Villa Las Palmas Healthcare Center is a large nursing home located in El Cajon, California. This proved to be an A rated facility, which is one of the highest grades that we offer. Based on the data we reviewed, you can't go wrong here. One of the major highlights of this nursing home's remarkable profile is its short-term care rating. short-term care grades are discussed in the next section.
Villa Las Palmas Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
To go along with its strong overall score, we gave this nursing home a grade of A for short-term care. Our short-term care ratings are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of skilled nursing services. This includes a broad spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, in addition to other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last statistic we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that 6.6 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
In addition, this facility also received a nearly flawless inspection report. As a result, it earned one of our best grades in that category with an A. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining our inspection scores. One of those factors is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being quite insignificant. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are rare in this industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Villa Las Palmas Healthcare Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was strong in the area of long-term care, where we gave it a score of A-. Only a select group of nursing homes received a better grade in this area. Facilities that do well in this category typically provide patients with closer supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. One of the factors we considered on top of nursing hours was vaccines. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 99.72752 percent of its residents. This is a reliable method to avoid negative health outcomes for the nursing home population. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
In our final area, we awarded this facility an A for our nursing rating. This wrapped up an elite profile. There are many factors within this grade. Many of these criteria relate to levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of moving residents at least once a day.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Villa Las Palmas Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Villa Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Villa Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients which sustained a fall leading to serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Villa Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of long-term residents that have had a urinary tract infection. While more infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare between facilities due to reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Villa Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Villa Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are given to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Villa Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 4.64% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Villa Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 95.44% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Villa Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and eating. Some experts argue that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Villa Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that retained mobility levels.
In Villa Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is critical to preserving the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Villa Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Villa Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Villa Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for El Cajon, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? El Cajon, California has 11 other nursing homes
- Grossmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.6 miles away5555 Grossmont Center Drive Box 58 La Mesa California 91942Government - Hospital District or Authority(619) 465-0711
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.34 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 8.6 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Paradise Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.47 miles away2400 East 4th St National City California 91950Proprietary(619) 470-4321
- Sharp Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.02 miles away7901 Frost St San Diego California 92123Voluntary non-profit - Private(858) 939-3400
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 12.04 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Sharp Chula Vista Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.5 miles away751 Medical Center Court Chula Vista California 91911Proprietary(619) 502-5800
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.6 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Fmc-Balboa East County1.12 miles away570 N. Second Street El Cajon California 92021CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 588-7500
- Fmc-Rai-Fletcher Parkway-El Cajon1.94 miles away858 Fletcher Parkway El Cajon California 92020CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (619) 442-4122
- Fmc-La Mesa Dialysis Center2.97 miles away5995 Severin Drive La Mesa California 91942CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 462-9992
- Davita-College Dialysis6.64 miles away6535 University Avenue San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 287-8796
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of College6.9 miles away5961 University Avenue Suite 317 San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (619) 286-0821
- Fmc-Rai-Mission Gorge San Diego8.35 miles away7007 Mission Gorge Road, 1st Floor San Diego California 92120CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (619) 229-1070
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Paradise8.82 miles away6919 Paradise Valley Road San Diego California 92139CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 475-2872
- Fmc-East Lakes9.23 miles away2391 Boswell Road Chula Vista California 91914CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (619) 397-0939