Victoria Care Center is a small nursing home located in Baldwin Park, California. This nursing home is a middle of the road facility, with an overall grade of C. Based on our analysis, this place ought to meet the needs of many people. This place was stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any weak links in any of the four major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Victoria Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Baldwin Park senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Baldwin Park, California Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
This facility earned favorable marks in long-term care this year. We gave them a solid grade in that area, with a B+. This turned out to be the facility's top grade and helped its profile quite a bit. When nursing homes receive this type of score in long-term care it is typically a good sign for patient care and suggests that the facility is well-staffed with nurses and aids. After assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents healthy. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Surprisingly, this facility actually received a good score in the area of inspections as well. In fact, we awarded it a grade of B- for that category, which is one of our better scores. We believe that one of the most important factors in assessing an inspection report is deficiencies. In this regard, we especially look at the severity of those deficiencies. While this place had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This tells you CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies shouldn't stop you from considering a nursing home.
Does this page answer your questions about Victoria Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The next highest area we awarded this nursing home in any area came in the category of short-term care, where we gave it a B-. Our short-term care grade is often used to grade a facility's rehabilitation services To offer high-end rehabilitation services, facilities generally must feature better levels of highly skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly trained professionals. Unfortunately, we found that this place provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. The last measure we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Our final area is nursing, where we awarded this facility a grade of B- in this area. In calculating our nursing grades, we weigh both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the training levels of the nurses. This place averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis, which is well below average. Finally, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this facility performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is typically a reliable indicator that a place has sufficient quality controls in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Victoria Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Victoria Care Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Victoria Care Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are often linked to poor nursing care. Closer supervision can reduce the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Victoria Care Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often caused by facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Additional nurse staffing can minimize the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Victoria Care Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who are administered antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs are not medically required. However, some nursing homes may need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Victoria Care Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Victoria Care Center, 5.83% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Victoria Care Center, 95.65% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Victoria Care Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Victoria Care Center, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Victoria Care Center, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Victoria Care Center, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Victoria Care Center, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Victoria Care Center, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Emanate Health Inter-Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.54 miles away210 W San Bernardino Road Covina California 91723Proprietary(626) 814-2468
- Glendora Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.12 miles away150 West Route 66 Glendora California 91740Proprietary(626) 335-0231
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 6.49 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- San Dimas Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.94 miles away1350 W Covina Blvd San Dimas California 91773Proprietary(909) 599-6811
- San Gabriel Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.87 miles away438 W Las Tunas Drive San Gabriel California 91776Proprietary(626) 289-5454
- Whittier Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.18 miles away9080 Colima Rd Whittier California 90605Proprietary(562) 945-3561
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 9.23 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.31 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Advanced Dialysis Center0.62 miles away3932 Downing Avenue Baldwin Park California 91706Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 856-3333
- Davita-Covina Dialysis Center0.88 miles away1547 W. Garvey Avenue North West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (626) 960-9404
- Fmc-West Covina Kidney Center0.95 miles away1540 W. Covina Parkway West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (626) 337-8007
- Queens Dialysis Unit, Inc.1.17 miles away1135 S. Sunset Avenue, Suite 103 West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 337-4245
- Fmc-Irwindale2.27 miles away12711 Ramona Blvd., Suite 111 Baldwin Park California 91706CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (626) 856-3944
- La Puente Dialysis Center, Inc.2.63 miles away14557 Temple Avenue La Puente California 91744CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 917-1719
- Citrus Dialysis Center3.58 miles away315 N. Third Avenue, Suite 104 Covina California 91723CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (626) 331-0133
- Mohan Dialysis Center of Covina3.61 miles away158 W. College Street Covina California 91723CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 859-2522