Walnut Place is a facility located in Dallas, Texas which has 1,263,321 people. This is a decent nursing home with a B- overall grade. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Dallas. Based on our assessment, there are certainly far worse facilities out there. The best part of this facility's profile was its remarkable inspection grade. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Dallas senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Lymphedema Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its relatively modest overall grade, we gave this facility an A for our inspections rating. This is far more impressive than its overall grade. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining our inspection scores. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these end up being relatively minor. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This tells you that the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the area of short-term care, we gave this facility a score of A- in that category. Our short-term care grade is commonly used to score a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. To offer highly scored rehabilitation services, facilities generally must provide better levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. We weren't able to track down information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The final item we looked at in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that 6.4 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Walnut Place?
Long-term Care Quality
We awarded this nursing home a grade of just D for our long-term care score. This is not an impressive grade. Facilities that do not fare well in this category typically aren't as well-staffed and are lagging in a few of the areas of routine personal care we assessed. After considering the amount of nursing care, we then looked at the facility's vaccination statistics. Candidly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this nursing home vaccinated a relatively low 79.37853 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Surprisingly, this place was actually decent at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This was its best feature in this category.
This nursing home's least impressive area was nursing, which is the last area we analyzed. For this category, we awarded this nursing home a grade of just D. Our nursing score includes a number of subcategories. The most important factor is the number of hours nurses spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing grades. This nursing home fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Walnut Place Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Walnut Place, 7.17% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term care patients who suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Walnut Place, 3.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric gauges the percent of long-term residents which have had a fall which resulted in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Walnut Place, 1.52% of Patients had UTIs
This measures the percent of long-term stay patients who suffered from a UTI. While more of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare different nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Walnut Place, 10.14% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Walnut Place, 22.67% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term care patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Walnut Place, 4.84% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Walnut Place, 93.69% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Walnut Place, 17.58% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and using the bathroom. Many would argue this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Walnut Place, 13.47% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term care patients who retained mobility levels. Many would argue that the ability to move around is critical to patients well-being.
In Walnut Place, 1.89 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Walnut Place, 13.47 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Walnut Place, 11.91 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Walnut Place, 66.29% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Dallas, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Dallas, Texas has 17 other nursing homes
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital DallasAcute Care Hospitals 0.03 miles away8200 Walnut Hill Lane Dallas Texas 75231Voluntary non-profit - Private(214) 345-6789
- Texas Institute for Surgery at Presbyterian HospitAcute Care Hospitals 0.5 miles away7115 Greenville Avenue Suite 100 Dallas Texas 75231Proprietary(214) 647-5300
- North Central Surgical Center LlpAcute Care Hospitals 0.68 miles away9301 North Central Expressway Suite 100 Dallas Texas 75231Voluntary non-profit - Other(214) 265-2810
- Medical City DallasAcute Care Hospitals 1.85 miles away7777 Forest Lane Dallas Texas 75230Proprietary(972) 566-6222
- City Hospital at White RockAcute Care Hospitals 4.75 miles away9440 Poppy Dr Dallas Texas 75218Proprietary(214) 324-6100
- Baylor Scott and White Medical Center UptownAcute Care Hospitals 5.72 miles away2727 East Lemmon Avenue Building I Dallas Texas 75204Proprietary(214) 443-3000
- Baylor University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.46 miles away3500 Gaston Ave Dallas Texas 75246Voluntary non-profit - Church(214) 820-0111
- Parkland Health and Hospital SystemAcute Care Hospitals 6.52 miles away5200 Harry Hines Blvd Dallas Texas 75235Government - Hospital District or Authority(214) 590-8000
- Walnut Hill Dialysis Center0.34 miles away9840 North Central Expressway Suite 340 Dallas Texas 75231CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (469) 232-5333
- Davita Central Dallas Dialysis0.46 miles away9500 North Central Expressway Suite #102 Dallas Texas 75231Dialysis Stations: 16 (214) 739-3004
- Us Renal Care North Dallas Dialysis0.8 miles away10740 N Central Expressway Suite 150 Dallas Texas 75231CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (469) 518-6772
- Usrc Royal Central, LLC1.37 miles away11343 N Central Expy Dallas Texas 75243Dialysis Stations: 13 (469) 862-9991
- Dallas North Dialysis Center1.58 miles away11886 Greenville Ave Suite 100b Dallas Texas 75243Dialysis Stations: 12 (972) 918-0100
- Renal Center of North Dallas, LLC3.5 miles away6190 Lbj Freeway Building 2 Suite 701 Dallas Texas 75240Dialysis Stations: 16 (972) 789-0192
- Davita Preston Dialysis3.86 miles away13340 Preston Rd Dallas Texas 75240Dialysis Stations: 17 (972) 980-4361
- Usrc East Dallas, LLC5.13 miles away11255 Graland Rd. Suite 1160 Dallas Texas 75218Dialysis Stations: 5 (214) 273-2649