West Hickory Haven is located in Milford, Michigan. We awarded this facility an overall grade of B+. A grade of this caliber requires strong scores in most areas. In our view, this facility looks like a solid choice for most people. We were also pleased to find that this facility did not have any poor grades in any of the major categories. Additional information about these categories is available below.
West Hickory Haven
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
3310 W Commerce Rd,
Milford MI 48380
65.84% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this place is a strong facility is that it earned a very impressive inspection rating. Inspections turned out to be its best category. In this area, we gave it an A-. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in computing our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Facilities with better scores in this category typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G through L. This means the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in the industry.
This nursing home performed well in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category, which is one of our highest scores. Our nursing score is mostly based on the facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about West Hickory Haven?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to our third category, this facility also earned a grade of B+ for its short-term care rating. This is a well above average score in this area. With our short-term care assessment, we strive to forge a sound measure for rehabilitation. In doing so, we look at the nursing home's scope of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the final area, this nursing home was awarded a respectable long-term care grade. Even though this wasn't quite as dominant as a few of its other grades, this is truly not the end of the world. For long-term care residents, the nursing home's primary goal is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. After assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is better than the average nursing home. This nursing home was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
West Hickory Haven Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In West Hickory Haven, 8.78% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term patients which developed pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In West Hickory Haven, 2.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In West Hickory Haven, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of long-term care patients who have sustained urinary tract infections. Although more of these infections may reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In West Hickory Haven, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for a variety of conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In West Hickory Haven, 18.81% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term care patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In West Hickory Haven, 3.44% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In West Hickory Haven, 91.43% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In West Hickory Haven, 12.1% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In West Hickory Haven, 17.7% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In West Hickory Haven, 1.47 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In West Hickory Haven, 17.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
- Henry Ford West Bloomfield HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.35 miles away6777 West Maple Road West Bloomfield Michigan 48322Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 325-1000
- Saint Joseph Mercy Livingston HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.12 miles away620 Byron Rd Howell Michigan 48843Voluntary non-profit - Other(517) 545-6000
- Mclaren OaklandAcute Care Hospitals 18.93 miles away50 N Perry St Pontiac Michigan 48342Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 338-5000
- St Mary Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.12 miles away36475 Five Mile Road Livonia Michigan 48154Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 655-4800
- St Joseph Mercy OaklandAcute Care Hospitals 19.57 miles away44405 Woodward Ave Pontiac Michigan 48341Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 858-3000
- Brighton Dialysis of Davita7.33 miles away7960 Grand River Rd Ste 210 Brighton Michigan 48114Dialysis Stations: 13 (810) 225-6288
- Fmc Dialysis - Brighton7.44 miles away5757 Whitmore Lake Rd Ste 1600 Brighton Michigan 48116CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (810) 229-6945
- Bio Medical Applications of Michigan Inc9.55 miles away49641 Grand River Ave Wixom Michigan 48393Dialysis Stations: 13 (248) 924-3544
- Commerce Township Dialysis of Davita9.99 miles away120 W Commerce Rd Commerce Township Michigan 48382Dialysis Stations: 12 (248) 363-4862
- Novi Dialysis Center of Davita10.29 miles away27150 Providence Pkwy Ste A Novi Michigan 48374CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (248) 449-6947
- Ghs Western Regional Home Dialysis13.27 miles away39525 W 14 Mile Rd Ste 200 Novi Michigan 48377Dialysis Stations: 3 (248) 668-4180
- Fenton Dialysis of Davita14.02 miles away17420 Silver Parkway Fenton Michigan 48430Dialysis Stations: 12 (810) 750-9200
- Clarkston Dialysis of Davita14.93 miles away6770 Dixie Hwy Ste 205 Clarkston Michigan 48346Dialysis Stations: 22 (248) 620-0958