West Meade Place is located in the large metropolitan area of Nashville, Tennessee. Sporting an overall score of B-, this is likely a middle of the road nursing home. While there isn't anything wrong with a B-, it is worth noting that Nashville received a city grade of B+ so there are some good options in this city. The best part of this nursing home's report card was its remarkable inspection grade. We discuss inspections in the next section.
West Meade Place
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
1000 St Luke Drive,
Nashville TN 37205
73.91% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
This facility earned a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to emphasize its excellent government inspection reports in recent years. We awarded them an A in this category. Our inspection ratings are tied to many pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that score well in this area have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this place had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' scale. A couple minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a strong grade in long-term care. This nursing home received a grade of B in this category, which turns out to be one of our better grades. For prospective residents looking for a permanent residence as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care grades are an important measure. This facility's vaccination data weren't as favorable some of its other statistics in this area, such as its number of nursing hours per resident. This facility gave the pneumonia vaccine to just 85.60311 percent of its patients. We'd like to see some improvement in this area in the future. Fortunately, this facility excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Although it had 2.87 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, its risk adjusted metric was better than most nursing homes due to it having some more complex patients.
Does this page answer your questions about West Meade Place?
Short-term Care Quality
The third area we graded is short-term care, where this facility was given a grade of B- in this category. In determining these short-term care scores, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our objective is to create a scale for comparing the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. One of this nursing home's strength is that it offers more hours of physical therapy per week to its residents. Lastly, we considered the number of patients that were able to return home from this facility. On top of performing well in the area of physical therapy hours, we found that it also fared well in this metric with 62.3 percent of its patients returning home. Most nursing homes are below 50 percent in this statistic.
The next area we rated was nursing, which turned out to be this nursing home's weakest category. We gave this facility a grade of D in that area. Sadly, this grade hurt the nursing home's overall grade a bit. Our nursing rating is based on the facility's nurse staffing levels. We factor in both the levels of licensure of the nurses as well as the amount of time spent with residents. In this nursing home's case, quantity of care does not appear to be the problem. According to its CMS reports, this nursing home provided an average of 4.7 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis, which was above the national average. Despite performing well in terms of nursing hours, this nursing home was a bit less impressive in some of the quality-based measures we looked at in determining our nursing scores. We looked at the percent of residents sustaining pressure ulcers and found that this place was at roughly 150 percent of the national average in this statistic. This is likely a bad sign when you consider that many bed sores are believed to be preventable with better nursing care. Unfortunately, this statistic pulled down this nursing home's nursing grade substantially.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
West Meade Place Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In West Meade Place, 9.49% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In West Meade Place, 3.51% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term patients that suffered a fall leading to severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In West Meade Place, 3.12% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents who suffered from urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indication of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this statistic could also be skewed for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In West Meade Place, 15.81% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Tragically, in some situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In West Meade Place, 29.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are used to treat residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In West Meade Place, 8.77% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who are showing signs of depression. Some would argue this is a reliable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In West Meade Place, 89.84% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In West Meade Place, 16.62% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In West Meade Place, 26.14% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term care residents that retained mobility levels.
In West Meade Place, 1.21 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is key to the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In West Meade Place, 26.14 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In West Meade Place, 11.25 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In West Meade Place, 72.83% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts would argue that this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Nashville, TN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Nashville, Tennessee has 6 other nursing homes
- Vanderbilt University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.23 miles away1211 Medical Center Drive Nashville Tennessee 37232Voluntary non-profit - Private(615) 322-3454
- Tristar Centennial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.36 miles away2300 Patterson Street Nashville Tennessee 37203Proprietary(615) 342-1000
- Saint Thomas Midtown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.66 miles away2000 Church St Nashville Tennessee 37236Voluntary non-profit - Private(615) 284-5555
- Metro Nashville General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.07 miles away1818 Albion Street Nashville Tennessee 37208Government - Hospital District or Authority(615) 341-4490
- Tristar Southern Hills Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.28 miles away391 Wallace Rd Nashville Tennessee 37211Proprietary(615) 781-4000
- Williamson Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.57 miles away4321 Carothers Parkway Franklin Tennessee 37067Government - Hospital District or Authority(615) 435-5000
- Rolling Hills Psychiatric HospitalPsychiatric 12.76 miles away2014 Quail Hollow Circle Franklin Tennessee 37067Voluntary non-profit - Private(615) 226-4930
- Tristar Skyline Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.14 miles away3441 Dickerson Pike Nashville Tennessee 37207Voluntary non-profit - Private(615) 769-2000
- Dialysis Associates, LLC3.44 miles away28 White Bridge Road Suite 311 Nashville Tennessee 37205Dialysis Stations: 5 (615) 354-8751
- Whitebridge Dialysis3.44 miles away103 White Bridge Road #6 Nashville Tennessee 37209CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (615) 352-5535
- Rcg West Nashville4.42 miles away344 White Bridge Pike Nashville Tennessee 37209CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (615) 353-2113
- Srs-Nashville Hh LLC5.66 miles away3900 Clifton Ave Nashville Tennessee 37209Dialysis Stations: 10 (615) 988-7881
- Nashville Home Training Dialysis6.74 miles away1919 Charlotte Ave Ste 200 Nashville Tennessee 37203Dialysis Stations: 7 (615) 329-1162
- Dci Nashville6.92 miles away935 21st Avenue North Nashville Tennessee 37208CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (615) 327-3984
- Dci Medical Center7.02 miles away1600 Hayes St. Main Floor Nashville Tennessee 37203CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (615) 327-3302
- Dci Home Training of Middle Tn7.07 miles away1633 Church Street Suite 160 Nashville Tennessee 37203Dialysis Stations: 2 (615) 329-1812