Wedgewood Healthcare Center is in Clarksville, Indiana, a city with a population of 19,527 people. With a terrible overall grade of F, this facility isn't high on our list. Based on our assessment, you'd be better off to avoid of this facility. While this place was awarded one encouraging category score for nursing, which you can find more information about below.
Wedgewood Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
101 Potters Ln,
Clarksville IN 47129
69.43% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Wedgewood Healthcare Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
Even though we gave this facility an abysmal overall score, we gave it a C for our nursing rating. When computing our nursing ratings, we look at both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the training levels of those nurses. This place provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is a lower figure than we were hoping for. Finally, while this place got dinged a bit for nursing hours per resident, it excelled in a few of our quality measures. With less than five percent of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, it performed very well in this area.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's next highest score is long-term care, but even there it earned just a D in that area. This is still a relatively poor grade. Long-term care scores in this range generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. We were a bit bothered by the fact that this nursing home provided the vaccine to a relatively low 85.12111 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than many nursing homes. This is its best feature in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Wedgewood Healthcare Center?
Unfortunately, with a grade of D in the inspection category, this facility performed relatively poorly in that area. Inspection grades account for several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. This particular nursing home had 9 deficiencies by CMS. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they caused a threat to resident safety or health. Lastly, this nursing home was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. This is generally a really bad sign. We would never recommend this facility.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we assessed is short-term care, in which this nursing home received a poor score in this area as well. Unfortunately, we gave it an abysmal F in this category, which is definitely a major concern. Our short-term care ratings are presumably more important for patients in need of rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation typically mandates additional highly-skilled nursing. This includes not just nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. With a grade this poor for this area, we weren't surprised to learn this place was below average in two of the key staffing metrics we looked at. The nursing home supplied significantly fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most nursing homes. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents who ultimately returned home from this nursing home. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.3 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Wedgewood Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Wedgewood Healthcare Center, 7.36% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Wedgewood Healthcare Center, 4.17% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term residents who sustained a fall resulting in severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Wedgewood Healthcare Center, 1.69% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely caused by poor nursing care. However, this datapoint can also be skewed for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Wedgewood Healthcare Center, 13.33% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term patients that were administered antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such medications aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely on these medications due to having more patients suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Wedgewood Healthcare Center, 22.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are administered to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Wedgewood Healthcare Center, 14.48% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who are showing depressive symptoms. Some experts would argue this is a measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Wedgewood Healthcare Center, 91.03% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Wedgewood Healthcare Center, 15.46% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom. Many in the industry argue that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Wedgewood Healthcare Center, 12.91% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Wedgewood Healthcare Center, 1.53 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Wedgewood Healthcare Center, 12.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Wedgewood Healthcare Center, 12.43 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Wedgewood Healthcare Center, 73.74% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Baptist Health FloydAcute Care Hospitals 3.32 miles away1850 State St New Albany Indiana 47150Voluntary non-profit - Private(812) 944-7701
- Clark Memorial HealthAcute Care Hospitals 3.6 miles away1220 Missouri Ave Jeffersonville Indiana 47130Voluntary non-profit - Other(812) 283-2147
- Wellstone Regional HospitalPsychiatric 3.97 miles away2700 Vissing Park Rd Jeffersonville Indiana 47130Proprietary(812) 284-8000
- Jewish Hospital & St Mary's HealthcareAcute Care Hospitals 5.67 miles away200 Abraham Flexner Way Louisville Kentucky 40202Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 587-4011
- Norton Hospital / Norton Healthcare Pavilion / NorAcute Care Hospitals 5.74 miles away200 East Chestnut Street Louisville Kentucky 40202Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 629-8000
- University of Louisville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.83 miles away530 South Jackson Street Louisville Kentucky 40202Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 562-3000
- Baptist Health LouisvilleAcute Care Hospitals 9.9 miles away4000 Kresge Way Louisville Kentucky 40207Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 897-8100
- The Brook Hospital - KmiPsychiatric 11.18 miles away8521 Lagrange Road Louisville Kentucky 40242Government - Federal(502) 426-6380
- Fmc - Floyd County1.85 miles away807 Talaina Place New Albany Indiana 47150CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (812) 944-3265
- Fmc - Southern Indiana2.02 miles away810 Eastern Blvd Clarksville Indiana 47129CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (812) 288-7638
- Davita - Spring Street3.37 miles away1601 Spring Street Jeffersonville Indiana 47130Dialysis Stations: 13 (812) 284-2098
- Davita Portland Dialysis4.07 miles away2118 Portland Ave Louisville Kentucky 40212Dialysis Stations: 13 (502) 776-4371
- Davita - Jeffersonville Dialysis4.26 miles away365 Quarter Master Court Jeffersonville Indiana 47130Dialysis Stations: 12 (812) 288-2296
- Bio-Medical Applications of Indiana4.99 miles away5526 E. Highway 62 Jeffersonville Indiana 47130Dialysis Stations: 17 (812) 288-1026
- Fmc - Louisville5.25 miles away720 East Broadway Street Louisville Kentucky 40202Dialysis Stations: 24 (502) 584-3021
- Fmc - West Louisville5.41 miles away2600 West Broadway Suite 112 Louisville Kentucky 40211Dialysis Stations: 18 (502) 772-7363