Vista Manor Nursing Center turns out to be one of a multitude of options you can choose from in San Jose, California. Sporting an overall grade of A-, this nursing home is one of the better facilities we assessed. This grade is higher than the city grade of B+ in San Jose, which is also an impressive grade. The best part of this facility's impressive report card is its short-term care grade. We discuss short-term care in the next paragraph
Vista Manor Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to being a first rate facility overall, this facility also excelled in the category of short-term care, where it earned an impressive grade of A. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. In the category of short-term care, we seek to evaluate indicators of a facility's rehabilitation. We analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.1 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Adding to its impressive category scores, this facility also excelled in the area of inspections, where it received a grade of A. Perhaps the most important factor we look at in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Facilities with higher grades in this area typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Vista Manor Nursing Center?
Another strong feature for this facility is that it received an impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of B+. The nursing rating includes many factors, many of which are based on levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we scored is long-term care, in which this nursing home was awarded a grade of B-. Even though this proved to be its lowest category rating, this is still not a poor grade. For prospective patients seeking a permanent residence rather than rehabilitation, long-term care grades are an important measure. Once we looked at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is more than the vast majority of nursing homes. This facility keeps its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Vista Manor Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Vista Manor Nursing Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Vista Manor Nursing Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of long-term care patients who have sustained a fall leading to major injury. We use this statistic in calculating nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Vista Manor Nursing Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who had UTI's. UTI's may be an indication of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric can be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Vista Manor Nursing Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This gauges the percentage of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Vista Manor Nursing Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Vista Manor Nursing Center, 4.33% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Some experts believe this is a measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Vista Manor Nursing Center, 95.72% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Vista Manor Nursing Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the deterioration of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Vista Manor Nursing Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Vista Manor Nursing Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Vista Manor Nursing Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Vista Manor Nursing Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Vista Manor Nursing Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many argue this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for San Jose, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Jose, California has 18 other nursing homes
- Regional Medical Center of San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 0.28 miles away225 N Jackson Avenue San Jose California 95116Government - Federal(408) 259-5000
- O'connor HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.27 miles away2105 Forest Avenue San Jose California 95128Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 947-2500
- Santa Clara Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.48 miles away751 South Bascom Avenue San Jose California 95128Government - Local(408) 885-5000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-Santa ClaraAcute Care Hospitals 8.15 miles away700 Lawrence Expressway Santa Clara California 95051Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 236-6400
- Kaiser Permanente Psychiatric Health Facility-SantPsychiatric 8.37 miles away3840 Homestead Road Santa Clara California 95051Proprietary(408) 851-4850
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 8.81 miles away250 Hospital Parkway San Jose California 95119Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 972-7000
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.14 miles away2425 Samaritan Drive San Jose California 95124Proprietary(408) 559-2011
- El Camino HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.53 miles away2500 Grant Road Mountain View California 94040Government - Hospital District or Authority(650) 940-7000
- Satellite Dialysis San Jose0.08 miles away2121 Alexian Drive San Jose California 95116CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 56 (408) 258-8720
- Satellite Dialysis White Road1.2 miles away1450 S White Road #30 San Jose California 95127CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 272-9810
- Davita Eastridge Dialysis1.6 miles away3501 E Capitol Expressway San Jose California 95122Dialysis Stations: 24 (408) 239-0466
- Tully Dialysis Center3.17 miles away1290 Tully Rd Suite 80 San Jose California 95122CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (408) 993-8959
- Davita Silicon Valley Home Training3.27 miles away725 Ridder Park Dr., Ste 50 San Jose California 95131Dialysis Stations: 8 (408) 392-0239
- Davita Silicon Valley Dialysis3.27 miles away725 Ridder Park., Ste 10 San Jose California 95131CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (408) 392-0390
- Kaiser Permanente - Skyport3.86 miles away1721 Technology Drive Dept #245 San Jose California 95110Dialysis Stations: 1 (408) 436-4300
- Satellite Dialysis Silver Creek4.28 miles away1620 East Capitol Expressway San Jose California 95121CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (408) 754-3400