Virgil Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center is located in Los Angeles, California, which is among the most densely populated metropolitan areas in the nation. This nursing home was given an overall grade of B+, which is very good score. Even in a city with 75 other nursing homes, this nursing home stood out. This facility's strong profile was highlighted by its nursing score, which we will address in the next section.
Virgil Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a first rate facility overall, this facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A+. Few nursing homes performed better in this category. Nursing scores are primarily based on a facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
This nursing home also excelled in the area of inspections. We gave it a grade of B+ for that category, which is one of our best grades. This is one of the few facilities with an overall grade in this range which earned multiple category grades this high. Inspection ratings account for several factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better grades in this area tend to have few severe deficiencies. This place received 12 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered severe. This means that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies to be an imminent threat to resident health or safety. We should note that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in this industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Virgil Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility was given an impressive long-term care grade as well. We gave it one of our higher grades in that category with a score of B+. Facilities that receive this type of grade in this category tend to provide consistent around the clock care to make sure patients are well cared for. After looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is significantly higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the next category, this facility received a decent short-term care score. While this wasn't quite as impressive as many of its other scores, this is truly nothing to be ashamed of. In our short-term care score, we seek to forge a fair barometer for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we analyze the facility's scope of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients that ultimately returned home from this facility. We found that 3.5 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Virgil Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Virgil Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Virgil Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are often linked to lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Virgil Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often caused by lower quality nursing care. Additional nurse staffing minimizes the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Keep in mind that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Virgil Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used to treat a variety of conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Virgil Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term residents that were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically given to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Virgil Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 4.33% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some experts would argue this is a reasonable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Virgil Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 95.72% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Virgil Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could indicate erosion of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Virgil Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term patients who maintained mobility.
In Virgil Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Virgil Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Virgil Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Scores for Los Angeles, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Los Angeles, California has 74 other nursing homes
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.54 miles away1300 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles California 90027Proprietary(213) 413-3000
- Children's Hosp of Los AngelesChildrens 0.65 miles away4650 Sunset Blvd, Ms 108 Los Angeles California 90027Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 669-2164
- Saint Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.98 miles away2131 W 3rd St Los Angeles California 90057Voluntary non-profit - Church(213) 484-7111
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 2.26 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.1 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- California Hospital Medical Center LaAcute Care Hospitals 3.84 miles away1401 South Grand Avenue Los Angeles California 90015Voluntary non-profit - Other(213) 748-2411
- Lac+Usc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.88 miles away1200 N State St, Room c2k100 Los Angeles California 90033Government - Local(323) 226-2800
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.18 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- Davita-Hollywood Dialysis Center0.63 miles away5108 Sunset Blvd. Los Angeles California 90027CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (323) 913-4010
- Davita-Silver Lake Dialysis1.14 miles away2723 W. Temple St Los Angeles California 90026CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (213) 480-3039
- u.s. Renal Care Downtown Los Angeles Dialysis1.78 miles away2511 W 3rd Street, Suite 120 Los Angeles California 90057Dialysis Stations: 24 (213) 487-7730
- St. Vincent Dialysis Center, Inc.1.95 miles away201 S. Alvarado Street, Suite 220 Los Angeles California 90057Dialysis Stations: 17 (213) 484-7425
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Mid-Wilshire2.13 miles away3545 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 100-103 Los Angeles California 90010CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (213) 382-8864
- Childrens Hospital of Los Angeles2.3 miles awayDivision of Nephrology (Dialysis) 4650 Sunset Blvd., Box 40 Los Angeles California 90027Dialysis Stations: 10 (323) 361-4788
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Sunset2.3 miles awayDialysis Unit 4700 Sunset Blvd., 2nd Floor Los Angeles California 90027CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (323) 783-5580
- u.s. Renal Care Gala Dialysis2.61 miles away1666 W. Third Street Los Angeles California 90017CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (213) 989-0247