University Place Nursing Center is located in the densely populated metropolitan area of Houston, Texas. This facility received an overall grade of D based on the data we looked at. Fortunately, if you aren't satisfied with this facility, there are 60 nursing homes to choose from in the city so you should be able to find a better option. More information on this facility's category grades is available below. Its best category was nursing, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
University Place Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Note: University Place Nursing Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Houston senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not rate this facility well overall, we want to point out its decent grade of B- in the category of nursing. In computing a facility's nursing grade, we look at the amount of time nurses are caring for patients and the levels of training of the nurses. This nursing home averages just 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home surprisingly excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. In fact, it scored well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these areas to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is as important as the number of hours of care provided.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's next highest area ended up being its short-term care score, where it was awarded a grade of B-. In crafting these short-term care scores, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The purpose is to create a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. In this place's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than a typical facility. The final statistic we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents that ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 6 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below average.
Does this page answer your questions about University Place Nursing Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The next most favorable area we awarded this nursing home in any category came in the category of long-term care, where we awarded it a B-. In calculating our long-term care scores, we size up the assistance with daily living offered to the nursing home's patients. After we finished assessing the amount of nursing care, we then looked at the facility's vaccination statistics. Frankly, we were a bit alarmed this nursing home vaccinated only 75 percent of its residents against pneumonia. On a more positive note, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Turning to our final category of inspections, this facility received a grade that's as bad as it gets. We weight this category more heavily than our other categories. When a facility has this bad of an inspection score, you should expect some severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to patient safety. This facility had 2 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only favorable thing we found is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they caused a risk to resident health or safety. Finally, CMS flagged this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. This is not what you want to see. We advise you to direct your search elsewhere.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
University Place Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In University Place Nursing Center, 7.32% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents who suffered from pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a reliable indicator of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In University Place Nursing Center, 0% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure gauges the percent of long-term residents who have sustained falls which resulted in major injury. We use this statistic in calculating nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In University Place Nursing Center, 2.13% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often associated with a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint may also be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In University Place Nursing Center, 15.38% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to patients for many medical conditions, including dementia. Sadly, in limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In University Place Nursing Center, 2.38% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly prescribed to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In University Place Nursing Center, 0% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In University Place Nursing Center, 85.94% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In University Place Nursing Center, 7.69% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In University Place Nursing Center, 3.1% of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In University Place Nursing Center, 3.1% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In University Place Nursing Center, 5.83% of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In University Place Nursing Center, 51.1% of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term patients who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Houston, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Houston, Texas has 59 other nursing homes
- Hca Houston Healthcare WestAcute Care Hospitals 5.37 miles away12141 Richmond Ave Houston Texas 77082Proprietary(281) 588-8080
- Memorial Hermann Memorial City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.35 miles away921 Gessner Houston Texas 77024Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 242-3000
- Texas Orthopedic HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.57 miles away7401 South Main Street Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Other(713) 799-8600
- Sun Behavioral HoustonPsychiatric 7.01 miles away7601 Fannin Street Houston Texas 77054Proprietary(713) 795-5025
- Womans Hospital of Texas,TheAcute Care Hospitals 7.06 miles away7600 Fannin Houston Texas 77054Proprietary(713) 790-1234
- Texas Childrens HospChildrens 7.14 miles away6621 Fannin Street Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(832) 824-1000
- Houston Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.25 miles away6565 Fannin Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 790-2221
- Memorial Hermann Texas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.44 miles away6411 Fannin Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 704-3700
- Sng Bellaire Dialysis Center Lp0.59 miles away7243 Bissonnet Street Suite A Houston Texas 77074Dialysis Stations: 13 (713) 988-7200
- Bio-Medical Applications of Texas, Inc.0.77 miles away8700 S Gessner Suite 300 Houston Texas 77074Dialysis Stations: 25 (713) 988-1137
- Pharis Dialysis, LLC1.38 miles away8486 Bellaire Blvd. Houston Texas 77036Dialysis Stations: 20 (713) 774-0309
- Beechnut Dialysis1.48 miles away8325 Beechnut Houston Texas 77036Dialysis Stations: 24 (713) 772-5228
- Fresenius Medical Care Fondren1.86 miles away7011 Regency Square Blvd Houston Texas 77036CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (713) 782-1810
- Sng - Hillcroft Dialysis Center2.12 miles away6015 Hillcroft, Suite 3000 Houston Texas 77081Dialysis Stations: 20 (713) 772-0992
- Dsi Chinatown Hemodialysis, LLC2.3 miles away7329 W Houston Parkway S, Suite 101b Houston Texas 77072Dialysis Stations: 13 (713) 773-2124
- Dsi Chinatown Home, LLC2.3 miles away7329 W Houston Parkway S Suite 101b Houston Texas 77072Dialysis Stations: 4 (713) 773-2124