Walker Methodist Health Center is a nursing home located in Minneapolis, Minnesota which has a total of 1,022,298 people. We gave this facility a B overall, which is a quality grade. We were equally impressed that Minneapolis received a B+ city grade, making this one of the best places to find a nursing home. Even in a city with 52 other nursing homes, this facility ought to be a perfectly acceptable selection. The best part of this nursing home's impressive report card is its short-term care score. short-term care grades are discussed in the next section
Walker Methodist Health Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Other
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
On top of receiving a strong overall score, this facility performed well in our short-term care category. We awarded it an A for that category, which is one of our highest scores. In the area of short-term care, we seek to assess measures of a facility's rehabilitation. We look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.6 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
One of the other reasons we graded this nursing home so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing score. In that category, we awarded this facility an B+. There are a number of criteria within this category. Most of these subcategories relate to the quantity of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Walker Methodist Health Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next highest area turned out to be long-term care. In that area, we gave this facility a B-. In a long-term care setting, the primary objective is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Fortunately, this facility administered the vaccine to 94.68243 percent of its patients, which is a very respectable datapoint. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
In our last category, inspections proved to be this nursing home's weakest link. It received a score of C in this category. Inspection scores relate to a facility's inspection reports. Inspection ratings are based on items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key item to look for on these reports. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to resident safety. This facility was assessed 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to find that none were category G through L deficiencies. This means inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies to create an imminent danger to patient health or safety. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Walker Methodist Health Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Walker Methodist Health Center, 6.69% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who developed new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Walker Methodist Health Center, 4.21% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who experienced a fall leading to severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Walker Methodist Health Center, 2.83% of Patients had UTIs
This is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents which sustained a urinary tract infection. Although more infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it can be difficult to compare between facilities due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Walker Methodist Health Center, 16.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Walker Methodist Health Center, 12.33% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Walker Methodist Health Center, 4.58% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents showing depressive symptoms. Some experts argue this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Walker Methodist Health Center, 93.31% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Walker Methodist Health Center, 13.09% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Walker Methodist Health Center, 18.07% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Walker Methodist Health Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Walker Methodist Health Center, 18.07 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Walker Methodist Health Center, 12.51 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Walker Methodist Health Center, 76.76% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Minneapolis, MN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Minneapolis, Minnesota has 51 other nursing homes
- Abbott Northwestern HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.83 miles away800 East 28th Street Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 863-4457
- Children's Hospitals & Clinics of MnChildrens 2.03 miles away2525 Chicago Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 813-6112
- Hennepin County Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 2.97 miles away701 Park Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55415Government - Local(612) 873-3629
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, FairviewAcute Care Hospitals 3.38 miles away2450 Riverside Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 273-3000
- Park Nicollet Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.54 miles away6500 Excelsior Blvd Minneapolis Minnesota 55426Voluntary non-profit - Private(952) 993-5000
- Fairview Southdale HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.83 miles away6401 France Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55435Voluntary non-profit - Private(952) 924-5100
- North Memorial HealthAcute Care Hospitals 5.69 miles away3300 Oakdale North Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Voluntary non-profit - Private(763) 520-5200
- United HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.93 miles away333 North Smith Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55102Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 241-8810
- Davita - Uptown0.23 miles away3601 Lyndale Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55409Dialysis Stations: 12 (612) 825-4583
- Fmc Dialysis - South Minneapolis0.93 miles away4310 Nicollet Ave Minneapolis Minnesota 55409Dialysis Stations: 12 (612) 822-4411
- Bio-Medical Applications of Minnesota, Inc.1.87 miles away2637 Park Ave S Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Dialysis Stations: 14 (612) 872-1946
- Minneapolis Dialysis of Davita2.28 miles away825 S 8th St, sl42 Minneapolis Minnesota 55404CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (612) 347-5972
- Home Dialysis of Davita - Pd Unit2.89 miles away825 S 8th St Suite 1202, Pd Unit Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Dialysis Stations: 6 (612) 347-4458
- Fresenius - St Louis Park Dialysis3.21 miles away5680 36th St W Minneapolis Minnesota 55416Dialysis Stations: 12 (952) 926-0959
- U of Mn Med Ctr, Fairview - Dialysis3.4 miles away2450 Riverside Ave Kidney Center South Bldg Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Dialysis Stations: 11 (612) 365-3756
- Davita - Richfield3.61 miles away6601 Lyndale Ave South Suite 150 Minneapolis Minnesota 55423Dialysis Stations: 12 (612) 869-2118