Wesley Glen Retirement Community is in the large metropolitan area of Columbus, Ohio which has a population of 783,285 people. This facility was awarded an A- overall, which is one of our best grades. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it in the top third of all facilities in the nation. The best part of this facility's impressive profile was its short-term care score. short-term care grades are discussed in the next section
Wesley Glen Retirement Community
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Adult Day Care
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Aquatic Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
On top of earning a great overall score, this facility also earned an excellent short-term care grade, with an impressive grade of A. Our short-term care grades are crucial for residents needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally requires higher levels of skilled nursing. This means a broad scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final statistic we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who returned home from the facility. We found that 6.8 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
This facility has received near flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A- in this category. Our inspection ratings are tied to several datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent government inspections. Places that score well in this category have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This facility was assessed 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This means that the government inspectors did not deem any of these deficiencies an immediate threat to resident health or safety. Remember that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Wesley Glen Retirement Community?
This facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Our nursing rating is based on many subcategories. The most important factor is the number of hours nurses spend with patients. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place Ohio in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by having a system of turning a resident even once per day.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we analyzed was long-term care. In this category, we awarded this nursing home a decent grade of B-. This ended up being this facility's least impressive category. In the area of long-term care, we weigh the quantity of care offered by a nursing home, as opposed to more sophisticated services. Once we looked at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 91.58878 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is a few points less than we expected but still a respectable percentage. Nevertheless, this place was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Wesley Glen Retirement Community Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Wesley Glen Retirement Community, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Wesley Glen Retirement Community, 3.69% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are routinely linked to lower levels of patient supervision. Closer supervision limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Wesley Glen Retirement Community, 1.8% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Wesley Glen Retirement Community, 13.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Wesley Glen Retirement Community, 22.35% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term residents that are given antianxiety medication. These drugs are used to treat patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Wesley Glen Retirement Community, 20% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Some experts would argue that this is a reliable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Wesley Glen Retirement Community, 90.19% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Wesley Glen Retirement Community, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Wesley Glen Retirement Community, 18.5% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Wesley Glen Retirement Community, 18.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Wesley Glen Retirement Community, 11.81 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Wesley Glen Retirement Community, 74.54% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with activities of daily living typically correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
Scores for Columbus, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Columbus, Ohio has 35 other nursing homes
- Riverside Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.56 miles away3535 Olentangy River Rd Columbus Ohio 43214Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 566-5000
- Mount Carmel St Ann'sAcute Care Hospitals 4.95 miles away500 South Cleveland Avenue Westerville Ohio 43081Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 898-4000
- Ohio State University HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 5.05 miles away410 West 10th Avenue Columbus Ohio 43210Government - State(614) 293-9700
- Grant Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.54 miles away111 South Grant Avenue Columbus Ohio 43215Voluntary non-profit - Church(614) 566-9000
- Mount Carmel WestAcute Care Hospitals 7.62 miles away793 West State Street Columbus Ohio 43222Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 234-5000
- Dublin Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.88 miles away7500 Hospital Avenue Dublin Ohio 43016Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 544-8000
- Twin Valley Behavioral HealthcarePsychiatric 8.06 miles away2200 West Broad Street Columbus Ohio 43223Government - Local(614) 752-0333
- Nationwide Children's HospitalChildrens 8.25 miles away700 Children's Drive Columbus Ohio 43205Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 722-2000
- Bio-Medical Applications of Ohio, Inc.1.23 miles away758 Communications Parkway Columbus Ohio 43217Dialysis Stations: 12 (614) 538-1060
- Davita - Columbus Dialysis1.4 miles away226 Graceland Blvd. - Suite 3-09a Columbus Ohio 43214CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (614) 985-1732
- Fmc - Central Ohio2.15 miles away4661 Karl Road Columbus Ohio 43229CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (614) 840-0012
- Kidney Center of Columbus North2.6 miles away5700 Karl Road Columbus Ohio 43229Dialysis Stations: 7 (614) 846-9722
- Davita Minerva Park Dialysis3.5 miles away4401 Cleveland Avenue Columbus Ohio 43224Dialysis Stations: 17 (614) 478-9604
- Davita - Parkside Dialysis4.79 miles away241 W. Schrock Road Westerville Ohio 43081Dialysis Stations: 18 (614) 882-1734
- Fmc-Campus Kidney Dialysis Center5.05 miles away1791 Kenny Rd. Columbus Ohio 43210Dialysis Stations: 17 (614) 487-9750
- Nxstage Kidney Care/Nxstage Columbus LLC5.43 miles away5665 Woerner Temple Road Dublin Ohio 43016Dialysis Stations: 10 (614) 915-3040