West Covina Healthcare Center is an average-sized nursing home located in West Covina, California. This facility is a subpar facility. A score of this caliber indicates we found some red flags. If you are not satisfied with this facility's rather poor overall grade, you will be pleased to know there are four other nursing homes in West Covina. If you aren't deterred by this facility's profile, feel free to continue reading to learn more about its category grades. Nursing grades are discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
West Covina Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on West Covina senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we didn't give this nursing home a good overall score, we did give it a very strong grade in the area of nursing, where it earned a grade of B. The nursing rating weighs numerous subcategories. The most heavily weighted factor is the quantity of hours nurses spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home was awarded its second most favorable category grade in the category of short-term care. We awarded this nursing home a B- in this category, which is a reasonably acceptable grade. In the area of short-term care, we strive to qualify indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. We found that this facility was below average in the two key staffing areas we looked at. The facility supplied fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. It is still important to determine whether this also correlates to a lower quality of care. The final item we considered in this area is the number of patients who who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that just 4.4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below average.
Does this page answer your questions about West Covina Healthcare Center?
Sadly, this facility received a grade of just D in our inspection category. This is well below average grade. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining our inspection scores. One critical factor is deficiencies. We recommend you scrutinize the level of severity of the deficiencies. This nursing home had 4 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only positive thing we can say is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they caused a risk to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility also received 33 substantiated complaints in recent years. This is yet another bad sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our fourth category, we awarded this nursing home a grade of D for our long-term care category. This was the facility's weakest category score. If you are seeking anything other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each facility's long-term care ratings. Once we finished looking at the amount of nursing care, we next considered the facility's vaccination record. We were pleased to discover that this nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this place also fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had just 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
West Covina Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In West Covina Healthcare Center, 7.14% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents who are suffering from pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In West Covina Healthcare Center, 0.41% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a fall which caused severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In West Covina Healthcare Center, 0.86% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often associated with poor nursing care. More frequent bathing can reduce the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In West Covina Healthcare Center, 4.89% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to patients for many conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In West Covina Healthcare Center, 10.43% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are used to treat residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In West Covina Healthcare Center, 16.51% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents exhibiting symptoms of depression. Increased rates of depression may imply a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In West Covina Healthcare Center, 100% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In West Covina Healthcare Center, 4.09% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In West Covina Healthcare Center, 6.72% of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In West Covina Healthcare Center, 6.72% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In West Covina Healthcare Center, 14.16% of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In West Covina Healthcare Center, 79.97% of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for West Covina, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? West Covina, California has 4 other nursing homes
- Emanate Health Inter-Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.4 miles away210 W San Bernardino Road Covina California 91723Proprietary(626) 814-2468
- Glendora Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.17 miles away150 West Route 66 Glendora California 91740Proprietary(626) 335-0231
- San Dimas Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.77 miles away1350 W Covina Blvd San Dimas California 91773Proprietary(909) 599-6811
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 7.03 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- Whittier Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.82 miles away9080 Colima Rd Whittier California 90605Proprietary(562) 945-3561
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 9.02 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- San Gabriel Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.27 miles away438 W Las Tunas Drive San Gabriel California 91776Proprietary(626) 289-5454
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.38 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Fmc-West Covina Kidney Center0.49 miles away1540 W. Covina Parkway West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (626) 337-8007
- Davita-Covina Dialysis Center0.53 miles away1547 W. Garvey Avenue North West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (626) 960-9404
- Queens Dialysis Unit, Inc.0.61 miles away1135 S. Sunset Avenue, Suite 103 West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 337-4245
- Advanced Dialysis Center1.17 miles away3932 Downing Avenue Baldwin Park California 91706Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 856-3333
- La Puente Dialysis Center, Inc.2.29 miles away14557 Temple Avenue La Puente California 91744CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 917-1719
- Fmc-Irwindale2.61 miles away12711 Ramona Blvd., Suite 111 Baldwin Park California 91706CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (626) 856-3944
- Mohan Dialysis Center of Industry3.19 miles away15757 E. Valley Blvd. La Puente California 91744CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (626) 333-3801
- Citrus Dialysis Center3.43 miles away315 N. Third Avenue, Suite 104 Covina California 91723CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (626) 331-0133