West Park Care Center is an average-sized facility located in Columbus, Ohio. This facility received an overall grade of D, which is a subpar grade. Unfortunately, this grade isn't too far off the city grade for Columbus, which is a C. Nevertheless, you still ought to be able to do better If you aren't deterred by this facility's profile, feel free to continue reading to find out about its category scores. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
West Park Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not very complementary of this nursing home's overall score, it actually received a very impressive inspection report this year. In fact, it received an excellent inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our best scores in that category with an A. Arguably the most important factor we consider in calculating our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. It is typically in your best interest to avoid places that have too many deficiencies. While this facility had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this facility a middle of the road grade in the area of long-term care, with a C. For prospective patients seeking a permanent residence rather than rehabilitation, long-term care grades are an important measure. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is better than the average nursing home. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about West Park Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Our next category we looked at was short-term care, in which this facility received an F. In forming our short-term care grades, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The purpose is to formulate a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. With a grade this poor in this area, we weren't surprised to learn this place was well below average in multiple staffing metrics we assess. It provided substantially fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The final statistic we looked at in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 4.6 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these subpar statistics sunk this facility's short-term care score.
The final category we graded is nursing. It received a lowly F for this area, which is a poor grade. Nursing scores are based largely on levels of nurse staffing. With a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily, this place's nurse staffing levels were significantly below average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing scores. This facility performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
West Park Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In West Park Care Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of long-term patients that suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are an measure of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In West Park Care Center, 3.69% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who suffered falls which resulted in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In West Park Care Center, 1.8% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In West Park Care Center, 13.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who were given antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such drugs are not medically indicated. However, some facilities may need to rely more on these drugs due to having more patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In West Park Care Center, 22.35% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term patients who were given antianxiety medication. These drugs are typically used to treat patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In West Park Care Center, 20% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents showing symptoms of depression. Higher levels of depression could indicate lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In West Park Care Center, 90.19% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In West Park Care Center, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and continence. Some experts argue this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In West Park Care Center, 18.5% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In West Park Care Center, 18.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In West Park Care Center, 74.54% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's often correlates with better rehabilitation services.
Scores for Columbus, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Columbus, Ohio has 35 other nursing homes
- Twin Valley Behavioral HealthcarePsychiatric 2.5 miles away2200 West Broad Street Columbus Ohio 43223Government - Local(614) 752-0333
- Mount Carmel WestAcute Care Hospitals 3.64 miles away793 West State Street Columbus Ohio 43222Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 234-5000
- Doctors HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.16 miles away5100 West Broad Street Columbus Ohio 43228Voluntary non-profit - Church(614) 544-1000
- Grant Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.02 miles away111 South Grant Avenue Columbus Ohio 43215Voluntary non-profit - Church(614) 566-9000
- Nationwide Children's HospitalChildrens 5.25 miles away700 Children's Drive Columbus Ohio 43205Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 722-2000
- Ohio State University HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 5.85 miles away410 West 10th Avenue Columbus Ohio 43210Government - State(614) 293-9700
- Riverside Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8 miles away3535 Olentangy River Rd Columbus Ohio 43214Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 566-5000
- Dublin Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.37 miles away7500 Hospital Avenue Dublin Ohio 43016Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 544-8000
- Davita - Columbus West at Home2.73 miles away1391 Georgesville Rd. Columbus Ohio 43228Dialysis Stations: 3 (614) 279-8495
- Davita - Columbus West Dialysis2.73 miles away1395 Georgesville Road Columbus Ohio 43228Dialysis Stations: 12 (614) 279-8495
- Davita - Grove City Dialysis2.89 miles away4155 Kelnor Drive Grove City Ohio 43123Dialysis Stations: 8 (614) 801-0323
- Fmc - Grove City3.01 miles away3149 Farm Bank Way Groveport Ohio 43125CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (614) 875-2349
- Fmc Liberty Dialysis West Columbus3.52 miles away4500 West Broad St Columbus Ohio 43228Dialysis Stations: 19 (614) 853-5995
- Fmc - Mt. Carmel West3.57 miles away745 West State St Suite 660 Columbus Ohio 43222Dialysis Stations: 20 (614) 224-2344
- Fmc - Greater Columbus Regional Dialysis, LLC4.93 miles away285 E. State St., Suite 170 Columbus Ohio 43215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (614) 228-9114
- Davita - Columbus Downtown Dialysis4.95 miles away415 East Mound Street Columbus Ohio 43215Dialysis Stations: 24 (614) 228-1773