Villa Serena Healthcare Center is in Long Beach, California. This city is one of the largest metropolitan areas in the nation with has a total of 471,952 people. We gave this facility a quality overall score of B. As a matter of fact, this nursing home wound up being a bit better than most of the nursing homes in Long Beach. Even in a city with 26 nursing homes, this facility should be a respectable selection. This place was better in some categories than others, but it didn't have any weak links in any of the major areas discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Villa Serena Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its favorable overall score, we awarded this place an A for the area of inspections. Our inspection ratings are based on many datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that score well in this area tend to have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. While this facility had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G through L. This tells you that the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. We should point out that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
Contributing to its profile, this nursing home also earned a grade of B+ for its long-term care rating. This is an above average score in this category. Long-term care scores in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. One of the factors we considered after nursing hours is vaccines. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its residents. Vaccination is a reliable method to avoid unnecessary deaths and hospitalizations for the elderly population. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Villa Serena Healthcare Center?
This nursing home also received a strong nursing score. In fact, we awarded it an above average grade of B+ in this area. Our nursing score includes several subcategories, but the primary consideration is the level of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
Our last category is short-term care, where we awarded this nursing home a C in that category. In determining our short-term care ratings, we assess the nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other types of therapists. This category is typically a fair measure of a facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that this nursing home provided registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. The final measure we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients who returned home from the facility. We found that just 4.4 percent of this facility's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Villa Serena Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Villa Serena Healthcare Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who developed new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Villa Serena Healthcare Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients which have suffered falls which resulted in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Villa Serena Healthcare Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents which sustained UTI's. UTI's may be a sign of poor nursing care. However, this datapoint may be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Villa Serena Healthcare Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used for a variety of medical conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Villa Serena Healthcare Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents who were administered antianxiety medication. These drugs are generally prescribed to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Villa Serena Healthcare Center, 4.33% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Some believe that this is a measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Villa Serena Healthcare Center, 95.72% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Villa Serena Healthcare Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of erosion of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Villa Serena Healthcare Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Villa Serena Healthcare Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is key to preserving the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Villa Serena Healthcare Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Villa Serena Healthcare Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Villa Serena Healthcare Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Long Beach, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Long Beach, California has 25 other nursing homes
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.25 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.14 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.99 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.84 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.47 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Del Amo HospitalPsychiatric 9.54 miles away23700 Camino Del Sol Torrance California 90505Proprietary(310) 530-1151
- Torrance Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.58 miles away3330 Lomita Blvd Torrance California 90509Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 325-9110
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.38 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- u.s. Renal Care Long Beach Dialysis0.2 miles away1045 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 108 Long Beach California 90813CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 435-3637
- Davita-Long Beach Harbor (Ucla) Dialysis Center0.87 miles away1075 E. Pacific Coast Highway Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (562) 599-1511
- Fmc-Long Beach1.09 miles away440 W. Ocean Blvd. Long Beach California 90802CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (562) 432-4444
- Long Beach Quest Dialysis Center2.53 miles away3140 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 988-8866
- Davita-El Dorado Dialysis2.82 miles away2977 Redondo Avenue Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 988-3418
- u.s. Renal Care West Coast Dialysis2.93 miles away3780 Kilroy Airport Way, Suite 110 Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 989-3010
- Davita-Bixby Knolls Dialysis4.07 miles away3744 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 424-1403
- Davita-United Dialysis Center4.07 miles away3111 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (562) 426-5155