Virgil Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center is located in Los Angeles, California, which is among the most densely populated metropolitan areas in the nation. This nursing home was given an A- overall, which is very good score. Even in a city with 35 other nursing homes, this nursing home stood out. The best part of this nursing home's impressive profile is its nursing rating. We discuss nursing in the next section
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Virgil Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Los Angeles senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a first rate facility overall, this facility also excelled in the category of nursing, where it received an A+. Few nursing homes fared better in this area. In calculating a facility's nursing grade, we weigh the amount of time nurses are caring for patients as well as the skill levels of those nurses. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also fared very well in the category of short-term care, where we gave it a score of A-. Not many nursing homes received a better grade in this category. In determining these short-term care grades, we analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The objective is to formulate a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Virgil Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility was given an impressive long-term care grade as well. We gave it one of our higher grades in that category with a score of B+. Facilities that receive this type of grade in this category tend to provide consistent around the clock care to make sure patients are well cared for. After looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 99.612404 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is significantly higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
In the last area we looked at, we found that this nursing home received a solid inspection report this year as well, with few major dings from government inspectors. As a result, it earned a decent grade in our inspection category with a B. This nursing home really didn't have any major weak links. Our inspection ratings account for several factors included in a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better grades in this area generally have very few of these severe deficiencies. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. We should note that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in the industry.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Virgil Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Virgil Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Virgil Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Falls leading to injury are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Virgil Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Virgil Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term patients that were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically indicated. However, some facilities may need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of residents with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Virgil Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Virgil Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 5.83% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are showing depressive symptoms. Higher rates of depression may imply a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Virgil Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 95.65% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Virgil Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of the decline of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Virgil Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Virgil Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Virgil Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Virgil Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Scores for Los Angeles, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Los Angeles, California has 34 other nursing homes
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.54 miles away1300 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles California 90027Proprietary(213) 413-3000
- Children's Hosp of Los AngelesChildrens 0.65 miles away4650 Sunset Blvd, Ms 108 Los Angeles California 90027Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 669-2164
- Saint Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.98 miles away2131 W 3rd St Los Angeles California 90057Voluntary non-profit - Church(213) 484-7111
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 2.26 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.1 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- California Hospital Medical Center LaAcute Care Hospitals 3.84 miles away1401 South Grand Avenue Los Angeles California 90015Voluntary non-profit - Other(213) 748-2411
- Lac+Usc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.88 miles away1200 N State St, Room c2k100 Los Angeles California 90033Government - Local(323) 226-2800
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.18 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- Davita-Hollywood Dialysis Center0.63 miles away5108 Sunset Blvd. Los Angeles California 90027CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (323) 913-4010
- Davita-Silver Lake Dialysis1.14 miles away2723 W. Temple St Los Angeles California 90026CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (213) 480-3039
- u.s. Renal Care Downtown Los Angeles Dialysis1.78 miles away2511 W 3rd Street, Suite 120 Los Angeles California 90057Dialysis Stations: 24 (213) 487-7730
- St. Vincent Dialysis Center, Inc.1.95 miles away201 S. Alvarado Street, Suite 220 Los Angeles California 90057Dialysis Stations: 17 (213) 484-7425
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Mid-Wilshire2.13 miles away3545 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 100-103 Los Angeles California 90010CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (213) 382-8864
- Childrens Hospital of Los Angeles2.3 miles awayDivision of Nephrology (Dialysis) 4650 Sunset Blvd., Box 40 Los Angeles California 90027Dialysis Stations: 10 (323) 361-4788
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Sunset2.3 miles awayDialysis Unit 4700 Sunset Blvd., 2nd Floor Los Angeles California 90027CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (323) 783-5580
- u.s. Renal Care Gala Dialysis2.61 miles away1666 W. Third Street Los Angeles California 90017CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (213) 989-0247