Washington Healthcare Center is in the large metropolitan area of Indianapolis, Indiana which has a total of 910,148 people. This nursing home proved to be a quality facility, with an overall grade of B. Indeed, we thought highly enough of this nursing home to rate it ahead of most of the nursing homes in Indianapolis. This place was stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any weak links in any of our four major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Washington Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - County
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a strong nursing home overall, this nursing home excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned an A. Few nursing homes fared better in that category. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing our inspection ratings. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies can be quite minor. This place was hit with 8 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that the inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies an immediate risk to patient safety or health. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in this industry.
One of the other reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing rating. In fact, nursing turned out to be its second best category grade. In that area, we awarded this nursing home an A-. Our nursing score assesses the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We weigh both the levels of skill of those nurses as well as the amount of time spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Washington Healthcare Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to an additional strength for this nursing home, we gave them one of our higher scores in our short-term care category as well, with a B. Our short-term care grades are believed to be most critical for patients needing a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally requires additional skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes not only nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final metric we looked at in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We found that 5.1 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we rated was long-term care. We gave it a C in that area. This is a fair grade in this category. For patients in need of a permanent place to live rather than rehabilitation, long-term care is a very important category. Once we concluded our assessment of the amount of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination records. We were pleased to find that this facility vaccinated 95.333336 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Washington Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Washington Healthcare Center, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents which suffer from pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a great barometer of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Washington Healthcare Center, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Washington Healthcare Center, 1.96% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who have suffered from UTI's. UTI's could be a sign of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this statistic could also be misleading for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Washington Healthcare Center, 13.37% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to patients for a variety of medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Washington Healthcare Center, 21.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Washington Healthcare Center, 12.38% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Washington Healthcare Center, 91.56% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Washington Healthcare Center, 16.12% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Washington Healthcare Center, 17.5% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Washington Healthcare Center, 17.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Washington Healthcare Center, 11.23 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Washington Healthcare Center, 73.53% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term residents that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Indianapolis, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Indianapolis, Indiana has 45 other nursing homes
- St Vincent Neighborhood HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.17 miles away9613 East Us Highway 36 Avon Indiana 46123Proprietary(317) 703-1999
- Iu Health West HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.8 miles away1111 N Ronald Reagan Pkwy Avon Indiana 46123Proprietary(317) 217-3000
- Eskenazi HealthAcute Care Hospitals 7.71 miles away720 Eskenazi Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46202Government - Local(317) 880-4818
- Indiana University HealthAcute Care Hospitals 8.4 miles away1701 N Senate Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 962-5900
- Franciscan Health MooresvilleAcute Care Hospitals 9.16 miles away1201 Hadley Rd Mooresville Indiana 46158Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 831-1160
- Hendricks Regional HealthAcute Care Hospitals 10.46 miles away1000 E Main St Danville Indiana 46122Government - Local(317) 745-4451
- Community Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 11.42 miles away1402 E County Line Rd S Indianapolis Indiana 46227Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 887-7000
- Neurodiagnostic InstitutePsychiatric 12.75 miles away5435 E 16th St Indianapolis Indiana 46218Government - State(317) 941-4000
- Davita - Avon Dialysis2.32 miles away9210 Rockville Road, Ste D Indianapolis Indiana 46234Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 209-2544
- Fmc - Indianapolis-West3.51 miles away805 Beachway Drive Suite 100 Indianapolis Indiana 46224Dialysis Stations: 18 (317) 484-3550
- Davita - Plainfield5.47 miles away8110 Network Drive Plainfield Indiana 46168CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (317) 838-8089
- Davita Speedway Dialysis6.06 miles away2636 W. Michigan St. Indianapolis Indiana 46222Dialysis Stations: 13 (317) 423-0956
- Davita - Eagle Highlands6.63 miles away6925 Shore Terrace Indianapolis Indiana 46254Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 295-0423
- Dci - Indianapolis6.77 miles away1719 West 10th Street Indianapolis Indiana 46222CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (317) 631-2005
- Davita - Westview Dialysis7.21 miles away3749 Commercial Dr. Indianapolis Indiana 46222CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (317) 299-4693
- Riley Hospital - Peds Dialysis7.29 miles away705 Riley Hospital Drive Roc Dialysis Rm 1240 Indianapolis Indiana 46202Dialysis Stations: 8 (317) 944-4303