With an address in Westfield, Massachusetts, Westfield Center is one of just three available nursing homes in the area. We gave this facility world class overall rating of A. As a matter of fact, this proved to be the number one rated nursing home in the city. Based on all of the relevant data, you can not go wrong with this facility. If you look further down this page, you will see this place's category scores, which are also quite good.
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
60 East Silver Street,
Westfield MA 01085
60.2% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a great overall grade, this facility also received A+ health inspections in recent years. Its inspections were virtually flawless. Our inspection grades are based on pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this category typically have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this place had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
To complement its strong performance in other areas, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. Nursing scores are largely tied to a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 3.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by having a policy of moving a resident at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about Westfield Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning our third category, this facility was given first-rate long-term care score. In fact, we awarded it a score of A- in this area. When facilities receive a grade in this range in this category it generally means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. One of the statistics we considered on top of nursing hours was vaccines. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. This is a reliable method to avoid unnecessary deaths for the senior population. This place also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 1.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a significantly better hospitalization rate than most nursing homes.
Short-term Care Quality
In our last area, we awarded this facility an A+ for our short-term care score. This wrapped up a very impressive report card. In computing our short-term care scores, we scrutinize a nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. This category is more often than not a fair measure of the nursing home's rehabilitation services. This facility provides more services with registered nurses and physical therapists than most nursing homes we looked at. This is often an excellent sign. Finally, we looked at the number of patients that ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that it performed better than most nursing homes in the country in this area with 51.1 percent of its patients returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Westfield Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Westfield Center, 6.42% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Westfield Center, 3.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . Major falls which result in injury are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Westfield Center, 2.4% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who had UTI's. While more infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Westfield Center, 19.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to patients for many medical conditions, including dementia. Sadly, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Westfield Center, 19% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Westfield Center, 1.96% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. High rates of depression may be a sign a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Westfield Center, 91.59% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Westfield Center, 15.22% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could indicate erosion of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Westfield Center, 19.05% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Westfield Center, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Westfield Center, 19.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Westfield Center, 10.96 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Westfield Center, 70.74% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's often correlates with superior rehabilitation.
- Baystate Noble HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.05 miles away115 West Silver Street Westfield Massachusetts 01085Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 568-2811
- Baystate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.82 miles away759 Chestnut Street Springfield Massachusetts 01199Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 794-0000
- Mercy Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 7.33 miles away271 Carew Street Springfield Massachusetts 01104Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 748-9000
- Holyoke Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.34 miles away575 Beech Street Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 534-2500
- Cooley Dickinson Hospital Inc,TheAcute Care Hospitals 15.9 miles away30 Locust Street Northampton Massachusetts 01060Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 582-2000
- Pioneer Valley Dialysis Center6.37 miles away208 Ashley Avenue West Springfield Massachusetts 01089CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (413) 750-3400
- Heritage Dialysis Center, LLC6.53 miles away67 Cooper Street Agawam Massachusetts 01001Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 786-2022
- Ara-Holyoke Dialysis LLC6.6 miles away36 Lower Westfield Rd Unit C-153 Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Dialysis Stations: 20 (413) 533-3128
- Western Mass. Kidney Center (Bma Springfield)7.14 miles away2000 Main Street Springfield Massachusetts 01103CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (413) 739-4751
- Chicopee Dialysis Center7.18 miles awayI 391 Industrial Park 317 Meadow Street Chicopee Massachusetts 01013Dialysis Stations: 17 (413) 535-2529
- Springfield Dialysis Center7.65 miles away125 Liberty Street, Suite 101 Springfield Massachusetts 01103Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 736-9600
- Dialysis Center of Western Massachusetts9.33 miles away601 Memorial Drive, Suite H Chicopee Massachusetts 01020Dialysis Stations: 15 (413) 593-3078
- East Springfield Dialysis (Bma of Massachusetts)9.98 miles away1515 State Street Springfield Massachusetts 01109CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 732-1586