Arcadia Medical Resort of University Place is an average-sized nursing home located in University Place, Washington. We awarded this nursing home an overall grade of D. A score of this caliber typically suggests some red flags. If you are not satisfied with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you may have to look in other cities as this is the only nursing home in University Place. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's report card is its impressive nursing grade. You can continue reading to find out about nursing and other category grades
Arcadia Medical Resort of University Place
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
Although we were not high on this nursing home overall, we awarded it a B+ for our nursing rating. This score is quite a bit more impressive than the facility's overall grade. Our nursing rating looks at the facility's level of nurse staffing. We look at both the levels of licensure of the nurses as well as the amount of time spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of turning residents more frequently.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next most favorable area is its short-term care score, where it was awarded a B-. In our short-term care assessment, we strive to create a valuable gauge for rehabilitation. In doing so, we analyze the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. We were surprised to find that this nursing home was below average in the two key staffing areas we looked at. The facility offered fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.3 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Arcadia Medical Resort of University Place ?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the area of long-term care, this nursing home was given a grade of just D in that area. In a long-term care setting, the facility's primary goal is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. One of the statistics we considered in addition to nursing hours is vaccinations. Fortunately, this nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to 98.181816 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Turning to our final category of inspections, this facility received a grade that's as bad as it gets. We weight this category more heavily than our other categories. With facilities that received this bad of an inspection rating, we would scrutinize any severe deficiencies on its inspection report. This nursing home was hit with a category J through K deficiency, which are among the worst categories of deficiencies. Lastly, we also want to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home was assessed significant government fines recently totaling more than $100,000. This typically means that a nursing home's poor performance has been an issue for multiple years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Arcadia Medical Resort of University Place Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Arcadia Medical Resort of University Place , 7.09% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic measures the percent of long-term residents that developed pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Arcadia Medical Resort of University Place , 2.86% of Patients had Serious Falls
This gauges the percentage of long-term care residents that had falls which caused severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Arcadia Medical Resort of University Place , 2.28% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Arcadia Medical Resort of University Place , 13.8% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term care patients that were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such medications are not medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely more on these medications due to having more patients with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Arcadia Medical Resort of University Place , 12.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are commonly prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Arcadia Medical Resort of University Place , 13.74% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients exhibiting depressive symptoms. Some experts believe this is a measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Arcadia Medical Resort of University Place , 93.71% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Arcadia Medical Resort of University Place , 13.94% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate the erosion of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Arcadia Medical Resort of University Place , 21.78% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who retained mobility levels.
In Arcadia Medical Resort of University Place , 1 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Arcadia Medical Resort of University Place , 21.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Arcadia Medical Resort of University Place , 10.98 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Arcadia Medical Resort of University Place , 74.42% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- St Clare HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.91 miles away11315 Bridgeport Way S W Lakewood Washington 98499Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 588-1711
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.83 miles away1717 South J Street Tacoma Washington 98405Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 627-4101
- Madigan Amc (Ft Lewis)Acute Care - Department of Defense 6.9 miles away9040 Jackson Avenue Tacoma Washington 98431Department of Defense(253) 968-1110
- St Francis Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.5 miles away34515 9th Avenue South Federal Way Washington 98003Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 944-8100
- Multicare Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.58 miles away401 15th Avenue Se Puyallup Washington 98372Voluntary non-profit - Private(253) 697-2102
- St Anthony HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.67 miles away11567 Canterwood Boulevard Nw Gig Harbor Washington 98332Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 530-2050
- Multicare Auburn Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.87 miles away202 North Division Street Plaza One Auburn Washington 98001Voluntary non-profit - Private(253) 833-7711
- Providence St Peter HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.97 miles away413 Lilly Road Ne Olympia Washington 98506Voluntary non-profit - Private(360) 491-9480
- Lakewood Community Dialysis Center3.07 miles away5919 Lakewood Towne Center Blvd Sw #A Lakewood Washington 98499CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (253) 512-2400
- Renal Care Group Northwest, Inc.3.37 miles away5825 Tacoma Mall Blvd Ste 103 Tacoma Washington 98409CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (253) 671-9937
- Tacoma Dialysis Center3.57 miles away3401 S 19th St Tacoma Washington 98405CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (253) 573-1600
- Rainier View Dialysis Center3.67 miles away1822 112th St East Suite A Tacoma Washington 98445CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 10 (253) 539-5659
- Renal Care Group Northwest, Inc.4.89 miles away1717 South J Street Tacoma Washington 98405Dialysis Stations: 20 (253) 627-1995
- Parkland Dialysis Center5.16 miles away311 140th St S Tacoma Washington 98444CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (253) 536-5961
- Renal Care Group Northwest, Inc.5.89 miles away1415 E 72nd St Tacoma Washington 98404CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (253) 474-2310
- Renal Care Group Northwest, Inc.8.82 miles away4700 Point Fosdick Dr Nw Ste 101 Gig Harbor Washington 98335Dialysis Stations: 12 (253) 851-0330