Vi at Grayhawk, a Vi and Plaza Companies Community is a small facility located in Scottsdale, Arizona. This proved to be an A+ facility. Being awarded an A+ in our rating system takes superb scores across the board. In spite of Scottsdale offering 10 nursing homes to select from, this one stands out as a quality choice. Keep reading to find this place's category ratings, which are equally impressive. You just can't do much better than a straight A profile.
Vi at Grayhawk, a Vi and Plaza Companies Community
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
7501 East Thompson Peak Parkway,
Scottsdale AZ 85255
78.61% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. These inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this facility had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also received an A+ for its long-term care grade. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it generally means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. One of the criteria we considered in addition to this nursing home's above average nursing hours is vaccinations. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccines are a great way to avoid unnecessary deaths for the elderly. The last datapoint we looked at was its hospitalization rate. We found that this place had 3.48 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. While this admittedly wasn't as favorable as most of its other scores in this area, this figure can be skewed for some facilities based on the medical complexity of patients.
Does this page answer your questions about Vi at Grayhawk, a Vi and Plaza Companies Community?
Short-term Care Quality
The third category we looked at is short-term care. This nursing home performed well in our short-term care category also. We awarded them an exemplary grade of A+ in this area. In computing our short-term care grades, we size up a nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other licensed professionals. This rating is more often than not a solid measure of a facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. When we assessed this facility's nursing hours, we found it offered substantially more care from registered nurses than most nursing homes. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents that were able to return home from this facility. We found that it fared as well as just about any facility in the country in this area with 74.2 percent of its residents returning home. Most nursing homes are below 50 percent in this metric.
Switching gears to our final area, this nursing home also was awarded an A+ nursing rating, making it one of the few of nursing homes to achieve straight A+'s. Nursing ratings are mostly based on a nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home boasts a really impressive 5.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day, of which a significant percentage was provided by registered nurses. This is one of the most highly trained levels of nurses. On top of offering high levels of nursing care, this place also excelled in several of the quality-based metrics we looked at. With under five percent of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the country in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Vi at Grayhawk, a Vi and Plaza Companies Community Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Vi at Grayhawk, a Vi and Plaza Companies Community, 8.93% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who developed pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Vi at Grayhawk, a Vi and Plaza Companies Community, 2.27% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents which have had a fall which resulted in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Vi at Grayhawk, a Vi and Plaza Companies Community, 1.6% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely linked to a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this datapoint may also be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Vi at Grayhawk, a Vi and Plaza Companies Community, 11.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Vi at Grayhawk, a Vi and Plaza Companies Community, 16.92% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Vi at Grayhawk, a Vi and Plaza Companies Community, 2.89% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some believe this is a reliable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Vi at Grayhawk, a Vi and Plaza Companies Community, 82.88% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Vi at Grayhawk, a Vi and Plaza Companies Community, 12.86% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath. Some would argue this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Vi at Grayhawk, a Vi and Plaza Companies Community, 23.01% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Vi at Grayhawk, a Vi and Plaza Companies Community, 1.32 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Vi at Grayhawk, a Vi and Plaza Companies Community, 23.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Vi at Grayhawk, a Vi and Plaza Companies Community, 10.98 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Vi at Grayhawk, a Vi and Plaza Companies Community, 73.79% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with activities of daily living usually correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
Scores for Scottsdale, AZ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Scottsdale, Arizona has 9 other nursing homes
- Scottsdale Thompson Peak Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.23 miles away7400 East Thompson Peak Parkway Scottsdale Arizona 85255Proprietary(480) 324-7001
- Mayo Clinic HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.21 miles away5777 East Mayo Boulevard Phoenix Arizona 85054Voluntary non-profit - Private(480) 342-4201
- Abrazo Scottsdale CampusAcute Care Hospitals 4.97 miles away3929 East Bell Road Phoenix Arizona 85032Proprietary(602) 923-5000
- Scottsdale Shea Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.27 miles away9003 East Shea Boulevard Scottsdale Arizona 85260Proprietary(480) 323-3000
- John C. Lincoln North Mountain HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.16 miles away250 East Dunlap Avenue Phoenix Arizona 85020Voluntary non-profit - Private(602) 331-5862
- Honorhealth Deer Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.49 miles away19829 North 27th Avenue Phoenix Arizona 85027Voluntary non-profit - Private(623) 879-6100
- Scottsdale Osborn Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.5 miles away7400 East Osborn Road Scottsdale Arizona 85251Proprietary(480) 882-4004
- Valley HospitalPsychiatric 13.75 miles away3550 East Pinchot Avenue Phoenix Arizona 85018Voluntary non-profit - Other(602) 957-4000
- North Scottsdale Dialysis (Fmc)2.66 miles away16101 N 82nd St Ste 6-7 Scottsdale Arizona 85260CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (480) 998-1842
- Northeast Phoenix Dialysis (Dsi)6.09 miles away3305 E Greenway Rd Ste 1 Phoenix Arizona 85032Dialysis Stations: 16 (602) 765-3919
- Desert Valley Dialysis (Fmc)6.5 miles away3815 E. Bell Road Ste. 1100 Phoenix Arizona 85032Dialysis Stations: 16 (602) 788-0755
- Desert Mountain Dialysis (Dva)6.79 miles away9220 E Mountain View Rd Ste 105 Scottsdale Arizona 85258Dialysis Stations: 24 (480) 391-2241
- Scottsdale Dialysis (Dva)9.02 miles away5705 N Scottsdale Rd, Ste 120 Scottsdale Arizona 85250Dialysis Stations: 12 (480) 941-3860
- Deer Valley Dialysis (Fmc)11.05 miles away21241 N 23rd Ave Ste 11 Phoenix Arizona 85027Dialysis Stations: 19 (623) 869-6089
- Fmc North Mountain11.74 miles away16605 North 28th Avenue Suite 100 Phoenix Arizona 85053Dialysis Stations: 25 (602) 863-7954
- Fmc Old Town Scottsdale11.95 miles away4141 N Scottsdale Rd Ste 100 Scottsdale Arizona 85251Dialysis Stations: 25 (480) 946-1455