Waterfront Terrace is an average-sized facility in Chicago, Illinois. This nursing home was given an F, which is really a bottom of the barrel score in our grading scheme. This facility didn't have any redeeming qualities. More information on this facility's category grades is available below. Its best category is inspections, which is discussed in the next section.
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Note: Waterfront Terrace has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent grade in that category with a score of B-. Inspection ratings account for several factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. Finally, CMS cited this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. Hopefully, its performance improves in the future, but until then we simply can't recommend this facility.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the area of long-term care, this facility was given a grade of just D in this area. As it turns out, this proved to be one of its better features. When nursing homes receive this type of score in this category it is typically a bad sign for resident care and it may mean that the facility is not as well-staffed with nurses and aids. After assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination statistics. We were a bit bothered by the fact that this nursing home vaccinated 87.434555 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is several points below average. To our surprise, this facility actually fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Waterfront Terrace?
We were surprised to find that this facility also excelled in nursing. We awarded it an D for that category, which is one of our best grades. There are a number of criteria included in this area. Many of these criteria are tied to the quantity and quality of nurse staffing. This nursing home averaged only 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing scores. This facility performed well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we assessed was short-term care. We gave it a lowly F in this category, which is an abysmal grade. Our short-term care grade is generally used to assess a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. In order to have high-end rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to provide higher levels of highly skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other licensed professionals. With a score this poor in this area, we weren't stunned to find this nursing home was well below average in several staffing figures we assess. In fact, it provided far fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most other nursing homes. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 4.6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Waterfront Terrace Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Waterfront Terrace, 8.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Waterfront Terrace, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Waterfront Terrace, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often caused by nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Better nursing care can minimize the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Keep in mind that this metric is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Waterfront Terrace, 18.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Waterfront Terrace, 19.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. These drugs are generally prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Waterfront Terrace, 30.45% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Some experts believe this is a reliable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Waterfront Terrace, 87.4% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Waterfront Terrace, 13.9% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Waterfront Terrace, 17.56% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Waterfront Terrace, 1.66 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Waterfront Terrace, 17.56 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Waterfront Terrace, 11.82 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Waterfront Terrace, 71.65% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with activities of daily living often correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Chicago, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Chicago, Illinois has 80 other nursing homes
- South Shore HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.95 miles away8012 South Crandon Avenue Chicago Illinois 60617Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 356-5000
- Jackson Park HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.72 miles away7531 S Stony Island Ave Chicago Illinois 60649Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 947-7500
- Advocate Trinity HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.2 miles away2320 E 93rd St Chicago Illinois 60617Voluntary non-profit - Other(773) 967-5002
- The University of Chicago Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.5 miles away5841 South Maryland Chicago Illinois 60637Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 702-1000
- St Bernard HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.44 miles away326 W 64th St Chicago Illinois 60621Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 962-3900
- Provident Hospital of ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 4.51 miles away500 E 51st St Chicago Illinois 60615Government - Local(312) 572-2000
- Roseland Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.77 miles away45 W 111th Street Chicago Illinois 60628Voluntary non-profit - Other(773) 995-3000
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.24 miles away2701 W 68th Street Chicago Illinois 60629Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 884-9000
- Fmc - South Shore0.74 miles away2420 East 79th St Chicago Illinois 60649Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 374-9002
- Davita - Stony Island Dialysis1.48 miles away8725 South Stony Island Ave Chicago Illinois 60617CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (773) 221-7320
- Fmc - Jackson Park Dialysis Center1.7 miles away7531 South Stony Island Chicago Illinois 60649Dialysis Stations: 24 (773) 947-7510
- Fmc - South Chicago1.93 miles away9200 S. South Chicago Ave. Chicago Illinois 60617CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (773) 734-7433
- Davita Park Manor Dialysis2.35 miles away9505 S. Colfax Avenue Chicago Illinois 60617Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 978-5237
- Davita - Grand Crossing Dialysis2.76 miles away7319 S. Cottage Grove Ave. Chicago Illinois 60619CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (773) 783-3491
- Fmc - Greenwood Avenue Dialysis Center3.29 miles away1111 East 87th Street, Suite 700 Chicago Illinois 60619CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (773) 375-5668
- Fmc - South Deering Dialysis3.68 miles away10559 S Torrence Ave Chicago Illinois 60617Dialysis Stations: 20 (773) 768-7100