Viera Del Mar Health and Rehabilitation Center is a senior living facility located in Melbourne, Florida. This city has a total of 139,650 people. We awarded this nursing home an overall grade of B+. A grade of this caliber requires strong marks in most areas. This ended up being one of the top five nursing homes in Melbourne. The best part of this nursing home's strong report card was its inspection rating. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section
Viera Del Mar Health and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Best Nursing Home in Melbourne, Florida Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall score, we gave this nursing home an A- for the area of inspections. These inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Unfortunately, we weren't able to find deficiency data for this nursing home. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Among this nursing home's other accomplishments is its superb short-term care grade. We awarded them one of our more impressive grades in that area, with a score of A-. In forming our short-term care scores, we analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our goal is to devise a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. We weren't able to track down registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.9 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Viera Del Mar Health and Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The third category we graded is long-term care. This nursing home was given an impressive long-term care grade, with a grade of B+ in the category. Facilities that receive this type of grade in long-term care tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure residents are kept in good health. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 96.08696 percent of its patients, which is higher than the majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
The last category we assessed was nursing. We gave this facility a decent score in that category, with a grade of B-. Although this wasn't as strong as some of its other grades, it is still not the end of the world. The nursing score consists of a handful of factors, however, the main one is the number of nurse hours spent with patients. This facility provided just 0.5 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This figure is significantly below average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility actually excelled in some of the quality measures we looked at. It scored well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be measures of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is just as important as the quantity of hours of care offered.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Viera Del Mar Health and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Viera Del Mar Health and Rehabilitation Center, 9.08% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can reduce the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Viera Del Mar Health and Rehabilitation Center, 2.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision. More supervision can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Viera Del Mar Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often the result of worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic may be misleading for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Viera Del Mar Health and Rehabilitation Center, 10.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs may be used for treating a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Viera Del Mar Health and Rehabilitation Center, 21.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Viera Del Mar Health and Rehabilitation Center, 2.33% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reliable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Viera Del Mar Health and Rehabilitation Center, 94.94% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Viera Del Mar Health and Rehabilitation Center, 13.07% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Viera Del Mar Health and Rehabilitation Center, 16.78% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that remained mobile levels.
In Viera Del Mar Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Viera Del Mar Health and Rehabilitation Center, 16.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Viera Del Mar Health and Rehabilitation Center, 9.16 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Viera Del Mar Health and Rehabilitation Center, 78.49% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Melbourne, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Melbourne, Florida has 9 other nursing homes
- Viera HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.83 miles away8745 N Wickham Rd Melbourne Florida 32940Voluntary non-profit - Private(321) 434-9000
- Steward Rockledge HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.55 miles away110 Longwood Ave Rockledge Florida 32955Proprietary(321) 637-2603
- Steward Melbourne HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.22 miles away250 North Wickham Road Melbourne Florida 32935Proprietary(321) 752-1200
- Cape Canaveral HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.71 miles away701 W Cocoa Beach Causeway Cocoa Beach Florida 32932Voluntary non-profit - Private(321) 799-7111
- Holmes Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.53 miles away1350 S Hickory St Melbourne Florida 32901Voluntary non-profit - Private(321) 434-7000
- Palm Bay HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.31 miles away1425 Malabar Rd, Ne Palm Bay Florida 32907Proprietary(321) 434-8000
- Dsi - Viera Dialysis1.28 miles away8041 Spyglass Hill Rd Suite 101 Melbourne Florida 32940Dialysis Stations: 18 (321) 254-4553
- Fmc - Space Coast5.05 miles away577 Barnes Blvd #100 Rockledge Florida 32955Dialysis Stations: 17 (321) 636-9067
- North Melbourne Dialysis Inc6.82 miles away14 Suntree Place Suite 102 Melbourne Florida 32940Dialysis Stations: 10 (321) 253-9033
- Fmc - Brevard Home Therapies7 miles away2200 W Eau Gallie Blvd #202a Melbourne Florida 32935Dialysis Stations: 4 (321) 259-1181
- Rai-S Courtenay-Merritt Island7.19 miles away245 S Courtenay Pkwy Bldg A Merritt Island Florida 32952CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (321) 452-0020
- Melbourne Kidney Center10.44 miles away1400 S Apollo Blvd Melbourne Florida 32901CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (321) 724-0461
- Melbourne Dialysis11.07 miles away2235 South Babcock St Melbourne Florida 32901Dialysis Stations: 16 (321) 956-6252
- Renal Care Group - Brevard14.11 miles away1355 Palm Bay Rd Palm Bay Florida 32905Dialysis Stations: 20 (321) 768-9801