With an address in San Rafael, California, Villa Marin is one of seven available nursing homes in the city. It looks like this nursing home is ranked among the top facilities we found. This nursing home was given one of the most impressive scores we offer. Not surprisingly, this turned out to be substantially better than many of the facilities in San Rafael. This nursing home was also given phenomenal scores in all of our categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on San Rafael senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in California Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in San Rafael, California Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
We also want to point out that this nursing home excelled in our nursing category. We awarded them an A+ in this area. We looked at the skill-level of nurses working for the nursing home, as well as the number of hours those nurses worked with residents, in computing our grade in this area. This particular nursing home provided 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as having a system of turning a resident more often.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also received an A+ for its long-term care score. Facilities that excel in long-term care tend to provide patients with better supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is far higher than most nursing homes. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Villa Marin?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning the page to our next area, this facility received an excellent short-term care grade. In fact, it received a grade of A in that area. Our short-term care grades are crucial for people seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically requires higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes a vast scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last statistic we looked at in this area is the number of patients that eventually returned home from the facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Building on its impressive profile, this facility also performed well in inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it earned one of our best grades in that category with a B+. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection ratings. One critical factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these can be quite insignificant. Sadly, this place was hit with a category L deficiency, which is not what we expected based on its inspection score. This category of deficiency means CMS uncovered a widespread deficiency placing resident safety or health in imminent danger. In spite of this major red flag, other aspects of this facility's inspection report gave us some hope.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Villa Marin Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Villa Marin, 5.56% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Villa Marin, 0% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who have suffered falls leading to severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Villa Marin, 2% of Patients had UTIs
This figure tells you the percent of long-term care residents that have experienced a urinary tract infection. While more infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it can be difficult to compare between nursing homes due to nursing homes having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Villa Marin, 14.55% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who are administered antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs aren't medically required. However, some nursing homes need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Villa Marin, 10.64% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly prescribed to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Villa Marin, 1.82% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents demonstrating signs of depression. Some experts argue this is a reliable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Villa Marin, 100% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Villa Marin, 20.45% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath. Many in the industry believe that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Villa Marin, 11.26% of Residents
This is the percent of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Villa Marin, 11.26% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Villa Marin, 76.47% of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for San Rafael, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? San Rafael, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Kaiser Foundation HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.27 miles away99 Montecillo Rd San Rafael California 94903Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 444-2000
- Marinhealth Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.87 miles away250 Bon Air Road, PO Box 8010 Greenbrae California 94904Government - Local(415) 925-7900
- Novato Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.63 miles away180 Rowland Way Novato California 94945Voluntary non-profit - Other(415) 209-1300
- Chinese HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.45 miles away845 Jackson St San Francisco California 94133Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 982-2400
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San FranciscoAcute Care Hospitals 16.49 miles away2425 Geary Blvd San Francisco California 94115Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 833-2646
- Saint Francis Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.63 miles away900 Hyde St San Francisco California 94109Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 353-6000
- California Pacific Medical Center- Van Ness CampusAcute Care Hospitals 16.74 miles away1101 Van Ness Avenue San Francisco California 94109Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 600-6000
- St Mary's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.87 miles away450 Stanyan St San Francisco California 94117Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 668-1000
- Northgate Dialysis Center0.38 miles away650 Las Gallinas Road San Rafael California 94903CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (415) 444-0376
- San Rafael Dialysis2.34 miles away1415 3rd Street San Rafael California 94901Dialysis Stations: 24 (415) 453-4437
- Satellite Dialysis Greenbrae4.27 miles away565 Sir Francis Drake Blvd. Greenbrae California 94904CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (415) 924-8622
- San Pablo Dialysis Center11.73 miles away14020 San Pablo Avenue San Pablo California 94806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (510) 234-0835
- Davita Richmond Dialysis12.13 miles away4200 Macdonald Ave., Ste A Richmond California 94805CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 236-8861
- El Cerrito Dialysis Center14.18 miles away10690 San Pablo Avenue El Cerrito California 94530CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (510) 528-9590
- Davita El Sobrante15.12 miles away3380 San Pablo Dam Rd Ste. C-D El Sobrante California 94803CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (510) 262-9230
- Pacific Dialysis16.2 miles away2351 Clay Street 4th Floor San Francisco California 94115CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (415) 440-2852