Westborough Healthcare is an average-sized nursing home in Westborough, Massachusetts. We gave it an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the pack score. This place seems to have a few things going for it. One of the better aspects of this facility's report card is its impressive inspection grade, which we will address in the next paragraph.
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Respiratory Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
We want to draw your attention to the fact that this facility outperformed its overall grade in the category of inspections. In fact, it received an excellent government inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in this area with an A-. Inspection ratings weigh a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher scores in this category typically have very few of these severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, we awarded this facility a grade of B+ in our long-term care category. This happens to be one of our more favorable grades. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. One of the factors we considered after nursing hours is vaccinations. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to 97.44409 percent of its residents. This is a proven method to avoid unnecessary hospitalizations for the senior population. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Westborough Healthcare?
In addition, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B in our nursing category. This is one of our better grades. When determining our nursing scores, we factor in both staffing levels and the levels of licensure of the nurses. This nursing home averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home Massachusetts in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of moving a resident more frequently.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we scored was short-term care, was this nursing home's weakest category. We awarded this nursing home a D in that category. This really was one of the couple of dings of an otherwise strong report card. Our short-term care ratings are crucial for patients seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing services. This includes a wide scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. It looks like this facility was subpar in two of the key staffing areas we assessed. In fact, it offered fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. The final metric we considered in this area is the number of patients that ultimately were able to return home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 5.1 percent of its patients returning home. Unfortunately, this was well below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Westborough Healthcare Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Westborough Healthcare, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Westborough Healthcare, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Westborough Healthcare, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Westborough Healthcare, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Westborough Healthcare, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Westborough Healthcare, 1.93% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Westborough Healthcare, 91.44% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Westborough Healthcare, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and taking a bath. Some experts believe that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Westborough Healthcare, 17.66% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Westborough Healthcare, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Westborough Healthcare, 17.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Westborough Healthcare, 10.93 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Westborough Healthcare, 71.35% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts argue that this is a measure of rehabilitation services.
- Marlborough HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.43 miles away157 Union Street Marlborough Massachusetts 01752Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 481-5000
- Umass Memorial Medical Center IncAcute Care Hospitals 7.56 miles away55 Lake Avenue North Worcester Massachusetts 01655Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 334-1000
- St Vincent HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.41 miles away123 Summer Street Worcester Massachusetts 01608Proprietary(508) 363-5000
- Metrowest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.61 miles away115 Lincoln Street Framingham Massachusetts 01701Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 383-1000
- Milford Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.51 miles away14 Prospect Street Milford Massachusetts 01757Voluntary non-profit - Other(508) 473-1190
- Emerson Hospital -Acute Care Hospitals 17.36 miles away133 Old Road to 9 Acre Corner Concord Massachusetts 01742Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 369-1400
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital - NeedhamAcute Care Hospitals 18.77 miles away148 Chestnut Street Needham Heights Massachusetts 02494Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 453-3002
- Newton-Wellesley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.84 miles away2014 Washington Street Newton Lower Falls Massachusetts 02462Voluntary non-profit - Other(617) 243-6000
- Fresenius Medical Care of Marlborough3.41 miles away360 Cedar Hill Street Suite 3 Marlborough Massachusetts 01752CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (508) 460-9250
- University Dialysis Center (Bma of Shrewsbury)6.73 miles away239-243 Boston Turnpike Road Shrewsbury Massachusetts 01545Dialysis Stations: 16 (508) 753-0886
- U-Mass Memorial Health Care Systems7.55 miles awayDialysis Unit 55 Lake Avenue North Rm h7-331 Worcester Massachusetts 01655Dialysis Stations: 13 (774) 442-3814
- Bio-Medical Applications of Massachusetts Inc7.81 miles away867 Grafton Street Worcester Massachusetts 01604Dialysis Stations: 16 (203) 387-9332
- Freedom Center of Worcester7.93 miles away1 Innovation Drive Suite 110 Worcester Massachusetts 01605Dialysis Stations: 6 (508) 767-3950
- Davita Shrewsbury Street Dialysis8.68 miles away267 Shrewsbury Street Worcester Massachusetts 01604Dialysis Stations: 16 (774) 530-6353
- Fresenius Medical Care Framingham8.99 miles away110 Mt. Wayte Ave. Framingham Massachusetts 01702CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (508) 628-3801
- Saint Vincent's Hospital9.78 miles awayHemodialysis Unit 123 Summer St, Suite 380 Worcester Massachusetts 01608Dialysis Stations: 12 (508) 363-9460