lower than what we expected. Nevertheless, this nursing home was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Westfield Gardens Nursing and Rehab Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Westfield Gardens Nursing and Rehab, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Westfield Gardens Nursing and Rehab, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure tells you the percent of long-term care patients which had a fall resulting in serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Westfield Gardens Nursing and Rehab, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often the result of worse hygiene protocols. Additional nurse staffing can reduce the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Westfield Gardens Nursing and Rehab, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used for treating several conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Westfield Gardens Nursing and Rehab, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This measures the percent of long-term stay patients that were given antianxiety medication. These drugs are typically used to treat patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Westfield Gardens Nursing and Rehab, 1.93% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents who are showing symptoms of depression. Some experts argue this is a measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Westfield Gardens Nursing and Rehab, 91.44% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Westfield Gardens Nursing and Rehab, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and taking a bath. Some argue that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Westfield Gardens Nursing and Rehab, 17.66% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term patients who remained mobile levels.
In Westfield Gardens Nursing and Rehab, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Westfield Gardens Nursing and Rehab, 17.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Westfield Gardens Nursing and Rehab, 10.93 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Westfield Gardens Nursing and Rehab, 71.35% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Baystate Noble HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.82 miles away115 West Silver Street Westfield Massachusetts 01085Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 568-2811
- Baystate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.5 miles away759 Chestnut Street Springfield Massachusetts 01199Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 794-0000
- Mercy Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 5.92 miles away271 Carew Street Springfield Massachusetts 01104Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 748-9000
- Holyoke Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.18 miles away575 Beech Street Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 534-2500
- Cooley Dickinson Hospital Inc,TheAcute Care Hospitals 16.49 miles away30 Locust Street Northampton Massachusetts 01060Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 582-2000
- Baystate Wing Hospital and Medical CentersAcute Care Hospitals 19.35 miles away40 Wright Street Palmer Massachusetts 01069Voluntary non-profit - Other(413) 283-7651
- Heritage Dialysis Center, LLC4.78 miles away67 Cooper Street Agawam Massachusetts 01001Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 786-2022
- Pioneer Valley Dialysis Center5.4 miles away208 Ashley Avenue West Springfield Massachusetts 01089CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (413) 750-3400
- Western Mass. Kidney Center (Bma Springfield)5.63 miles away2000 Main Street Springfield Massachusetts 01103CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (413) 739-4751
- Springfield Dialysis Center6.09 miles away125 Liberty Street, Suite 101 Springfield Massachusetts 01103Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 736-9600
- Ara-Holyoke Dialysis LLC6.18 miles away36 Lower Westfield Rd Unit C-153 Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Dialysis Stations: 20 (413) 533-3128
- Chicopee Dialysis Center6.31 miles awayI 391 Industrial Park 317 Meadow Street Chicopee Massachusetts 01013Dialysis Stations: 17 (413) 535-2529
- Dialysis Center of Western Massachusetts8.56 miles away601 Memorial Drive, Suite H Chicopee Massachusetts 01020Dialysis Stations: 15 (413) 593-3078
- East Springfield Dialysis (Bma of Massachusetts)8.59 miles away1515 State Street Springfield Massachusetts 01109CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 732-1586