Van Dyk Manor Montclair is one of just a few available facilities in Montclair, New Jersey. After receiving an A+ overall grade, this facility has the distinction of being one of the top 50 nursing homes in New Jersey. You really can't do any better than this nursing home. One of the major highlights of this nursing home's stellar profile is its nursing rating. Nursing grades are discussed in the next section.
Van Dyk Manor Montclair
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to a phenomenal overall grade, this facility also received A+ nursing grade. Our nursing score is largely tied to the nursing home's nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
This facility has received near flawless government inspections in recent years. We gave them an A in this area. These inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Van Dyk Manor Montclair?
Short-term Care Quality
The third category we looked at is short-term care. Contributing to its high-end profile, this facility also performed well in this area. In fact, we gave it a of A for the category. Our short-term care ratings are crucial for patients seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually requires more skilled nursing services. This includes a wide scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
In the final category we scored, this facility received a very favorable grade of A- in our long-term care category. With this score, the facility finished off a straight A report card. Facilities that excel in this category typically provide residents with better supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. Once we finished looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia sadly is often a deadly condition for nursing home residents so we like it when a nursing home does not leave its residents vulnerable. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Van Dyk Manor Montclair Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Van Dyk Manor Montclair, 9.57% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term stay patients which developed new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Van Dyk Manor Montclair, 2.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls leading to injury are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Van Dyk Manor Montclair, 1.73% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely associated with worse hygiene protocols. Better nursing care minimizes the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Van Dyk Manor Montclair, 10.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Van Dyk Manor Montclair, 17.5% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Van Dyk Manor Montclair, 5.81% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients demonstrating depressive symptoms. Higher rates of depression could imply lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Van Dyk Manor Montclair, 92% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Van Dyk Manor Montclair, 10.99% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and continence. Some argue this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Van Dyk Manor Montclair, 14.79% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Van Dyk Manor Montclair, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Van Dyk Manor Montclair, 14.79 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Van Dyk Manor Montclair, 8.17 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Van Dyk Manor Montclair, 80.57% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements.
- Essex County Hospital CenterPsychiatric 2.11 miles away204 Grove Avenue Cedar Grove New Jersey 07009Government - Local(973) 571-2801
- East Orange General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.78 miles away300 Central Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 266-4401
- St Mary's General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.13 miles away350 Boulevard Passaic New Jersey 07055Proprietary(973) 365-4300
- University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.84 miles away150 Bergen St Newark New Jersey 07101Government - State(973) 972-5658
- Saint Barnabas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.84 miles away94 Old Short Hills Road Livingston New Jersey 07039Voluntary non-profit - Other(973) 322-5000
- St Joseph's University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.36 miles away703 Main St Paterson New Jersey 07503Voluntary non-profit - Church(973) 754-2010
- Newark Beth Israel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.82 miles away201 Lyons Ave Newark New Jersey 07112Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 926-7850
- Hudson Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.02 miles away55 Meadowlands Pkwy Secaucus New Jersey 07094Proprietary(201) 392-3200
- Fresenius Medical Care North Montclair0.08 miles away114 Valley Road Montclair New Jersey 07042CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 744-2058
- Mountainside Hospital0.53 miles awayDialysis Unit 1 Bay Avenue Montclair New Jersey 07042Dialysis Stations: 30 (973) 429-6767
- Fmc Bloomfield Dc2.35 miles away206 Belleville Avenue Bloomfield New Jersey 07003CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 680-8100
- Total Renal Care, Inc West Orange Dialysis2.9 miles away375 Mount Pleasant Avenue Ste 340 West Orange New Jersey 07052Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 243-7069
- Fkc Belleville3.47 miles away36 Newark Avenue Suite 304 Belleville New Jersey 07109Dialysis Stations: 16 (973) 450-0385
- Davita East Orange Dialysis3.82 miles away14-20 Prospect Street East Orange New Jersey 07017CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (973) 672-2025
- Fmc Orange Dc3.96 miles away258 Central Ave Orange New Jersey 07050CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (973) 675-3400
- Ea Orange Gen Hospital3.96 miles away310 Central Avenue Medical Arts Building - Dialysis Unit East Orange New Jersey 07017CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (973) 395-4035