Weslaco Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is one of just three facilities in Weslaco, Texas. This nursing home received an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the road grade. Based on our assessment, this nursing home is a solid choice for most people. The best part of this place's profile is is its inspection rating. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
Weslaco Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
This facility earned a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to point out its excellent government inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A- in this category. Arguably the most significant factor we look at in determining our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher scores in this category most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. While this facility had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A few minor deficiencies shouldn't lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B in our long-term care category. This is one of our better grades. Facilities that receive this kind of score in long-term care tend to provide consistent around the clock care to make sure patients are kept in good health. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia can be a life threatening ailment for nursing home patients so we strongly prefer when a nursing home doesn't roll the dice on this issue. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Weslaco Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this nursing home only earned a grade of D for its short-term care grade, which is well below average in this category. In our short-term care category, we seek to forge a fair barometer for rehabilitation. In doing so, we look at the facility's level of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. With its grade in this area, we weren't stunned to find that this nursing home is well below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its patients based on the metrics we assessed. Frankly, this was about what we expected here. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who eventually returned home from this facility. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 5.4 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
The final category we rated was nursing. We gave it an abysmal F for this area, which is a rock bottom score. This is clearly a major disappointment. There are a host of factors included in this area. Many of the factors are tied to the quantity and quality of nurse staffing. This nursing home offered a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is an alarmingly low total. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing scores. This place performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Weslaco Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Weslaco Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This gauges the percent of long-term patients who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a solid barometer of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Weslaco Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents who have sustained a fall leading to serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Weslaco Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely linked to facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Better nursing care limits the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Weslaco Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Weslaco Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Weslaco Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 4.81% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients demonstrating symptoms of depression. Some experts believe this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Weslaco Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 94.64% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Weslaco Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and continence. Some experts believe that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Weslaco Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Weslaco Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is usually a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Weslaco Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Weslaco Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Weslaco Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Knapp Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.86 miles away1401 East Eight Street Weslaco Texas 78596Voluntary non-profit - Private(956) 968-8567
- South Texas Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 14.98 miles away1102 W Trenton Road Edinburg Texas 78539Proprietary(956) 632-4484
- Rio Grande Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.37 miles away101 E Ridge Rd Mcallen Texas 78503Proprietary(956) 632-6000
- Doctors Hospital at RenaissanceAcute Care Hospitals 15.74 miles away5501 South Mccoll Edinburg Texas 78539Physician(956) 362-8677
- Cornerstone Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.84 miles away2302 Cornerstone Boulevard Edinburg Texas 78539Proprietary(956) 618-4444
- Rio Grande State CenterPsychiatric 17.43 miles away1401 Rangerville Road Harlingen Texas 78550Government - State(956) 364-8000
- Harlingen Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.36 miles away5501 South Expressway 77 Harlingen Texas 78550Proprietary(956) 365-1000
- Vhs Harlingen Hospital Company LLCAcute Care Hospitals 19.85 miles away2101 Pease St Harlingen Texas 78550Proprietary(956) 389-1100
- Biomedical Applications of Texas, Inc0.74 miles away1010 Rone Drive Weslaco Texas 78596Dialysis Stations: 23 (956) 973-0002
- Weslaco Renal Center0.74 miles away910 Utah Weslaco Texas 78596CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (956) 968-1895
- Us Renal Care Mid Valley Weslaco Dialysis0.9 miles away1005 S. Airport Drive Weslaco Texas 78596CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (956) 968-5806
- Weslaco Dialysis Facility2.23 miles away1614 E Commercial Drive Weslaco Texas 78599CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (956) 973-1970
- Renal Treatment Centers of Southeast, Lp4.49 miles away1307 Cameron St Mercedes Texas 78570Dialysis Stations: 21 (956) 514-2596
- Davita Donna Dialysis4.96 miles away1006 East Hwy 2 Donna Texas 78537Dialysis Stations: 21 (956) 461-2519
- Fresenius Medical Care Tri-City9.32 miles away734 North Alamo Road Alamo Texas 78516CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (956) 783-5628
- Us Renal Care Delta Dialysis10.24 miles away400 E. Edinburg Blvd Elsa Texas 78543CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (956) 262-3400