West Hills Health and Rehab is one of a host of nursing home options at your disposal in Knoxville, Tennessee. This nursing home received an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the road score. While there's nothing wrong with a B-, we wanted to point out that Knoxville received a city grade of B+ so there are some good options in this city. We were also pleased to discover that this facility was consistent in each of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
West Hills Health and Rehab
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home earned a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to emphasize its nearly flawless inspection reports in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Inspection ratings weigh a host of factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better scores in this area tend to have very few of these severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home received 5 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a good inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's higher category grades was in the area of long-term care. In that category, we awarded this facility a grade of B. It actually outperformed most nursing homes in this area. When nursing homes receive this type of score in long-term care it is a good sign for resident care and indicates that the facility is well-staffed with nurses aids. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is very impressive. Pneumonia sadly can be a deadly condition for nursing home patients so we like it when a facility doesn't leave this to chance. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about West Hills Health and Rehab?
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we looked at is short-term care, where this facility was awarded a grade of C in this category. Short-term care grades are typically used to score a facility's rehabilitation services To provide good rehabilitation services, facilities generally must feature better levels of highly skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. Unfortunately, we were not able to track down information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. The final measure we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients that ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 5.1 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
The next area we looked at is nursing. This nursing home was given a grade of C for the category. Our nursing rating is based on quite a few data points, most of which are associated with nursing hours. This place provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility surprisingly excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we assessed. It performed well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is just as important as the number of hours of care provided.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
West Hills Health and Rehab Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In West Hills Health and Rehab, 9.06% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can limit the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In West Hills Health and Rehab, 3.4% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are often linked to lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing care limits the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In West Hills Health and Rehab, 3.28% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In West Hills Health and Rehab, 15.49% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term patients which were prescribed antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications aren't medically required. However, some nursing homes need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of residents suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In West Hills Health and Rehab, 29.7% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of long-term residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In West Hills Health and Rehab, 8.67% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In West Hills Health and Rehab, 89.63% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In West Hills Health and Rehab, 16.71% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In West Hills Health and Rehab, 26.22% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that remained mobile levels. Some experts argue that the ability to move around is critical to patients physical and mental health.
In West Hills Health and Rehab, 1.21 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is critical to maintaining the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In West Hills Health and Rehab, 26.22 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In West Hills Health and Rehab, 11.37 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In West Hills Health and Rehab, 72.9% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Knoxville, TN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Knoxville, Tennessee has 14 other nursing homes
- Parkwest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.54 miles away9352 Park West Blvd Knoxville Tennessee 37923Voluntary non-profit - Private(865) 970-9800
- University of Tn Medical Center (The)Acute Care Hospitals 4.55 miles away1924 Alcoa Highway Knoxville Tennessee 37920Voluntary non-profit - Private(865) 544-9000
- East Tennessee Childrens HospitalChildrens 5.1 miles away2018 Clinch Ave Sw Knoxville Tennessee 37916Voluntary non-profit - Private(865) 541-8000
- Fort Sanders Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.14 miles away1901 W Clinch Ave Knoxville Tennessee 37916Voluntary non-profit - Private(865) 541-1101
- Tennova Healthcare-North Knoxville Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.73 miles away7565 Dannaher Way Powell Powell Tennessee 37849Proprietary(865) 545-8000
- Methodist Medical Center of Oak RidgeAcute Care Hospitals 13.15 miles away990 Oak Ridge Turnpike Box 529 Oak Ridge Tennessee 37830Voluntary non-profit - Private(865) 835-1000
- Blount Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.63 miles away907 E Lamar Alexander Parkway Maryville Tennessee 37804Government - Local(865) 983-7211
- Fort Loudon Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.02 miles away550 Fort Loudon Medical Center Dr Lenoir City Tennessee 37772Voluntary non-profit - Other(865) 271-6000
- Knoxville Central Dialysis3.89 miles away9141 Cross Park Drive Suite 102 Knoxville Tennessee 37923Dialysis Stations: 8 (865) 531-4681
- Fmc Cedar Bluff4.2 miles away431 Park 40 North Blvd Knoxville Tennessee 37923Dialysis Stations: 19 (865) 690-7517
- Bio-Medical Applications of Tennessee4.65 miles away1826 Ailor Avenue Knoxville Tennessee 37921Dialysis Stations: 4 (865) 524-5308
- Fmc Dialysis Fort Sanders5.19 miles away1740 Western Avenue Knoxville Tennessee 37921CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (865) 523-1516
- Dci Knoxville6.49 miles away3734 Martin Mill Pike Knoxville Tennessee 37920CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (865) 573-3944
- Bio-Medical Application of Tennessee, Inc.7.75 miles away4440 Walker Blvd. Knoxville Tennessee 37917Dialysis Stations: 24 (865) 687-3436
- Fmc Powell7.91 miles away732 E. Emory Rd Knoxville Tennessee 37938CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (865) 947-1700
- Bio-Medical Applications of Tennessee, Inc.7.93 miles away2519 E Magnolia Ave Knoxville Tennessee 37914Dialysis Stations: 21 (865) 633-6052