West Jefferson Health Care Center is located in Harvey, Louisiana, a city with a population of 39,887 people. We gave it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the pack rating. In our view, this facility ought to be a good fit for most people. The best part of this place's report card is its exemplary inspection reports. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph.
West Jefferson Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2021 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Personal Care
- Home Making
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a respectable facility overall, this place really excelled in the category of inspections, where it earned a grade of A. Few facilities performed better in this category. Our inspection ratings are based on items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that receive favorable grades in this category have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' scale. A few minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was awarded a strong long-term care grade. As a matter of fact, we gave them a grade of B in this category, which is one of our more favorable scores. Long-term care grades in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. One of the statistics we considered in addition to nursing hours is vaccines. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to 87.465935 percent of its residents. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about West Jefferson Health Care Center?
One of this facility's better category grades was in the area of nursing care. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of C. In computing our nursing scores, we look at both nursing hours and the levels of licensure of those nurses. This place averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis, which is not an impressive total. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics. Although this place got dinged a bit for nursing hours, it actually excelled in a few of these quality-based measures. With less than five percent of its patients experiencing pressure ulcers, it did remarkably well in this statistic. This is often an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as employing a protocol of moving a resident at least once a day.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our next area, this facility really did not fare very well. Due to an abysmal grade of F in short-term care, this is this facility's weakest area. Our short-term care grade is typically employed to gauge a facility's rehabilitation services. In order to provide quality rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to provide higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other licensed professionals. As you might expect, we discovered that this facility offers substantially less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than the typical facility. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients who eventually returned home from this nursing home. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 3.5 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
West Jefferson Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In West Jefferson Health Care Center, 9.76% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care reduces the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In West Jefferson Health Care Center, 3.46% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term stay residents who had falls which caused serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In West Jefferson Health Care Center, 2.79% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In West Jefferson Health Care Center, 16.28% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients that are prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such drugs aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely on these medications due to having more residents with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In West Jefferson Health Care Center, 22.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In West Jefferson Health Care Center, 1.48% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents exhibiting signs of depression. Many believe this is a measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In West Jefferson Health Care Center, 89.54% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In West Jefferson Health Care Center, 17.84% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate decline of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In West Jefferson Health Care Center, 15.38% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients who retained mobility levels. Some would argue that the ability to move around is vital to residents' physical and mental health.
In West Jefferson Health Care Center, 2.05 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In West Jefferson Health Care Center, 15.38 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In West Jefferson Health Care Center, 12.77 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
- West Jefferson Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.01 miles away1101 Medical Center Blvd Marrero Louisiana 70072Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 347-5511
- Touro InfirmaryAcute Care Hospitals 2.39 miles away1401 Foucher Street New Orleans Louisiana 70115Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 897-8247
- Tulane Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.79 miles away1415 Tulane Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 988-5263
- Childrens HospitalChildrens 3.93 miles away200 Henry Clay Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70118Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 899-9511
- University Medical Center New OrleansAcute Care Hospitals 4.24 miles away2000 Canal Street New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 903-3000
- St Bernard Parish HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.04 miles away8000 West Judge Perez Drive Chalmette Louisiana 70043Government - Hospital District or Authority(504) 826-9500
- Ochsner Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.41 miles away1516 Jefferson Hwy New Orleans Louisiana 70121Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 842-3000
- East Jefferson General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.42 miles away4200 Houma Blvd Metairie Louisiana 70006Government - Hospital District or Authority(504) 454-4000
- Fmcna - Gretna1.15 miles away959 Behrman Hgwy Gretna Louisiana 70056Dialysis Stations: 17 (504) 391-1041
- Davita - Oakwood Dialysis1.82 miles away148 Hector Ave Gretna Louisiana 70056Dialysis Stations: 12 (504) 376-1603
- Fmcna - Marrero1.99 miles away7325 Westbank Expressway Marrero Louisiana 70072Dialysis Stations: 23 (504) 348-1845
- Davita - Marrero Dialysis Center2.2 miles away1908 Jutland Dr Harvey Louisiana 70058CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (504) 347-6224
- New Orleans Kidney Ctr2.36 miles away3434 Prytania Ste 200 New Orleans Louisiana 70115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (504) 899-8414
- Fmcna - Westbank2.42 miles away5301 Westbank Expwy Marrero Louisiana 70072Dialysis Stations: 12 (504) 340-8577
- Fmcna - Barataria2.68 miles away1849 Barataria Blvd Ste A Marrero Louisiana 70072Dialysis Stations: 23 (504) 347-4228
- Dci - Westbank-Gretna2.88 miles away1010 Behrman Hwy Gretna Louisiana 70056Dialysis Stations: 22 (504) 391-9572