Villa St Joseph is located in Cleveland, Ohio. This city is one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country with has a population of 769,341 people. Sporting an overall score of B+, this facility wound up being decidedly better than the vast majority of the nursing homes in Cleveland. This facility truly has plenty of good features. The best aspect of this nursing home's impressive report card is its inspection grade. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Villa St Joseph
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Cleveland senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Ohio Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall score, we gave this place an A+ for our inspection category. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection ratings. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some of these are relatively minor. Although this place had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor made us feel better about this inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home was given high marks in the area of short-term care as well. In fact, we gave it one of our strongest scores in that area with a score of A. In the category of short-term care, we endeavor to qualify measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We assess the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.2 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Villa St Joseph?
This facility is also strong in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B. It outperformed most nursing homes in this category. Our nursing category analyzes many components, many of which are associated with levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we looked at was long-term care, which was this nursing home's weakest category. We awarded this nursing home a D in that category. Nevertheless, you should not judge this nursing home based solely on a single bad category, as it had a few excellent grades in other areas. In a long-term care environment, the primary objective is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 99.01961 percent of its residents, which is better than the vast majority of nursing homes. Surprisingly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility had fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Sadly, some of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Villa St Joseph Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Villa St Joseph, 10.66% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Villa St Joseph, 8.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Villa St Joseph, 1% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely caused by nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Closer supervision reduces the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Villa St Joseph, 7.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Villa St Joseph, 15.82% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are generally prescribed to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Villa St Joseph, 17.99% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients showing symptoms of depression. Many argue that this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Villa St Joseph, 97.95% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Villa St Joseph, 13.48% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of deterioration of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Villa St Joseph, 9.78% of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Villa St Joseph, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Villa St Joseph, 9.78% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Villa St Joseph, 13.61% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Villa St Joseph, 74.91% of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Cleveland, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Cleveland, Ohio has 24 other nursing homes
- Marymount HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.19 miles away12300 Mccracken Road Cleveland Ohio 44125Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 581-0500
- University Hospitals Ahuja Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.67 miles away3999 Richmond Road Beachwood Ohio 44122Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 593-5510
- Metrohealth SystemAcute Care Hospitals 5.93 miles away2500 Metrohealth Drive Cleveland Ohio 44109Voluntary non-profit - Other(216) 778-7089
- Cleveland ClinicAcute Care Hospitals 5.93 miles away9500 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44195Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 445-8400
- Uh Cleveland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.1 miles away11100 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44106Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 844-1000
- Rainbow Babies and Childrens HospitalChildrens 6.1 miles away11100 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44106Voluntary non-profit - Other(216) 844-1000
- St Vincent Charity Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.56 miles away2351 East 22nd Street Cleveland Ohio 44115Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 861-6200
- Lutheran HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.25 miles away1730 West 25th Street Cleveland Ohio 44113Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 696-4300
- Cleveland Home Dialysis0.99 miles away9729 Granger Road Cleveland Ohio 44125Dialysis Stations: 4 (216) 438-7325
- Nephrology Associates of Cleveland, Ltd.1.2 miles away5595 Transportation Blvd., Suite 110 Cleveland Ohio 44125CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (216) 581-0801
- Davita Rockside Dialysis3.63 miles away4801 Acorn Drive Independence Ohio 44131Dialysis Stations: 14 (216) 525-0990
- Nephrology Associates of Cleveland, Ltd.4.04 miles away18720 Chagrin Blvd Beachwood Ohio 44122CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 46 (216) 295-7000
- Cleveland Clinic Childrens Hosp for Rehabilitation4.42 miles away2801 Martin Luther King Jr Dr Cleveland Ohio 44104Dialysis Stations: 8 (216) 444-6123
- Davita - Shaker Square Dialysis4.44 miles away12800 Shaker Blvd, Ste. 1 Cleveland Ohio 44120CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (216) 491-4867
- Fkc-Ohio Renal Care Group Southpointe4.93 miles away4200 Warrensville Center Road, Suite 100 Beachwood Ohio 44122Dialysis Stations: 21 (216) 368-0004
- Nephrology Associates of Cleveland, Ltd.5.03 miles away4877 Galaxy Parkway Suite A Cleveland Ohio 44128CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (216) 378-5050