Watertown Convalarium is a nursing home located in Watertown, Connecticut. This city has a population of 14,144 people. We awarded this facility an overall grade of C. A grade in this range requires some decent scores. Based on our analysis, this facility likely wouldn't be a bad choice. The best part of this facility's profile is is its nursing score. We discuss nursing in the next section.
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
560 Woodbury Road,
Watertown CT 06795
Best Nursing Home in Connecticut Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its decent overall grade, we gave this nursing home an A- for our nursing rating. This score is far more impressive than the facility's overall grade. We scrutinized the levels of nurses working for the facility, in addition to the number of hours those nurses worked with residents, in computing our grade in this category. This nursing home provides 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
In addition, we gave this nursing home a grade of B+ in our short-term care category. This is one of our more impressive scores. In determining our short-term care ratings, we quantify the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The objective is to create a scale for comparing the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Unfortunately, we weren't able to find information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. Lastly, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Watertown Convalarium?
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's higher category scores was in the category of long-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a B+. Nursing homes that do well in long-term care typically provide patients with better supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 97.14286 percent of its patients, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia sadly is often a life threatening illness for nursing home patients so we prefer when a nursing home does not leave this to chance. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Turning our last category of inspections, this facility received a terrible grade. With an F in the inspection category, this nursing home's overall grade was pulled down significantly. When a facility has this bad of an inspection rating, you should look for severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to patient safety. This particular facility was hit with 6 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that suggest that they posed a threat to resident health or safety. Finally, we also need to point out that this place received large government fines amounting to more than $100,000. This typically suggests that a nursing home's bad track record spanned multiple years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Watertown Convalarium Quality Metrics
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Watertown Convalarium, 3.55% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term care patients which suffered falls which caused major injury. We use this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Watertown Convalarium, 1.93% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely caused by poor nursing care. However, this datapoint may also be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Watertown Convalarium, 14.74% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Watertown Convalarium, 17.2% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients who are prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are generally used to treat patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Watertown Convalarium, 88.27% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Watertown Convalarium, 17.82% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may indicate the decline of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Watertown Convalarium, 22.18% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Watertown Convalarium, 22.18 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
- Waterbury HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.04 miles away64 Robbins St Waterbury Connecticut 06721Proprietary(203) 573-6000
- Charlotte Hungerford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.21 miles away540 Litchfield St Torrington Connecticut 06790Voluntary non-profit - Private(860) 496-6666
- Midstate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.39 miles away435 Lewis Avenue Meriden Connecticut 06450Voluntary non-profit - Private(203) 694-8200
- Hospital of Central Connecticut, TheAcute Care Hospitals 18.44 miles away100 Grand Street New Britain Connecticut 06050Voluntary non-profit - Other(860) 224-5011
- Griffin HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.72 miles away130 Division St Derby Connecticut 06418Voluntary non-profit - Other(203) 732-7500
- John Dempsey HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.94 miles away263 Farmington Ave Farmington Connecticut 06032Government - Local(860) 679-1145
- Davita Greater Waterbury Dialysis5.37 miles away209 Highland Avenue Waterbury Connecticut 06708CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (203) 574-7933
- Davita Waterbury Dialysis Center8.94 miles away150 Mattatuck Heights Waterbury Connecticut 06705CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (203) 419-0488
- Fmc Dialysis Services Forestville12 miles away135 Middle Street Bristol Connecticut 06010CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (860) 584-2155
- Fresenius Medical Care of Southington12.26 miles away341 West Street Plantsville Connecticut 06479Dialysis Stations: 19 (860) 621-3557
- Davita Torrington Dialysis13.91 miles awayC/O Joseph Marcantonio Kidney Center 780 Litchfield Street, Suite 100 Torrington Connecticut 06790Dialysis Stations: 19 (860) 496-0661
- Housatonic Dialysis17.82 miles away164 Mount Pleasant Rd Newtown Connecticut 06470Dialysis Stations: 10 (203) 270-0081
- Rutland Dialysis18.48 miles away100 Grand Street New Britain Connecticut 06050Dialysis Stations: 22 (860) 223-4603
- Wallingford Dialysis Care LLC18.89 miles away720 N Main Street Ext Suite 3 Wallingford Connecticut 06492Dialysis Stations: 13 (203) 265-0667