Waters Edge at Port Jefferson for Rehab and Nrsg is one of just a few nursing homes located in Port Jefferson, New York. Sporting an overall score of B-, this is a solid facility. Based on our analysis, this nursing home likely wouldn't be a bad choice. The best part of this place's profile is its exemplary inspection score. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Waters Edge at Port Jefferson for Rehab and Nrsg
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
150 Dark Hollow Road,
Port Jefferson NY 11777
87.75% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was not bad, it really fared well in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A+ for that category, which is one of our highest scores. Inspection grades weigh a host of factors included in a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher scores in this category typically have few of these severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also excelled in the category of short-term care, where we awarded it a score of A-. Not many facilities fared more favorably in this category. Our short-term care ratings are vital for individuals in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally requires higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes a vast spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents that ultimately returned home from this facility. We found that 6.3 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Waters Edge at Port Jefferson for Rehab and Nrsg?
This facility also earned a strong nursing score. In fact, we awarded it a F in this area. There are many datapoints within this grade. Most of the subcategories are tied to the quantity and quality of nurse staffing. This place averaged a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is not a very impressive figure. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing ratings. This facility performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the fourth area, this facility did not perform very well. With an abysmal grade of F in long-term care, this was this nursing home's poorest category grade. For patients in need of a permanent residence rather than skilled nursing, long-term care is a very important category. One of the data points we considered on top of nursing hours was vaccines. Fortunately, this facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 95.51724 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this nursing home also fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Waters Edge at Port Jefferson for Rehab and Nrsg Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Waters Edge at Port Jefferson for Rehab and Nrsg, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Waters Edge at Port Jefferson for Rehab and Nrsg, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a fall which caused severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Waters Edge at Port Jefferson for Rehab and Nrsg, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients that have suffered from urinary tract infections. UTI's could be an indication of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this datapoint can be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Waters Edge at Port Jefferson for Rehab and Nrsg, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term residents that were administered antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs aren't medically indicated. However, some nursing homes may need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Waters Edge at Port Jefferson for Rehab and Nrsg, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Waters Edge at Port Jefferson for Rehab and Nrsg, 13.2% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents exhibiting signs of depression. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reliable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Waters Edge at Port Jefferson for Rehab and Nrsg, 91.26% of Patients
This is the percent of residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Waters Edge at Port Jefferson for Rehab and Nrsg, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Waters Edge at Port Jefferson for Rehab and Nrsg, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who retained mobility levels.
In Waters Edge at Port Jefferson for Rehab and Nrsg, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Waters Edge at Port Jefferson for Rehab and Nrsg, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Waters Edge at Port Jefferson for Rehab and Nrsg, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Waters Edge at Port Jefferson for Rehab and Nrsg, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements.
- John T Mather Memorial Hospital of Port JeffersonAcute Care Hospitals 0.96 miles away75 North Country Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 473-1320
- St Charles HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.04 miles away200 Belle Terre Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 474-6000
- St Catherine of Siena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.12 miles away50 Route 25a Smithtown New York 11787Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 862-3000
- Long Island Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.81 miles away101 Hospital Road Patchogue New York 11772Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 654-7100
- Pilgrim Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 14.58 miles away998 Crooked Hill Road Brentwood New York 11717Government - State(631) 761-3500
- Southside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.28 miles away301 East Main Street Bay Shore New York 11706Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 968-3000
- Bridgeport HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.3 miles away267 Grant Street Bridgeport Connecticut 06610Voluntary non-profit - Private(203) 384-3000
- Huntington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.39 miles away270 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 351-2000
- Fms-Central Suffolk Akc1.38 miles away5225 Nesconset Highway Unit #72 - Bldg.9 Port Jefferson Station New York 11776CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (631) 331-5600
- Stony Brook Kidney Center, Dci2.25 miles away26 Research Way East Setauket New York 11733CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (631) 444-0502
- Coram Dialysis Center5.41 miles away1500 Middle Country Road Centereach New York 11720Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 716-8758
- Davita Medford Kidney Center8.3 miles away1725 North Ocean Avenue Medford New York 11763CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 10 (631) 289-8000
- St. Catherine of Siena Med. Ctr9.21 miles away50 Route 25a Dialysis Unit Smithtown New York 11787CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (631) 862-3707
- Long Island Community Hospital11.78 miles away101 Hospital Road Patchogue New York 11772Dialysis Stations: 6 (631) 654-7160
- Hauppauge Dialysis Center11.86 miles away30 Central Avenue Hauppauge New York 11788CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 761-6605
- Long Island Community Hospital12.09 miles away109 West Main Street Dialysis Satellite Patchogue New York 11772CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (631) 687-2828