Vista Hills Health Care Center is an average-sized nursing home located in El Paso, Texas. Sporting an overall rating of D, this is a lower end facility. As far as we can see, we'd struggle to recommend this place. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this facility's report card is its impressive inspection reports. You can continue reading to learn more about inspections and other category scores
Vista Hills Health Care Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
1599 Lomaland Dr,
El Paso TX 79935
85.83% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not rate this facility favorably overall, we want to draw your attention to its nearly flawless government inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A in this category. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing our inspection ratings. One critical factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some are relatively minor. This facility was assessed 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered severe. This tells you that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies to pose an immediate threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a favorable score in long-term care. This nursing home received a B in this category, which turns out to be one of our more favorable scores. When facilities receive a grade in this range in long-term care it typically means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. After looking at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping patients out of the hospital. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Vista Hills Health Care Center?
We gave this facility a grade of just D for our nursing rating. There are a host of criteria within this grade. Most of the datapoints relate to the quantity of nurse staffing. This particular facility offered just 2.8 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This statistic is well below average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing scores. This nursing home performed well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these metrics to be indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed was short-term care. This nursing home was given a bottom of the barrel grade of F in that area. Our short-term care grade is often employed to grade a facility's performance with rehabilitation. In order to offer highly graded rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to provide higher levels of highly skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. With its score in this category, we weren't stunned to learn that this nursing home was well below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its patients based on the data we looked at. Frankly, this was about what we expected here. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of residents who ultimately were able to return home from this facility. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 34.8 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit off the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Vista Hills Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Vista Hills Health Care Center, 7.96% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Vista Hills Health Care Center, 3.3% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric gauges the percent of long-term care residents that suffered falls leading to severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Vista Hills Health Care Center, 1.63% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely the result of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint could be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Vista Hills Health Care Center, 11.7% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for a variety of conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Vista Hills Health Care Center, 22.57% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally given to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Vista Hills Health Care Center, 4.7% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Many argue that this is a measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Vista Hills Health Care Center, 95.06% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Vista Hills Health Care Center, 17.37% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Vista Hills Health Care Center, 17.98% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents that were able to retain mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Vista Hills Health Care Center, 17.98 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Vista Hills Health Care Center, 11.91 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Vista Hills Health Care Center, 66.67% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with activities of daily living generally correlates with better rehabilitation services.
Scores for El Paso, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? El Paso, Texas has 19 other nursing homes
- Foundation Surgical Hospital of El PasoAcute Care Hospitals 2.23 miles away1416 George Dieter El Paso Texas 79936Proprietary(915) 598-4240
- The Hospitals of Providence East CampusAcute Care Hospitals 4.29 miles away3280 Joe Battle Blvd El Paso Texas 79938Proprietary(915) 856-7349
- El Paso Children's HospitalChildrens 6.28 miles away4845 Alameda Avenue El Paso Texas 79905Voluntary non-profit - Private(915) 521-7148
- El Paso Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 6.4 miles away4615 Alameda Avenue El Paso Texas 79905Government - State(915) 532-2202
- University Medical Center of El PasoAcute Care Hospitals 6.4 miles away4815 Alameda Ave El Paso Texas 79905Government - Hospital District or Authority(915) 521-7602
- The Hospitals of Providence Horizon City CampusAcute Care Hospitals 8.86 miles away13600 Horizon Street, Suite 100 El Paso Texas 79928Proprietary(915) 407-7878
- Sierra Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.03 miles away1625 Medical Center Dr El Paso Texas 79902Proprietary(915) 747-4000
- William Beaumont Amg (Ft Bliss)Acute Care - Department of Defense 9.05 miles away5005 N. Piedras St. El Paso Texas 79920Department of Defense(915) 742-2121
- Davita - Loma Vista Dialysis0.54 miles away1382a Lomaland Dr El Paso Texas 79935CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 53 (915) 591-0834
- Us Renal Care East El Paso Dialysis0.75 miles away10737 Gateway W Ste 100 El Paso Texas 79935CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (915) 590-8334
- Fmc Dialysis Services Vista Del Sol1.04 miles away10420 Vista Del Sol, Suite #201 El Paso Texas 79925Dialysis Stations: 17 (915) 592-8496
- Cielo Vista Dialysis1.3 miles away7200 Gateway E Ste B El Paso Texas 79915CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (915) 771-6893
- Fresenius Medical Care El Paso Gateway1.31 miles away10767 Gateway West Suite 600 El Paso Texas 79935Dialysis Stations: 20 (915) 599-2891
- El Paso Health Ii, LLC1.45 miles away1120 Mcrae Blvd Bldg D El Paso Texas 79925Dialysis Stations: 16 (915) 591-0053
- Davita East Dialysis2.93 miles away11989 Pellicano Drive El Paso Texas 79936CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (915) 856-6363
- Davita Ascarate Dialysis3.2 miles away7281 Alameda Ave El Paso Texas 79915Dialysis Stations: 25 (915) 881-1796