Vista Cove Care Center at Santa Paula is the lone nursing home we found in Santa Paula, California. We awarded this nursing home an overall grade of B. A score of this caliber requires respectable scores in most areas. Based on our assessment, this place is a solid choice for quite a few people. This place's impressive report card was highlighted by its nursing rating, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Vista Cove Care Center at Santa Paula
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
250 March St,
Santa Paula CA 93060
78.38% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, this nursing home received a grade of B+ for its nursing rating. This is an above average score in this area. The nursing score consists of quite a few factors, however, the most important consideration is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility California in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of turning patients even once per day.
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, this facility also was given favorable short-term care scores this year. Indeed, we gave them one of our better grades in that category, with a grade of B+. With our short-term care category, we seek to forge a valuable gauge for rehabilitation services. In this process, we analyze the nursing home's scope of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final statistic we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that 5.5 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Vista Cove Care Center at Santa Paula?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home is also strong in the category of long-term care, where it received a score of B. It performed more favorably than most facilities in this category. When nursing homes receive this type of score in this category it is usually a good sign for resident care and indicates that the place is well-staffed with nurses aids. After assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is significantly higher than the average nursing home. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
In the final category we assessed, this facility received a decent score in the area of inspections as well. We awarded it a score of B for that category. Our inspection ratings are tied to many items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that receive favorable grades in this area tend to have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in this industry.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Vista Cove Care Center at Santa Paula Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Vista Cove Care Center at Santa Paula, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Vista Cove Care Center at Santa Paula, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are often associated with lower levels of patient supervision. Closer supervision can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Vista Cove Care Center at Santa Paula, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Vista Cove Care Center at Santa Paula, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients who are administered antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs are not medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely on these medications due to having more patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Vista Cove Care Center at Santa Paula, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are generally prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Vista Cove Care Center at Santa Paula, 4.64% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Vista Cove Care Center at Santa Paula, 95.44% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Vista Cove Care Center at Santa Paula, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Vista Cove Care Center at Santa Paula, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that retained mobility levels.
In Vista Cove Care Center at Santa Paula, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Vista Cove Care Center at Santa Paula, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Vista Cove Care Center at Santa Paula, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Vista Cove Care Center at Santa Paula, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's often correlates with successful rehabilitation.
- St Johns Pleasant Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.19 miles away2309 Antonio Ave Camarillo California 93010Voluntary non-profit - Church(805) 389-5800
- St Johns Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.13 miles away1600 N Rose Ave Oxnard California 93030Voluntary non-profit - Private(805) 988-2500
- Ventura County Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.01 miles away300 Hillmont Avenue Ventura California 93003Government - Local(805) 652-6075
- Community Memorial Hospital San BuenaventuraAcute Care Hospitals 11.31 miles away147 N Brent St Ventura California 93003Voluntary non-profit - Private(805) 652-5011
- Ojai Valley Community HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 12.53 miles away1306 Maricopa Hwy Ojai California 93023Voluntary non-profit - Private(805) 640-2280
- Adventist Health Simi ValleyAcute Care Hospitals 19.63 miles away2975 N Sycamore Dr Simi Valley California 93065Voluntary non-profit - Church(805) 955-6000
- Davita-Dialysis Center of Santa Paula0.02 miles away253 March Street Santa Paula California 93060CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 10 (805) 525-3977
- Fmc-Santa Paula0.62 miles away242 E. Harvard Blvd. Santa Paula California 93060Dialysis Stations: 16 (805) 525-1500
- Davita-Dialysis Center of Ventura8 miles away2705 Loma Vista Road, Suite 101 Ventura California 93003CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (805) 643-7549
- Davita-Dialysis Center of Camarillo8.14 miles away2438 N. Ponderosa Drive, Suite C-101 Camarillo California 93010Dialysis Stations: 18 (805) 764-0171
- Fmc-Camarillo Dialysis Center9.15 miles away3801 Las Posas Road, Suite 103 Camarillo California 93010Dialysis Stations: 15 (805) 388-2449
- Davita-Oxnard Dialysis Center9.68 miles away1900 Outlet Center Dr. Oxnard California 93036CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (805) 278-3961
- Fmc-Oxnard9.8 miles away1801 Holser Walk, Suite 310 Oxnard California 93030CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (805) 988-3339
- Fmc-Ventura10.89 miles away4567 Telephone Road, Suite 101 Ventura California 93003CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (805) 658-9211