Vi at Palo Alto is a small facility in Palo Alto, California. This is an A+ rated facility, which is our absolute highest rating. In fact, this facility has the prestigious distinction of being one of the 25 best facilities in California. Headlining this facility's exemplary profile is its short-term care rating, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Vi at Palo Alto
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
600 Sand Hill Road,
Palo Alto CA 94304
78.86% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Best Nursing Home in California Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Palo Alto, California Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in California Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Palo Alto, California Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in California Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Palo Alto, California Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it received an A+ short-term care grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. In the area of short-term care, we strive to evaluate measures of a facility's rehabilitation services. We analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 7.1 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
In addition, this facility received high marks in the area of nursing. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A+. Our nursing score is largely associated with a facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Vi at Palo Alto?
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we assessed was long-term care. Adding to its first-rate profile, this facility also excelled in that category. In fact, we gave it a grade of of A for the category. Nursing homes that receive this kind of grade in this category typically provide consistent around the clock care to make sure patients are kept in good health. Once we assessed the quantity of nursing care, we then looked at the facility's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia is often a deadly condition for nursing home patients so we prefer when a nursing home doesn't take any chances. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Adding to its impressive category grades, this facility also excelled in inspections, where it earned an A. This rounded out a straight A report card for this facility. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places with better grades in this area typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This nursing home was assessed 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe. This tells you that the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies to be an immediate threat to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Vi at Palo Alto Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Vi at Palo Alto, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Vi at Palo Alto, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are routinely linked to poor nursing care. Additional nurse staffing can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Vi at Palo Alto, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of long-term residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be a sign of worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic can be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Vi at Palo Alto, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term stay patients who are given antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such medications aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely more on these drugs due to having more residents with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Vi at Palo Alto, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Vi at Palo Alto, 4.64% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Vi at Palo Alto, 95.44% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Vi at Palo Alto, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Vi at Palo Alto, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that were able to retain mobility. Some believe that mobility is critical to residents' health.
In Vi at Palo Alto, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Vi at Palo Alto, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Vi at Palo Alto, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Vi at Palo Alto, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Stanford Health CareAcute Care Hospitals 0.44 miles away300 Pasteur Drive Stanford California 94305Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 723-5708
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Redwood CityAcute Care Hospitals 4.45 miles away1100 Veterans Boulevard Redwood City California 94063Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 299-2000
- Sequoia HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.18 miles away170 Alameda De Las Pulgas Redwood City California 94062Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 367-5551
- El Camino HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.3 miles away2500 Grant Road Mountain View California 94040Government - Hospital District or Authority(650) 940-7000
- San Mateo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.34 miles away222 W 39th Ave San Mateo California 94403Government - Local(650) 573-2222
- Kaiser Permanente Psychiatric Health Facility-SantPsychiatric 12.01 miles away3840 Homestead Road Santa Clara California 95051Proprietary(408) 851-4850
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-Santa ClaraAcute Care Hospitals 12.32 miles away700 Lawrence Expressway Santa Clara California 95051Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 236-6400
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - FremontAcute Care Hospitals 13.22 miles away39400 Paseo Padre Pkwy Fremont California 94538Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 784-4000
- Satellite Dialysis Menlo Park3.06 miles away1040 Hamilton Court Menlo Park California 94025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (650) 384-4800
- Lucile Packard Stanford Pediatric Dialysis4.04 miles away725 Welch Road Pediatric Dialysis Rm 1229 Palo Alto California 94304Dialysis Stations: 6 (650) 498-5544
- Redwood City Dialysis Center4.44 miles away1000 Marshall Street Redwood City California 94063CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (650) 365-0129
- Satellite Dialysis Redwood City5.92 miles away1125 Industrial Rd Suite G San Carlos California 94070CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (650) 366-0789
- Satellite Dialysis Mountain View6.66 miles away247 West El Camino Real Suite 100 Mountain View California 94040CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (650) 417-6420
- Wellbound of Mountain View6.66 miles away247 West El Camino Real Suite 200 Mountain View California 94040Dialysis Stations: 4 (650) 417-6460
- Davita El Camino Dialysis7.37 miles away412 West El Camino Real Mountain View California 94043Dialysis Stations: 24 (650) 962-1903
- Satellite Dialysis Sunnyvale9.95 miles away155 North Wolfe Rd Sunnyvale California 94086CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 617-1887