Wahiawa General Hospital is a senior living facility in Wahiawa, Hawaii, which has a total of 40,859 people. We awarded it an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the pack rating. In addition, this is a hospital-based nursing home, which may add peace of mind for prospective patients with significant health conditions. One of the best aspects of this nursing home's profile is its remarkable short-term care rating, which you can find in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Wahiawa General Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
128 Lehua Street,
Wahiawa HI 96786
80.74% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Other
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
We awarded this nursing home an impressive grade of A+ in the area of short-term care. In computing these short-term care ratings, we quantify the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The objective is to formulate a barometer for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 7.3 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
One of the other reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing rating. Nursing turned out to be its second best category grade. In that category, we awarded this nursing home an A. Our nursing score is based on the facility's level of nurse staffing. We weigh both the levels of licensure of the nurses and the amount of time spent with residents. This particular nursing home provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Wahiawa General Hospital?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the category of long-term care, we gave this facility a grade of A- in that area. Long-term care scores in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 98.611115 percent of its patients, which is significantly higher than the majority of nursing homes. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Turning our last category of inspections, we gave this facility a D. This turned out to be this facility's worst grade and it really hurt its overall grade. Our inspection score is based on the facility's inspections. Since the information is collected by government inspectors, we weight it heavily in overall grade. Our inspection scores account for several factors found on a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. This particular nursing home was assessed 5 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only favorable thing we found is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that suggest that they caused a risk to patient safety or health. However, there weren't many highlights for this facility in this area.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Wahiawa General Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Wahiawa General Hospital, 5.53% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who developed pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are an measure of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Wahiawa General Hospital, 1.88% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term care patients which had falls which caused severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Wahiawa General Hospital, 2.81% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic measures the percent of long-term residents who have experienced a UTI. While a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is problematic to compare different facilities due to nursing homes having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Wahiawa General Hospital, 10.74% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients which are given antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications are not medically required. However, some facilities may need to rely more on these drugs due to having more patients suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Wahiawa General Hospital, 8.69% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Wahiawa General Hospital, 1.74% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Many argue that this is a reliable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Wahiawa General Hospital, 95.43% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Wahiawa General Hospital, 13.21% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Wahiawa General Hospital, 18.67% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who retained mobility levels.
In Wahiawa General Hospital, 1.11 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Wahiawa General Hospital, 18.67 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Wahiawa General Hospital, 11.79 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Wahiawa General Hospital, 76.75% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many would argue that this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation services.
- Wahiawa General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0 miles away128 Lehua Street Wahiawa Hawaii 96786Voluntary non-profit - Private(808) 621-8411
- Pali Momi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.91 miles away98-1079 Moanalua Road Aiea Hawaii 96701Proprietary(808) 486-6000
- Kahuku Medical CenterCritical Access Hospitals 12.52 miles away56-117 Pualalea Street Kahuku Hawaii 96731Voluntary non-profit - Other(808) 293-9221
- Kaiser Foundation HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.91 miles away3288 Moanalua Rd Honolulu Hawaii 96819Voluntary non-profit - Private(808) 432-0000
- Tripler Amc (Ft Shafter)Acute Care - Department of Defense 14.65 miles away1 Jarrett White Rd Tripler Army Medical Center Hawaii 96859Department of Defense(808) 433-2778
- Kuakini Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.31 miles away347 North Kuakini Street Honolulu Hawaii 96817Voluntary non-profit - Private(808) 536-2236
- The Queens Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.18 miles away1301 Punchbowl St Honolulu Hawaii 96813Voluntary non-profit - Private(808) 538-9011
- Straub Clinic and HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.72 miles away888 So King Street Honolulu Hawaii 96813Proprietary(808) 522-4000
- Dsi Wahiawa Dialysis Center0.04 miles away850 Kilani Avenue Wahiawa Hawaii 96786CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (808) 621-5151
- Liberty Dialysis Hawaii Mililani3.1 miles away95-1105 Ainamakua Dr Mililani Hawaii 96789Dialysis Stations: 35 (808) 626-6419
- Waipahu Dialysis8.24 miles away94-450 Mokuola Street #109 Waipahu Hawaii 96797CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (808) 697-2200
- Dsi Waipahu Dialysis8.43 miles away94-862 Kahuailani Street Waipahu Hawaii 96797CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (808) 678-6757
- Waianae Dialysis10.13 miles away86-080 Farrington Highway Suite 101 Waianae Hawaii 96792CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (808) 696-0216
- Dsi - Pearlridge Dialysis Center10.64 miles away98-1005 Moanalua Road, Suite 420 Island of Oahu Aiea Hawaii 96701CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (808) 440-4800
- Dsi - Kapolei Dialysis Center11.14 miles away555 Farrington Highway Kapolei Hawaii 96707CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (808) 693-8980
- Us Renal Care West Oahu Dialysis11.54 miles away889 Kamokila Blvd Kapolei Hawaii 96707CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (808) 674-9604