Valley Grande Manor is an average-sized government-owned facility in Weslaco, Texas. This nursing home was given an overall grade of D, which is a well below average grade. If you are not satisfied with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you may have to look in other cities as this is the only nursing home in Weslaco. This place's only redeeming quality is its inspection score, which we provide more information about below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Valley Grande Manor
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Weslaco senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - Hospital district
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall score was not a highlight, it actually really excelled in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it an A for that category, which is one of our best scores. Inspection grades are based on several items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important item to look for on these reports. You should especially avoid facilities with severe deficiencies associated with risks to resident well being. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the area of long-term care, this nursing home was awarded just a D in this category. Unfortunately, this ended up being its second best grade. When facilities receive this type of score in this category it is typically a bad sign for patient care and it may mean that the facility is not as well-staffed with nurses and aids. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Frankly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this facility vaccinated just 58.24742 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this place was actually decent at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Valley Grande Manor?
We were stunned to find that this nursing home also excelled in the category of nursing. We gave it a score of D for that category, which is one of our highest scores. Nursing grades are based in large part on quality and quantity of nursing care. This facility provided only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing scores. This place fared well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these statistics to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we assessed is short-term care, which ended up being this facility's least impressive area. We gave this nursing home a grade of D in that category. Short-term care grades are typically used to assess a nursing home's rehabilitation services. In order to have highly rated rehabilitation services, facilities generally must provide higher levels of skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other types of therapists. Given its score in this area, we weren't stunned to learn that this facility was well below average in terms of its number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its patients based on the measures we looked at. Frankly, this was about what we expected to find. The last item we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients who who were able to eventually return home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 5.5 percent of its residents returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Valley Grande Manor Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Valley Grande Manor, 7.17% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Valley Grande Manor, 3.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Falls are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Valley Grande Manor, 1.52% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Valley Grande Manor, 10.14% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to patients for many medical conditions, including dementia. Sadly, in some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Valley Grande Manor, 22.67% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. These medications are commonly given to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Valley Grande Manor, 4.84% of Patients
This is the percent of residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Valley Grande Manor, 93.69% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Valley Grande Manor, 17.58% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and bathing. Many would argue this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Valley Grande Manor, 13.47% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Valley Grande Manor, 1.89 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Valley Grande Manor, 13.47 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Valley Grande Manor, 11.91 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Valley Grande Manor, 66.29% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some argue that this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
- Knapp Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.42 miles away1401 East Eight Street Weslaco Texas 78596Voluntary non-profit - Private(956) 968-8567
- South Texas Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 14.83 miles away1102 W Trenton Road Edinburg Texas 78539Proprietary(956) 632-4484
- Rio Grande Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.4 miles away101 E Ridge Rd Mcallen Texas 78503Proprietary(956) 632-6000
- Doctors Hospital at RenaissanceAcute Care Hospitals 15.63 miles away5501 South Mccoll Edinburg Texas 78539Physician(956) 362-8677
- Cornerstone Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.7 miles away2302 Cornerstone Boulevard Edinburg Texas 78539Proprietary(956) 618-4444
- Rio Grande State CenterPsychiatric 17.28 miles away1401 Rangerville Road Harlingen Texas 78550Government - State(956) 364-8000
- Harlingen Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.22 miles away5501 South Expressway 77 Harlingen Texas 78550Proprietary(956) 365-1000
- Vhs Harlingen Hospital Company LLCAcute Care Hospitals 19.68 miles away2101 Pease St Harlingen Texas 78550Proprietary(956) 389-1100
- Weslaco Renal Center0.28 miles away910 Utah Weslaco Texas 78596CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (956) 968-1895
- Biomedical Applications of Texas, Inc0.33 miles away1010 Rone Drive Weslaco Texas 78596Dialysis Stations: 23 (956) 973-0002
- Us Renal Care Mid Valley Weslaco Dialysis0.56 miles away1005 S. Airport Drive Weslaco Texas 78596CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (956) 968-5806
- Weslaco Dialysis Facility1.75 miles away1614 E Commercial Drive Weslaco Texas 78599CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (956) 973-1970
- Renal Treatment Centers of Southeast, Lp4.35 miles away1307 Cameron St Mercedes Texas 78570Dialysis Stations: 21 (956) 514-2596
- Davita Donna Dialysis4.82 miles away1006 East Hwy 2 Donna Texas 78537Dialysis Stations: 21 (956) 461-2519
- Fresenius Medical Care Tri-City9.26 miles away734 North Alamo Road Alamo Texas 78516CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (956) 783-5628
- Us Renal Care Delta Dialysis9.78 miles away400 E. Edinburg Blvd Elsa Texas 78543CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (956) 262-3400