Villa St Francis Catholic Care Center is a nursing home located in Olathe, Kansas, a city with a total of 130,216 people. Sporting an overall score of B+, this nursing home should work for most prospective residents. Remarkably, the nursing homes in Olathe received high scores across the board, making this one of the better places in Kansas to find a nursing home. The best part of this facility's impressive profile was its inspection rating. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section
Villa St Francis Catholic Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to earning a strong overall rating, this facility fared even better in our inspections category which is based on the nursing home's recent government inspections. We awarded it an A for that area, which is one of our best scores. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing our inspection ratings. One critical factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies can be quite minor. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
This nursing home also received a strong nursing score. In fact, we awarded it an above average grade of B+ in this area. Our nursing score is largely tied to a facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Villa St Francis Catholic Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was awarded a favorable long-term care score. In fact, we awarded it an above average score of B+ in this category. Nursing homes that receive this kind of score in this category typically provide consistent around the clock care to ensure patients are well cared for. One of the criteria we considered on top of nursing hours was vaccinations. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 99.81618 percent of its residents. This is a reliable method to minimize negative health outcomes for the elderly population. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed is this facility's weakest area. Nevertheless, even in its weakest link we still gave it an acceptable grade of C for our short-term care category. In forming our short-term care ratings, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The purpose is to create a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last datapoint we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents that were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 4.5 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Villa St Francis Catholic Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Villa St Francis Catholic Care Center, 7.05% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Villa St Francis Catholic Care Center, 5.14% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term residents who had a fall which resulted in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Villa St Francis Catholic Care Center, 3.56% of Patients had UTIs
This metric indicates the percent of long-term patients who had a UTI. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare between nursing homes due to facilities having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Villa St Francis Catholic Care Center, 17.24% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are sometimes used for a variety of conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Villa St Francis Catholic Care Center, 22.38% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term residents who are given antianxiety medication. These medications are given to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Villa St Francis Catholic Care Center, 5.98% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Some experts argue this is a reliable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Villa St Francis Catholic Care Center, 91.04% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Villa St Francis Catholic Care Center, 16.84% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Villa St Francis Catholic Care Center, 19.61% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that were able to retain mobility. Many argue that the ability to move around is important for patients mental and physical well-being.
In Villa St Francis Catholic Care Center, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Villa St Francis Catholic Care Center, 19.61 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Villa St Francis Catholic Care Center, 10.57 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Villa St Francis Catholic Care Center, 74.57% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with activities of daily living typically correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Olathe, KS
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Olathe, Kansas has 8 other nursing homes
- Olathe Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.94 miles away20333 West 151st Street Olathe Kansas 66061Voluntary non-profit - Private(913) 791-4200
- Overland Park Reg Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 4.02 miles away10500 Quivira Road Lenexa Kansas 66215Proprietary(913) 541-5000
- Saint Luke's South HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.14 miles away12300 Metcalf Avenue Overland Park Kansas 66213Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 317-7904
- Menorah Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.06 miles away5721 West 119th Street Leawood Kansas 66209Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 498-6773
- Adventhealth Shawnee MissionAcute Care Hospitals 8.1 miles away9100 W 74th Street Overland Park Kansas 66204Voluntary non-profit - Church(913) 676-2152
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.77 miles away1000 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114Proprietary(816) 942-4400
- Research Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.07 miles away2316 E Meyer Blvd Kansas City Missouri 64132Proprietary(816) 276-4000
- University of Kansas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.18 miles away4000 Cambridge Street Kansas City Kansas 66160Government - Hospital District or Authority(913) 588-7332
- Davita Nottingham Dialysis2.11 miles away14010 W 134th Pl Olathe Kansas 66062Dialysis Stations: 12 (913) 764-0358
- Davita Overland Park Dialysis3.54 miles away12201 W 110th St Overland Park Kansas 66210Dialysis Stations: 16 (913) 451-5984
- Olathe Dialysis3.56 miles away732 W Frontier Lane Olathe Kansas 66061CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (913) 390-4937
- Fkc - Lenexa4.13 miles away13201 W 98th St Lenexa Kansas 66215Dialysis Stations: 13 (913) 492-4571
- Lenexa Dialysis6.23 miles away8630 Halsey Lenexa Kansas 66215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (913) 894-1100
- Bio-Medical Applications of Leawood6.44 miles away6751 W 119th St Leawood Kansas 66209Dialysis Stations: 18 (913) 491-6341
- Johnson County Dialysis6.52 miles away10453 W 84th Terrace Overland Park Kansas 66214CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (913) 492-2044
- Nall Dialysis7.14 miles away10787 Nall Ave #130 Leawood Kansas 66211Dialysis Stations: 15 (913) 649-2671