Villa Pomerado D/P Snf is a large non-profit facility located in Poway, California. This facility is among the most elite facilities we looked at. A score in this range requires top-notch marks across the board. You simply can not do any better than this nursing home. If you scroll down, you can see this nursing home's category grades, which appear to be equally impressive as its overall grade.
Villa Pomerado D/P Snf
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
15615 Pomerado Rd,
Poway CA 92064
76.12% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with a strong overall score, we awarded this place an A+ for our inspections rating. Our inspection scores are tied to many pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that excel in this area typically have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Although this place had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
This facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Our nursing rating is mostly based on a facility's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided 6.1 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis, which is among the highest figures in the country. A significant portion of those hours were provided by registered nurses, which are one of the most highly skilled levels of nurses. We are very impressed by both of these figures. In addition to providing high levels of care, this facility also excelled in the quality-based metrics we looked at. It performed as well as any nursing home in California in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Does this page answer your questions about Villa Pomerado D/P Snf?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning our third category, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for its short-term care grade. This is a very strong rating. In calculating these short-term care grades, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our goal is to create a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Remarkably, this place provides approximately 50% more hours of services from physical therapists and registered nurses than most facilities we assessed. This is a very favorable sign. Finally, we looked at the number of residents that who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. On top of excelling in the area of physical therapy staffing, we found that it fared as well as just about any facility in this area with 70.6 percent of its residents returning home.
Long-term Care Quality
In our last area, this facility also received a first-rate long-term care grade, with a grade of A-. This rounded out an elusive straight A report card. For prospective patients seeking a permanent place to live rather than skilled nursing, long-term care grades are very important. This nursing home's vaccination records weren't as favorable as its nursing hours. It administered the pneumonia vaccine to just 79.7153 percent of its residents. We would like to see some improvement in this area next year. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we like to see, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Villa Pomerado D/P Snf Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Villa Pomerado D/P Snf, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Villa Pomerado D/P Snf, 1.66% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Villa Pomerado D/P Snf, 1.19% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Villa Pomerado D/P Snf, 9.98% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Villa Pomerado D/P Snf, 13.87% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Villa Pomerado D/P Snf, 4.32% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Villa Pomerado D/P Snf, 96.21% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Villa Pomerado D/P Snf, 8.35% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Villa Pomerado D/P Snf, 14.01% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Villa Pomerado D/P Snf, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Villa Pomerado D/P Snf, 14.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Villa Pomerado D/P Snf, 9.82 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Villa Pomerado D/P Snf, 79.69% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Pomerado HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0 miles away15615 Pomerado Road Poway California 92064Government - Hospital District or Authority(858) 485-6511
- Palomar Health Downtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 9 miles away555 East Valley Parkway Escondido California 92025Government - Hospital District or Authority(760) 739-3000
- Scripps Memorial Hospital La JollaAcute Care Hospitals 12.14 miles away9888 Genesee Avenue La Jolla California 92037Physician(858) 626-4123
- Scripps Memorial Hospital - EncinitasAcute Care Hospitals 13.47 miles away354 Santa Fe Drive Encinitas California 92024Voluntary non-profit - Private(760) 753-6501
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 14.19 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Sharp Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.55 miles away7901 Frost St San Diego California 92123Voluntary non-profit - Private(858) 939-3400
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.17 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Grossmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.34 miles away5555 Grossmont Center Drive Box 58 La Mesa California 91942Government - Hospital District or Authority(619) 465-0711
- Fmc-Rancho2.29 miles away11031 via Frontera, Suite C San Diego California 92127CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (858) 385-0700
- Davita-Carmel Mountain Dialysis4.15 miles away9850 Carmel Mountain Road, a-D San Diego California 92129CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (858) 538-1083
- Home Dialysis Therapies of San Diego-North4.58 miles away10672 Wexford Street, Suite 250 San Diego California 92131Dialysis Stations: 1 (858) 549-3400
- Davita-Escondido Dialysis8.71 miles away203 E. Second Avenue Escondido California 92025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (760) 743-4401
- Davita-San Marcos Dialysis Center10 miles away2135 Montiel Road, Bldg. B San Marcos California 92069CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (760) 975-0170
- Sanderling Dialysis of Ramona10.19 miles away2102 Main Street Ramona California 92065Dialysis Stations: 12 (844) 375-7365
- Fmc-La Jolla10.31 miles away4765 Carmel Mountain Road, Suite 100 San Diego California 92130Dialysis Stations: 24 (858) 793-0058
- Davita-Encinitas Dialysis13.46 miles away332 Santa Fe Drive, Suite 100 Encinitas California 92024CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (760) 632-2323