West Lawrence Care Center is a senior living facility in Far Rockaway, New York, a city with 71,951 people. This nursing home was given an extremely poor overall score based on the data we assessed. If you aren't happy with this facility's overall grade, you should be able to find a better option in Far Rockaway. The city has at least 10 other nursing homes. We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, we will discuss long-term care in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
West Lawrence Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Far Rockaway senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
Although this facility's overall grade was horrible, it surprisingly fared well in the area of long-term care. In fact, we awarded it a B+ for that category, which is a solid grade. This is one of the only favorable things we can tell you about this place. When facilities receive this type of score in this category it is typically a good sign for resident care and suggests that the facility is well-staffed with nurses aids. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 95.19868 percent of its patients. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients healthy. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Interestingly, this facility's terrible overall grade can't really be attributed to its government inspection reports. We awarded it a grade of C for our inspections rating. We would argue that one of the most critical factors in evaluating an inspection report is deficiencies. We especially look at the severity of the deficiencies. This facility had 2 deficiencies on its government inspection report, but we were relieved to find that none were in any of the categories labeled G through L. This indicates this facility avoided the more ominous categories of deficiencies. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Does this page answer your questions about West Lawrence Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
In addition, we gave this nursing home an F in the category of short-term care. Short-term care ratings are crucial for individuals needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually requires more highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes a vast spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. With its score in this category, we weren't stunned to learn that this facility is well below average in terms of the quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its residents based on the metrics we assessed. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who ultimately returned home from this facility. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 5 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit off the national average.
The last area we scored is nursing. We gave it an abysmal F for this area, which is a very poor score. There are a number of factors within this area. Most of the subcategories are tied to staffing levels. This place provided a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Unfortunately, this nursing home also had abysmal marks in some of the quality-based measures to pair with its weak nursing hour totals. We looked at the percent of residents suffering pressure ulcers and we were very disappointed. This nursing home was at approximately 150 percent of the national average in this metric. This is likely a bad sign when you consider that so many bed sores could be avoided with better nursing care. This statistic helped pull down this nursing home's nursing grade quite a bit.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
West Lawrence Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In West Lawrence Care Center, 10.95% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In West Lawrence Care Center, 2.15% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a fall which caused severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In West Lawrence Care Center, 0.7% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who have suffered from a UTI. Although more of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare between nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In West Lawrence Care Center, 15.81% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In West Lawrence Care Center, 0% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In West Lawrence Care Center, 96.68% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In West Lawrence Care Center, 21.07% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may indicate the decline of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In West Lawrence Care Center, 15.23% of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who retained mobility levels.
In West Lawrence Care Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In West Lawrence Care Center, 15.23% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In West Lawrence Care Center, 12.6% of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In West Lawrence Care Center, 90.99% of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Far Rockaway, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Far Rockaway, New York has 10 other nursing homes
- St John's Episcopal Hospital at South ShoreAcute Care Hospitals 0.31 miles away327 Beach 19th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Voluntary non-profit - Church(718) 869-7000
- Jamaica Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.13 miles away89th Avenue and Van Wyck Expressway Richmond Hill New York 11418Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 262-6000
- Queens Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.9 miles away82-68 164th Street Jamaica New York 11432Government - Local(718) 883-3000
- Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.92 miles away1000 North Village Avenue Rockville Centre New York 11570Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 705-2525
- Brookdale Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.39 miles away1 Brookdale Plaza Brooklyn New York 11212Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 240-5966
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 10.11 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- New York Community Hospital of Brooklyn, Inc.Acute Care Hospitals 10.41 miles away2525 Kings Highway Brooklyn New York 11229Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 692-5302
- Kingsbrook Jewish Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.51 miles away585 Schenectady Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 604-5789
- Marjorie Basser Dialysis Center0.34 miles awaySt. John's Episcopal Hospital 327 Beach 19th Street, Dialysis Unit Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 15 (718) 869-7637
- Peninsula Continuum Services LLC0.38 miles away50-15 Beach Channel Drive Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 734-2190
- Rockaway Hd LLC0.44 miles away529 Beach 20th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 327-4503
- Woodmere Dialysis LLC3.38 miles awayFive Towns Premier Nursing and Rehabilitation 1050 Central Avenue Woodmere New York 11598Dialysis Stations: 14 (516) 791-5277
- Springfield Dialysis Center4.42 miles away134-35 Springfield Boulevard Springfield Gardens New York 11413CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 978-1233
- West Nassau Dialysis Ctr, Inc5.36 miles away75 Rockaway Avenue Valley Stream New York 11580CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (516) 823-4444
- Davita Lynbrook Dialysis Center5.43 miles away147 Scranton Avenue Lynbrook New York 11563CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (516) 596-4101
- Fms-St. Alban's Dialysis Center6.17 miles away172-70 Baisley Blvd Jamaica New York 11434CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 949-1600