Village Shalom is an average-sized non-profit facility located in Leawood, Kansas. This nursing home received an overall grade of B+, which is a well above average grade. In fact, we ranked this facility in the top third of all facilities in the United States. The best part of this nursing home's impressive report card was its long-term care grade. We discuss long-term care in the next paragraph
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
5500 West 123rd St,
Leawood KS 66209
73.81% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Lymphedema Care
- Aquatic Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Kansas Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Leawood, Kansas Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this facility also received an A+ long-term care grade. If you are looking for anything other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each facility's long-term care grades. After considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 57.988167 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which happens to be slightly lower than we expected but still a reasonably acceptable percentage. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we had hoped, we were pleased to find nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
This facility received high grades in the area of nursing as well. In fact, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A-. Our nursing grade is primarily based on the facility's nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Village Shalom?
This nursing home also received favorable inspections in recent years. We awarded them one of our better scores in that category, with a grade of B. Inspection ratings are tied to many pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that excel in this area have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This particular nursing home received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed was short-term care. In this area, we gave this facility an acceptable grade of B-. This ended up being this facility's weakest category. In calculating our short-term care grades, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The objective is to devise a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the number of residents that ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 4.8 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was actually well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Village Shalom Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Village Shalom, 6.5% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Village Shalom, 5% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . Major falls which result in injury are often caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Village Shalom, 3.56% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Village Shalom, 18.09% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Village Shalom, 22% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients that are given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Village Shalom, 5.66% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents demonstrating symptoms of depression. Increased levels of depression may be an indicator worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Village Shalom, 91.03% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Village Shalom, 16.97% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and taking a bath. Many would argue that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Village Shalom, 17% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who maintained mobility. Many argue that the ability to move around is vital to patients physical and mental health.
In Village Shalom, 1.79 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Village Shalom, 17 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Village Shalom, 12.31 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Village Shalom, 75.24% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of independence with activities of daily living often correlates with better rehabilitation.
- Menorah Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.47 miles away5721 West 119th Street Leawood Kansas 66209Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 498-6773
- Saint Luke's South HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.94 miles away12300 Metcalf Avenue Overland Park Kansas 66213Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 317-7904
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.12 miles away1000 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114Proprietary(816) 942-4400
- Overland Park Reg Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 4.5 miles away10500 Quivira Road Lenexa Kansas 66215Proprietary(913) 541-5000
- Adventhealth Shawnee MissionAcute Care Hospitals 6.54 miles away9100 W 74th Street Overland Park Kansas 66204Voluntary non-profit - Church(913) 676-2152
- Research Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.56 miles away2316 E Meyer Blvd Kansas City Missouri 64132Proprietary(816) 276-4000
- Olathe Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10 miles away20333 West 151st Street Olathe Kansas 66061Voluntary non-profit - Private(913) 791-4200
- St Lukes Hospital of Kansas CityAcute Care Hospitals 10.21 miles away4401 Wornall Road Kansas City Missouri 64111Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 932-2000
- Nall Dialysis0.14 miles away10787 Nall Ave #130 Leawood Kansas 66211Dialysis Stations: 15 (913) 649-2671
- Bio-Medical Applications of Leawood0.83 miles away6751 W 119th St Leawood Kansas 66209Dialysis Stations: 18 (913) 491-6341
- Timberlake Dialysis3.35 miles away12110 Holmes Rd Kansas City Missouri 64145Dialysis Stations: 12 (816) 942-3827
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - State Line Dialysis3.37 miles away621 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114Dialysis Stations: 8 (816) 942-3650
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - Saint Joseph3.48 miles away650 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (816) 941-0595
- Davita Overland Park Dialysis4.44 miles away12201 W 110th St Overland Park Kansas 66210Dialysis Stations: 16 (913) 451-5984
- Concerto Kansas, LLC5.37 miles away6740 W 121st St Suite 100 Leawood Kansas 66209Dialysis Stations: 1 (913) 283-8063
- Davita Nottingham Dialysis5.47 miles away14010 W 134th Pl Olathe Kansas 66062Dialysis Stations: 12 (913) 764-0358