Located in Sun Valley, California, Villa Scalabrini Special Care is one of a mere two facilities there. With an overall grade of C, this is likely a middle of the road facility. You could certainly do worse than this facility. We were also pleased to find that this facility was consistent in each of our categories. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Villa Scalabrini Special Care
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
10631 Vinedale Street,
Sun Valley CA 91352
82.41% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this nursing home received a decent overall grade is its excellent government inspections in recent years. We awarded them one of our better grades in that area, with an A. This is a notably better score than the place's overall grade, which was decent but not in the elite range. Perhaps the most significant factor we consider in calculating our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with better grades in this category typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. A few minor deficiencies shouldn't lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
This nursing home performed well in the area of nursing. In fact, we gave it an B- for that category, which is one of our best grades. We scrutinized the levels of nurses employed by the nursing home, as well as the number of hours those nurses worked with patients, in determining our score in this category. This place provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is a lower figure than we were hoping for. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures. While this nursing home got dinged a bit for nursing hours, it actually excelled in a few of these quality metrics. With fewer than five percent of its patients experiencing pressure ulcers, it fared well in this metric. This is generally an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of turning a resident more frequently.
Does this page answer your questions about Villa Scalabrini Special Care?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's next most favorable category was short-term care. In that area, we gave this facility a C. In calculating our short-term care scores, we assess the facility's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other types of therapists. This category is considered to be a meaningful assessment of a facility's rehabilitation. Unfortunately, we found that this place provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. The final metric we considered in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is below average.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we looked at is long-term care. We gave this facility a grade of C in that area. In the area of long-term care, we weigh the amount of care provided by a facility, rather than more healthcare-oriented services. Once we concluded our assessment of the amount of nursing care, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination statistics. We were optimistic to discover that this facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Villa Scalabrini Special Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Villa Scalabrini Special Care, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Villa Scalabrini Special Care, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This measures the percentage of long-term care residents who have experienced falls resulting in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Villa Scalabrini Special Care, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that had urinary tract infections. UTI's may be a sign of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint could also be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Villa Scalabrini Special Care, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Villa Scalabrini Special Care, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Villa Scalabrini Special Care, 4.64% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Villa Scalabrini Special Care, 95.44% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Villa Scalabrini Special Care, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and taking a bath. Many in the industry argue that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Villa Scalabrini Special Care, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that were able to retain mobility. Many would argue that the ability to move around is critical to patients health.
In Villa Scalabrini Special Care, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Villa Scalabrini Special Care, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Villa Scalabrini Special Care, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Villa Scalabrini Special Care, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Pacifica Hospital of the ValleyAcute Care Hospitals 2.08 miles away9449 San Fernando Rd Sun Valley California 91352Proprietary(818) 767-3310
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 5.35 miles away501 South Buena Vista Street Burbank California 91505Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 843-5111
- Providence Holy Cross Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.59 miles away15031 Rinaldi St Mission Hills California 91346Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 365-8051
- Sherman Oaks HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.75 miles away4929 Van Nuys Blvd Sherman Oaks California 91403Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 981-7111
- Lac/Olive View-Ucla Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.3 miles away14445 Olive View Drive Sylmar California 91342Voluntary non-profit - Other(818) 364-1555
- Usc Verdugo Hills HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.57 miles away1812 Verdugo Blvd Glendale California 91209Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 790-7100
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.31 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 9.46 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Laurel Canyon Dialysis, LLC2.3 miles away8987 Laurel Canyon Blvd. Sun Valley California 91352CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (818) 771-9950
- Davita-North Hollywood Dialysis3.44 miles away12126 Victory Blvd. North Hollywood California 91606CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (818) 980-5070
- Davita-Burbank Dialysis3.74 miles away1211 N. San Fernando Blvd. Burbank California 91504CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 842-5576
- u.s. Renal Care Panorama City Dialysis4.94 miles away14600 Roscoe Blvd. Panorama City California 91402CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (818) 901-9822
- u.s. Renal Care Van Nuys Dialysis5.03 miles away14624 Sherman Way, Suite 106 Van Nuys California 91405CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (818) 994-2333
- Davita Van Nuys Dialysis5.16 miles away14434 Sherman Way Van Nuys California 91405Dialysis Stations: 37 (818) 787-8225
- Fmc-Burbank5.3 miles away2031 Alameda Avenue, Suite 202 Burbank California 91506CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (818) 845-3830
- Davita-Valley Dialysis Center5.61 miles away6840 Sepulveda Blvd, Suite 101 Van Nuys California 91405CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (818) 779-1450