Vero Health & Rehab of Mattapan is an average-sized nursing home in Mattapan, Massachusetts. This facility received an overall grade of D based on the data we looked at. If you are not satisfied with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you may have to look in other cities as this is the only nursing home in Mattapan. More information on this nursing home's category grades may be found below. Its best category was nursing, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
Vero Health & Rehab of Mattapan
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
405 River Street,
Mattapan MA 02126
88.7% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Vero Health & Rehab of Mattapan has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not have many favorable things to say about this facility's overall score, it did receive a respectable nursing rating of B-. Nursing grades are based in large part on nurse staffing levels. This particular facility provided just 3.2 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This figure is far below average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place fared better in some of the quality measures we looked at. In fact, it performed well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is as important as the quantity of hours of care offered.
Short-term Care Quality
The second best area we gave this nursing home in any category came in the area of short-term care, where we gave it a B-. In crafting our short-term care ratings, we look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The objective is to devise a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. Unfortunately, we found that this facility provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The final statistic we assessed in this area is the number of residents that returned home from the facility. This nursing home performed better in this statistic. This place performed better than most facilities in this area with 50.2 percent of its patients returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about Vero Health & Rehab of Mattapan?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next best category is its long-term care score, where it was awarded a B-. With our long-term care score, we focus more on the amount of services offered by a nursing home, as well as a few quality metrics. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 92.703865 percent of its patients. This is slightly below what we were hoping for but still a decent figure. On a more positive note, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 1.61 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home has fewer hospitalizations than the average nursing home.
Moving on the final category of government inspections, we gave this nursing home a D for our inspection category. This proved to be this facility's weakest category. We take a poor score in this category very seriously. Inspection ratings factor in many items on the nursing home's inspection reports. When you see severe deficiencies on the reports, this is generally a bad sign. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to resident safety. This particular facility was hit with 2 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only positive thing we can say is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that suggest that they created a threat to patient health or safety. Lastly, this nursing home was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. This is generally a really bad sign. We would never recommend this facility.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Vero Health & Rehab of Mattapan Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Vero Health & Rehab of Mattapan, 6.42% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients which suffered from pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are an barometer of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Vero Health & Rehab of Mattapan, 3.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are often linked to poor nursing care. More supervision can reduce the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Vero Health & Rehab of Mattapan, 2.4% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . UTI's are often the result of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this datapoint could also be misleading for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Vero Health & Rehab of Mattapan, 19.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for a variety of conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Vero Health & Rehab of Mattapan, 19% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Vero Health & Rehab of Mattapan, 1.96% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Higher levels of depression could indicate lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Vero Health & Rehab of Mattapan, 91.59% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Vero Health & Rehab of Mattapan, 15.22% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Vero Health & Rehab of Mattapan, 19.05% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents that maintained mobility.
In Vero Health & Rehab of Mattapan, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Vero Health & Rehab of Mattapan, 19.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Vero Health & Rehab of Mattapan, 10.96 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Vero Health & Rehab of Mattapan, 70.74% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements.
- Carney HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.35 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124Proprietary(617) 506-2000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Milton IncAcute Care Hospitals 1.44 miles away199 Reedsdale Road Milton Massachusetts 02186Government - Federal(617) 696-4600
- Brigham and Women's Faulkner HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.82 miles away1153 Centre Street Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 983-7000
- Boston Medical Center Corporation-Acute Care Hospitals 4.63 miles away1 Boston Medical Center Place Boston Massachusetts 02118Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 638-8000
- Brigham and Women's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.69 miles away75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 732-5500
- Boston Children's HospitalChildrens 4.78 miles away300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 735-6000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.99 miles away330 Brookline Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 667-7000
- Tufts Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.76 miles away800 Washington Street Boston Massachusetts 02111Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 636-5000
- Boston Dialysis Center (Bma Boston)1.38 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue 1 South Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 298-2475
- Dci Brigham/Faulkner3.03 miles awayDci Brigham/Faulkner 1153 Centre Street, Belkin House Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 983-4470
- Mary Eliza Mahoney Dialysis Center (Bma of Massachusetts)3.29 miles away416 Warren Street Roxbury Massachusetts 02119CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (617) 445-9989
- Us Renal Care Quincy3.68 miles away500 Victory Road Quincy Massachusetts 02171Dialysis Stations: 10 (617) 472-7800
- Davita Brookline Dialysis4.66 miles away322 Washington Street Brookline Massachusetts 02445CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (617) 734-7794
- Davita Boston Dialysis4.88 miles awayDialysis Unit 660 Harrison Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02118CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (617) 859-7000
- Brigham and Women's Hospital4.9 miles awayDialysis Unit 75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Dialysis Stations: 7 (617) 732-6130
- Children's Hospital Boston4.9 miles awayDialysis Unit, Farley Four 300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Dialysis Stations: 7 (617) 355-7631