Welsh Home The is an average-sized non-profit facility in Rocky River, Ohio. With an A- overall grade, we ranked this facility in the top fifth of all nursing homes in the country. You simply can't do much better than this place. This nursing home's strong profile was highlighted by its inspection rating, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Welsh Home The
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Rocky River senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Other
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Oncology Care
- Blood Administration
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Rocky River, Ohio Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Rocky River, Ohio Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Rocky River, Ohio Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
On top of faring well overall, this facility also received a nearly flawless inspection report. As a result, it received one of our highest scores in that category with an A+. Perhaps the most significant factor we look at in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Facilities with better scores in this area typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This nursing home was hit with 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This means that CMS didn't consider any of these deficiencies to cause an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
We also wanted to draw your attention to the fact that this facility was given a superb score of A in our long-term care area. For long-term care residents, the nursing home's primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. Once we finished looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 76.54321 percent of its residents against pneumonia. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we had hoped, at least this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Welsh Home The?
Adding to its impressive resume, this nursing home also excelled in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category. There are a host of factors included in this category. Most of the datapoints relate to nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we scored is short-term care. This facility was given a favorable short-term care score in our assessment, with a B-. Although this wasn't nearly as impressive as some of its other scores, this is still a decent score for that category. In calculating our short-term care scores, we scrutinize a facility's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. This area is generally a reliable assessment of a nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final metric we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents that eventually returned home from the facility. We found that just 5.1 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Welsh Home The Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Welsh Home The, 7.3% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Welsh Home The, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are routinely associated with lower levels of patient supervision. Additional nurse staffing limits the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Welsh Home The, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term care patients which have suffered from urinary tract infections. UTI's may be a sign of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this metric may also be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Welsh Home The, 12.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term stay residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Welsh Home The, 21.99% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients that were given antianxiety medication. These drugs are commonly used to treat residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Welsh Home The, 21.39% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Welsh Home The, 88.91% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Welsh Home The, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Welsh Home The, 12.66% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Welsh Home The, 1.43 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is usually a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Welsh Home The, 12.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Welsh Home The, 12.98 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Welsh Home The, 75.85% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living usually correlates with successful rehabilitation.
- Fairview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.3 miles away18101 Lorain Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44111Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 476-7000
- Uh St John Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.26 miles away29000 Center Ridge Road Westlake Ohio 44145Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 835-8000
- Southwest General Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.2 miles away18697 Bagley Road Cleveland Ohio 44130Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 816-6701
- Lutheran HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.41 miles away1730 West 25th Street Cleveland Ohio 44113Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 696-4300
- Metrohealth SystemAcute Care Hospitals 8.57 miles away2500 Metrohealth Drive Cleveland Ohio 44109Voluntary non-profit - Other(216) 778-7089
- St Vincent Charity Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.14 miles away2351 East 22nd Street Cleveland Ohio 44115Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 861-6200
- Cleveland ClinicAcute Care Hospitals 12.91 miles away9500 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44195Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 445-8400
- Rainbow Babies and Childrens HospitalChildrens 13.69 miles away11100 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44106Voluntary non-profit - Other(216) 844-1000
- Center for Dialysis Care Westside Home Care LLC1.57 miles away24651 Center Ridge Rd Suite 450 Westlake Ohio 44145Dialysis Stations: 10 (440) 899-2808
- Davita - Hilliard Dialysis1.77 miles away19133 Hilliard Blvd Rocky River Ohio 44116CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (216) 712-4700
- Fmc - Westlake Dialysis Center2.42 miles away26024 Detroit Road Westlake Ohio 44145Dialysis Stations: 23 (440) 835-1139
- Davita - Villa of Great Northern2.58 miles away22710 Fairview Center Dr., Ste 100 Cleveland Ohio 44126Dialysis Stations: 7 (440) 734-4630
- Fmc - Lakewood Ohio Dialysis4.34 miles away13900 Detroit Avenue Lakewood Ohio 44107Dialysis Stations: 12 (216) 221-3034
- Fmc - Cleveland Clinic West5.06 miles away14670 Snow Road Brookpark Ohio 44142CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (216) 267-1451
- Center for Dialysis Care Middleburg Heights5.13 miles away6749 Eastland Road Cleveland Ohio 44130Dialysis Stations: 20 (440) 234-3916
- Davita - Detroit Road Dialysis6.64 miles away7901 Detroit Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44102Dialysis Stations: 23 (216) 961-6498