Wellbrooke of Avon is located in the large metropolitan area of Indianapolis, Indiana. This nursing home proved to be a well above average facility, with an overall grade of B+. Even in a city featuring 46 other nursing homes, this facility stood out as a first-rate option. This facility was stronger in some categories than others, but it didn't have any poor grades in any of the major areas discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Wellbrooke of Avon
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this turned out to be a strong facility is that it received a very impressive inspection score. Inspections turned out to be its best category grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A. Our inspection grades are tied to several pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that score well in this area have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This nursing home received 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered severe. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to pose an imminent risk to resident safety or health. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
We also gave this facility a score of A- for our short-term care grade. With our short-term care category, we try to forge a fair measure for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we analyze the nursing home's level of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 7.4 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Wellbrooke of Avon?
Long-term Care Quality
The third area we assessed was long-term care. This facility was awarded an impressive long-term care score, with a grade of B in the area. In a long-term care setting, the facility's primary objective is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. After considering the amount of nursing care, we turned to the facility's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 91.50944 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
The next category we graded is nursing. We awarded this facility a decent grade in this category, with a B-. While this was not as strong as some of its other grades, it is nevertheless nothing to be ashamed of. Our nursing score is primarily associated with a facility's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Finally, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this facility actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is typically an indicator that a nursing home has sufficient quality controls in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Wellbrooke of Avon Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Wellbrooke of Avon, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Wellbrooke of Avon, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are routinely associated with poor nursing care. Better nursing protocols limits the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Wellbrooke of Avon, 1.96% of Patients had UTIs
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who had urinary tract infections. UTI's could be an indicator of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint can also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Wellbrooke of Avon, 13.37% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are given to residents for many medical conditions, including dementia. Tragically, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Wellbrooke of Avon, 21.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Wellbrooke of Avon, 12.38% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Wellbrooke of Avon, 91.56% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Wellbrooke of Avon, 16.12% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and continence. Many in the industry believe this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Wellbrooke of Avon, 17.5% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term patients who retained mobility levels.
In Wellbrooke of Avon, 1.36 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is critical to preserving the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Wellbrooke of Avon, 17.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Wellbrooke of Avon, 11.23 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Wellbrooke of Avon, 73.53% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Indianapolis, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Indianapolis, Indiana has 45 other nursing homes
- Iu Health West HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.29 miles away1111 N Ronald Reagan Pkwy Avon Indiana 46123Proprietary(317) 217-3000
- St Vincent Neighborhood HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.33 miles away9613 East Us Highway 36 Avon Indiana 46123Proprietary(317) 703-1999
- Hendricks Regional HealthAcute Care Hospitals 8.65 miles away1000 E Main St Danville Indiana 46122Government - Local(317) 745-4451
- Eskenazi HealthAcute Care Hospitals 8.82 miles away720 Eskenazi Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46202Government - Local(317) 880-4818
- Indiana University HealthAcute Care Hospitals 9.29 miles away1701 N Senate Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 962-5900
- Franciscan Health MooresvilleAcute Care Hospitals 11.82 miles away1201 Hadley Rd Mooresville Indiana 46158Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 831-1160
- St Vincent Hospital & Health ServicesAcute Care Hospitals 11.98 miles away2001 W 86th St Indianapolis Indiana 46260Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 338-7000
- Neurodiagnostic InstitutePsychiatric 13.98 miles away5435 E 16th St Indianapolis Indiana 46218Government - State(317) 941-4000
- Davita - Avon Dialysis1.2 miles away9210 Rockville Road, Ste D Indianapolis Indiana 46234Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 209-2544
- Fmc - Indianapolis-West3.79 miles away805 Beachway Drive Suite 100 Indianapolis Indiana 46224Dialysis Stations: 18 (317) 484-3550
- Davita - Eagle Highlands4.62 miles away6925 Shore Terrace Indianapolis Indiana 46254Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 295-0423
- Davita - Brownsburg Clinic6 miles away124 East Northfield Drive Brownsburg Indiana 46112Dialysis Stations: 10 (317) 858-3561
- Davita - Westview Dialysis6.61 miles away3749 Commercial Dr. Indianapolis Indiana 46222CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (317) 299-4693
- Davita - Plainfield6.81 miles away8110 Network Drive Plainfield Indiana 46168CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (317) 838-8089
- Davita Speedway Dialysis7.16 miles away2636 W. Michigan St. Indianapolis Indiana 46222Dialysis Stations: 13 (317) 423-0956
- Us Renal Care- Nw Indianapolis Renal Center7.62 miles away6488 Corporate Drive Indianapolis Indiana 46268CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 328-9667