Wesley Glen Retirement Community is in the large metropolitan area of Columbus, Ohio which has a population of 783,285 people. This facility was awarded an A- overall, which is one of our best grades. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it in the top quarter of all facilities in the country. Scroll down to see this facility's category scores, which are also quite good. It is hard to poke holes in this nursing home's profile.
Wesley Glen Retirement Community
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Adult Day Care
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
5155 North High Street,
Columbus OH 43214
72.61% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Aquatic Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Ohio Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to being a first rate facility overall, this facility also excelled at short-term care, where it earned an A. Few facilities performed better in this category. In determining our short-term care grades, we look at the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other types of therapists. This score is typically a meaningful assessment of a facility's rehabilitation services. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final statistic we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that 6.4 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Adding to its impressive resume, this nursing home also excelled in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category. Nursing scores are mostly based on the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Wesley Glen Retirement Community?
Racking up another strong category grade, this nursing home also excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned a score of A-. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in determining our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Facilities with better grades in this area most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. While this facility had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This means that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few relatively minor dings aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we analyzed was long-term care. In this category, we awarded this nursing home an impressive grade of B. Facilities that receive this type of grade in this category typically provide consistent 24/7 care to ensure residents are kept in good health. One of the data points we considered on top of nursing hours was vaccines. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccination to 94.392525 percent of its residents. Vaccination is a proven method to minimize unnecessary hospitalizations for the nursing home population. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Wesley Glen Retirement Community Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Wesley Glen Retirement Community, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Wesley Glen Retirement Community, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term residents which experienced falls which resulted in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Wesley Glen Retirement Community, 1.71% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . UTI's are often associated with a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric can be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Wesley Glen Retirement Community, 13.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Wesley Glen Retirement Community, 22.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Wesley Glen Retirement Community, 20.26% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents exhibiting symptoms of depression. Some experts believe that this is a reliable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Wesley Glen Retirement Community, 90.12% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Wesley Glen Retirement Community, 14.88% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and eating. Some experts believe this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Wesley Glen Retirement Community, 16.29% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term stay residents who maintained mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Wesley Glen Retirement Community, 16.29 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Wesley Glen Retirement Community, 12 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Wesley Glen Retirement Community, 75.25% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with activities of daily living typically correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
Scores for Columbus, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Columbus, Ohio has 35 other nursing homes
- Riverside Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.56 miles away3535 Olentangy River Rd Columbus Ohio 43214Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 566-5000
- Mount Carmel St Ann'sAcute Care Hospitals 4.95 miles away500 South Cleveland Avenue Westerville Ohio 43081Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 898-4000
- Ohio State University HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 5.05 miles away410 West 10th Avenue Columbus Ohio 43210Government - State(614) 293-9700
- Grant Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.54 miles away111 South Grant Avenue Columbus Ohio 43215Voluntary non-profit - Church(614) 566-9000
- Mount Carmel WestAcute Care Hospitals 7.62 miles away793 West State Street Columbus Ohio 43222Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 234-5000
- Dublin Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.88 miles away7500 Hospital Avenue Dublin Ohio 43016Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 544-8000
- Twin Valley Behavioral HealthcarePsychiatric 8.06 miles away2200 West Broad Street Columbus Ohio 43223Government - Local(614) 752-0333
- Nationwide Children's HospitalChildrens 8.25 miles away700 Children's Drive Columbus Ohio 43205Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 722-2000
- Bio-Medical Applications of Ohio, Inc.1.23 miles away758 Communications Parkway Columbus Ohio 43217Dialysis Stations: 12 (614) 538-1060
- Davita - Columbus Dialysis1.4 miles away226 Graceland Blvd. - Suite 3-09a Columbus Ohio 43214CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (614) 985-1732
- Fmc - Central Ohio2.15 miles away4661 Karl Road Columbus Ohio 43229CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (614) 840-0012
- Kidney Center of Columbus North2.6 miles away5700 Karl Road Columbus Ohio 43229Dialysis Stations: 7 (614) 846-9722
- Davita Minerva Park Dialysis3.5 miles away4401 Cleveland Avenue Columbus Ohio 43224Dialysis Stations: 17 (614) 478-9604
- Davita - Parkside Dialysis4.79 miles away241 W. Schrock Road Westerville Ohio 43081Dialysis Stations: 18 (614) 882-1734
- Fmc-Campus Kidney Dialysis Center5.05 miles away1791 Kenny Rd. Columbus Ohio 43210Dialysis Stations: 17 (614) 487-9750
- Nxstage Kidney Care/Nxstage Columbus LLC5.43 miles away5665 Woerner Temple Road Dublin Ohio 43016Dialysis Stations: 10 (614) 915-3040