Valley Vista Nursing and Transitional Care is one of six facilities in North Hollywood, California. This nursing home proved to be a middle of the road facility, with an overall grade of B-. This grade is right in line with the city grade in North Hollywood. The best part of this facility's profile was is its nursing grade. We discuss nursing in the next section.
Valley Vista Nursing and Transitional Care
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
6120 N. Vineland Ave,
North Hollywood CA 91606
71.24% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to earning a great overall grade, this nursing home really excelled in the category of nursing, where it received an A-. Few nursing homes fared better in this category. Nursing scores are largely based on the facility's nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
This nursing home also received a strong inspection score. Inspection grades are based on the facility's recent health inspections. We gave this nursing home a B in this area. Perhaps the most significant factor we look at in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Places with better grades in this category typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This facility received 11 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This indicates that CMS did not deem any of these deficiencies to cause an imminent risk to resident safety or health. A couple relatively minor dings aren't the end of the world.
Does this page answer your questions about Valley Vista Nursing and Transitional Care?
Long-term Care Quality
The third category we assessed was long-term care, where this facility was given a grade of B- in this area. In determining these long-term care scores, we look at the nursing home's personal care services. On top of considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is better than the vast majority of nursing homes. This place was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we graded was short-term care. We awarded this facility a B- in that category. In the category of short-term care, we attempt to qualify measures of a facility's rehabilitation. We assess the facility's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who ultimately returned home from this nursing home. We found that 3 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was actually well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Valley Vista Nursing and Transitional Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Valley Vista Nursing and Transitional Care, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols minimizes the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Valley Vista Nursing and Transitional Care, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision. Additional nurse staffing minimizes the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Valley Vista Nursing and Transitional Care, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who have had a UTI. UTI's could be an indicator of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic could also be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Valley Vista Nursing and Transitional Care, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Valley Vista Nursing and Transitional Care, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are typically prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Valley Vista Nursing and Transitional Care, 4.64% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who are showing signs of depression. Some would argue that this is a reliable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Valley Vista Nursing and Transitional Care, 95.44% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Valley Vista Nursing and Transitional Care, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate erosion of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Valley Vista Nursing and Transitional Care, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Valley Vista Nursing and Transitional Care, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Valley Vista Nursing and Transitional Care, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Valley Vista Nursing and Transitional Care, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Scores for North Hollywood, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? North Hollywood, California has 5 other nursing homes
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 2.98 miles away501 South Buena Vista Street Burbank California 91505Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 843-5111
- Pacifica Hospital of the ValleyAcute Care Hospitals 4.38 miles away9449 San Fernando Rd Sun Valley California 91352Proprietary(818) 767-3310
- Sherman Oaks HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.7 miles away4929 Van Nuys Blvd Sherman Oaks California 91403Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 981-7111
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 6.52 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Cedars-Sinai Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.37 miles away8700 Beverly Blvd Los Angeles California 90048Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 423-5000
- Children's Hosp of Los AngelesChildrens 7.45 miles away4650 Sunset Blvd, Ms 108 Los Angeles California 90027Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 669-2164
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.52 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.53 miles away1300 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles California 90027Proprietary(213) 413-3000
- Davita-North Hollywood Dialysis1.54 miles away12126 Victory Blvd. North Hollywood California 91606CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (818) 980-5070
- Davita-Burbank Dialysis2.9 miles away1211 N. San Fernando Blvd. Burbank California 91504CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 842-5576
- Fmc-Burbank3.09 miles away2031 Alameda Avenue, Suite 202 Burbank California 91506CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (818) 845-3830
- Laurel Canyon Dialysis, LLC3.9 miles away8987 Laurel Canyon Blvd. Sun Valley California 91352CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (818) 771-9950
- u.s. Renal Care Van Nuys Dialysis4.49 miles away14624 Sherman Way, Suite 106 Van Nuys California 91405CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (818) 994-2333
- Davita Van Nuys Dialysis4.64 miles away14434 Sherman Way Van Nuys California 91405Dialysis Stations: 37 (818) 787-8225
- u.s. Renal Care Sherman Oaks Dialysis4.72 miles away4955 Van Nuys Blvd., Suite 111 Sherman Oaks California 91403Dialysis Stations: 18 (818) 285-5913
- Fmc-Van Nuys4.86 miles away14812 Oxnard Street Van Nuys California 91411CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 781-7888