Wellbrooke of Carmel is located in Carmel, Indiana. This city has a total of 77,123 people. Featuring an overall rating of B+, this looks like a strong nursing home. This facility proved to be one of the better facilities in Carmel, which boasts a decent selection of nursing homes. Fortunately, this nursing home didn't have any weak links in any of the four major categories. More information about these categories is available below.
Wellbrooke of Carmel
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Adult Day Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a strong nursing home overall, this facility really excelled in our inspections category, where it received a grade of A. Not many nursing homes fared better in that area. Inspection scores are tied to items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that score well in this category have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Fortunately, although this nursing home had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Among this nursing home's other accomplishments is its first-rate long-term care score. We awarded them one of our more favorable grades in that category, with a score of A-. When facilities receive a score in this range in long-term care it generally means it's well-staffed and is an overall good place to reside on a permanent basis. After we finished assessing the quantity of nursing care, we turned to the facility's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia can be a life threatening ailment for nursing home residents so we strongly prefer when a nursing home doesn't leave its residents vulnerable. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Wellbrooke of Carmel?
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we graded is short-term care. This facility was given a very positive short-term care score, with a grade of B+ in the category. With our short-term care score, we seek to create a fair measure for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we analyze a facility's levels of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.3 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Switching gears to the final category, this facility was awarded a respectable nursing grade. Even though this is not quite as strong as several of its other scores, this is still not a major area of concern. When calculating a facility's nursing grade, we look at the number of hours nurses are with residents and the level of skill of the nurses. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Finally, nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this place actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is usually an indicator that a nursing home has quality controls in place. Many falls could be avoided if a nursing home provides enough nurses to assist its residents.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Wellbrooke of Carmel Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Wellbrooke of Carmel, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can limit the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Wellbrooke of Carmel, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Wellbrooke of Carmel, 1.96% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely caused by facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Better nursing care can reduce the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Wellbrooke of Carmel, 13.37% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Wellbrooke of Carmel, 21.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Wellbrooke of Carmel, 12.38% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Wellbrooke of Carmel, 91.56% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Wellbrooke of Carmel, 16.12% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of the deterioration of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Wellbrooke of Carmel, 17.5% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Wellbrooke of Carmel, 1.36 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is critical to the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Wellbrooke of Carmel, 17.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Wellbrooke of Carmel, 11.23 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Wellbrooke of Carmel, 73.53% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Carmel, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Carmel, Indiana has 7 other nursing homes
- Indiana University Health North HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.65 miles away11700 N Meridian St Carmel Indiana 46032Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 688-2000
- St Vincent Carmel Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 1.2 miles away13500 N Meridian St Carmel Indiana 46032Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 582-7000
- St Vincent Heart Center of Indiana LLCAcute Care Hospitals 1.99 miles away10580 N Meridian St Indianapolis Indiana 46290Proprietary(317) 583-5000
- St Vincent Hospital & Health ServicesAcute Care Hospitals 4.38 miles away2001 W 86th St Indianapolis Indiana 46260Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 338-7000
- Community Hospital NorthAcute Care Hospitals 7.49 miles away7150 Clearvista Dr Indianapolis Indiana 46256Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 621-5335
- Riverview HealthAcute Care Hospitals 8.91 miles away395 Westfield Rd Noblesville Indiana 46060Government - Local(317) 773-0760
- Indiana University HealthAcute Care Hospitals 12.22 miles away1701 N Senate Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 962-5900
- St Vincent Fishers Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 12.59 miles away13861 Olio Road Fishers Indiana 46037Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 415-9000
- Fmc - Carmel0.31 miles away12400 North Meridian St., Ste 200 Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 12 (317) 575-8312
- Dialyze Direct in, LLC0.86 miles away13295 Illinois St. Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 1 (463) 219-0231
- Davita - Carmel Health and Living1.68 miles away118 Medical Drive, Suite 114 Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 6 (317) 844-9045
- Davita - Carmel Dialysis1.7 miles away180 East Carmel Drive Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 12 (317) 575-8916
- Davita Home Dialysis of Indianapolis3.49 miles away8803 N. Meridian Street Indianapolis Indiana 46260Dialysis Stations: 5 (317) 574-1798
- Fmc - Indianapolis-North4.07 miles away1225 W 86th Street Indianapolis Indiana 46260CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (317) 228-0169
- Nxkc Indianapolis Northwest, LLC4.92 miles away9101 N. Wesleyan Rd, Suite 115 Indianapolis Indiana 46268Dialysis Stations: 3 (317) 829-9770
- Fmc - Shadeland Station8.25 miles away7155 Shadeland Station Ste 130 Indianapolis Indiana 46256CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (317) 578-8401